Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Problem

Options
  • 24-09-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have been given an unused new Canon MG3050 printer as a gift, and I am having a problem finding a driver for it. I am still using win xpsp3( I know), can anyone help me find a driver or a workaround? Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

What version of windows do you have?

Edit: Nevermind. Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

xpsp3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It would appear they only list drivers for Vista SP2 and newer. Maybe it might work anyway. Or perhaps you could install a dual-boot Linux, they have several Linux drivers for it.

What version of windows do you have?

Edit: Nevermind. Here you go
    This is the route I have gone down, and it doesn't work, but thanks for your input. D

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    It would appear they only list drivers for Vista SP2 and newer. Maybe it might work anyway. Or perhaps you could install a dual-boot Linux, they have several Linux drivers for it.
    Unfortunately didn't work. How would I go about your suggestion, considering I'm not very up on computers /software things!

• Advertisement

david65 wrote: »
    This is the route I have gone down, and it doesn't work, but thanks for your input. D

According to this thread it should work if you install the XP Essentials pack

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This page 'seems' to indicate the drivers will work with XP sp3. Worth a fiddle about with.
    https://www.canondrivers.org/canon-mg3050-printer-driver-setup/

According to this thread it should work if you install the XP Essentials pack
    Vista is the min for this as far I can see, but I will keep trying!

spurious wrote: »
    This page 'seems' to indicate the drivers will work with XP sp3. Worth a fiddle about with.
    https://www.canondrivers.org/canon-mg3050-printer-driver-setup/
    Thanks for the link I will have a trick around tonight while the OH watches Stricktly. D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Unfortunately didn't work. How would I go about your suggestion, considering I'm not very up on computers /software things!

1. Backup anything you NEED (family photos, masters thesis, whatever) on your disk. With XPSP3, your disk is getting old anyway, so do this anyway
    2. Choose a Linux distribution, check the drivers listed in the Canon site
    3. Find if you have enough space on your hard disk
    4. download it (an .ISO file) and burn to a CD/DVD as an image
    5.leave it in optical drive and reboot, it should start up running from the DVD
    and it should give an option to install to local hard disk. So far it hasn't changed anything.
    6. There's a Unix forum here (which also covers Linux)

7. There's possibly another workaround option. Find out if your processor supports virtualisation. Maybe you could run a Linux "virtual machine". This is like a Windows program pretending to be a computer within a computer. You might need say 4GB ram to run well though.

All getting too techy? Might be easier to get a Win7 laptop, you really shouldn't be still using XP unless you never go online. You'd get a core2duo vintage Win7 for 50-100 euro easy enough. I use one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Try downloading the driver to the desktop, right click and select, run in compatibility mode and select XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    1. Backup anything you NEED (family photos, masters thesis, whatever) on your disk. With XPSP3, your disk is getting old anyway, so do this anyway
    2. Choose a Linux distribution, check the drivers listed in the Canon site
    3. Find if you have enough space on your hard disk
    4. download it (an .ISO file) and burn to a CD/DVD as an image
    5.leave it in optical drive and reboot, it should start up running from the DVD
    and it should give an option to install to local hard disk. So far it hasn't changed anything.
    6. There's a Unix forum here (which also covers Linux)

7. There's possibly another workaround option. Find out if your processor supports virtualisation. Maybe you could run a Linux "virtual machine". This is like a Windows program pretending to be a computer within a computer. You might need say 4GB ram to run well though.

All getting too techy? Might be easier to get a Win7 laptop, you really shouldn't be still using XP unless you never go online. You'd get a core2duo vintage Win7 for 50-100 euro easy enough. I use one myself.

Are you really serious?

The OP clearly has limited technical knowledge (no offence OP) and you're telling him to install Linux to get a ****ing printer working????

Believe it or not, Linux, is not the answer to every problem and I fail to see how installing it is going to solve the OPs issue, which is he cannot use a printer on Windows XP!

davo2001 wrote: »
    Are you really serious?

The OP clearly has limited technicak knowledge (no offence OP) and you're telling him to install Linux to get a ****ing printer working????

Believe it or not, Linux, is not the answer to every problem and I fail to see how installing it is going to solve the OPs issue, which is he cannot use a printer on Windows XP!
    Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. I have just got the printer working using a driver for vista32, everything seems to work ok, again thanks. D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. I have just got the printer working using a driver for vista32, everything seems to work ok, again thanks. D

Well done. Printers can drive you looney sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP, i'm thinking about getting that printer is it ok?does it work alright wi fi wise?

fryup wrote: »
    OP, i'm thinking about getting that printer is it ok?does it work alright wi fi wise?
    After all the f*****g around I had to do I never pushed my luck to stray away from the usb cable. Remember though, that I was having a problem trying to get it to work on XP. If you are using Vista and upwards you probably won't have problems. After saying that the print quality is quite reasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Re: this printer - canon mg3050

keep getting a..."printer in error state" message

anyone know whats going on?

Advertisement