Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen wipers enabling head/tail lights

Options
  • 20-09-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭

With so many eejits driving in rainy conditions with no lights on, where visibility can be almost nil, especially on roads with fast moving traffic such as motorways, would it be a good idea if windscreen wipers could be linked to the head/tail lights?

If you're wipers are on full (not intermittent), it can be assumed that the rain is heavy enough to wet the ground and therefore create spray which in turn lowers visibility. If the head and tail lights cam on automatically once the wipers are set to this mode, then everyone will be lit up. Cost wise, I would imagine this would cost almost nothing to the manufacturer and it would also be extremely easy to implement into the design of a new car

Perhaps this sort of system already exists as law in other countries and I think it's something that would be a fantastic idea to have as a mandatory safety feature fitted to all new vehicles.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Idiots will always be idiots no matter how much hand holding you give them. I've seen clowns driving in the dark with no headlights on in cars that I know have auto lights fitted as standard. They have the headlight switch set to manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

highdef wrote: »
    Perhaps this sort of system already exists as law in other countries and I think it's something that would be a fantastic idea to have as a mandatory safety feature fitted to all new vehicles.

DRLs are now required on all new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

b318isp wrote: »

Ford don't. Not as standard they are optional extra.

Hmm, are they breaking the law then?

"Since 2011, DLRs are mandatory for all new cars and small delivery vans in the EU. Trucks and buses followed in August 2012. Vehicles produced before don't have to be retrofitted."

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/topics/vehicles/daytime_running_lights_en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Already exists. Its on my 151 passat and do not think it's new.

• Advertisement

They do have them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

DRLs don't enable the headlights or tail lights though....just lower wattage lights at the front. DRLs are of little use during heavy rain on a motorway when the rear end of the car (in spray) is not illuminated.

Also, that's correct about Fords and DRLs - They are an optional extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Is this all Ford models or just the Focus? If just the Focus, I believe it might be because the current model Focus was introduced before the DRL rules were implemented. Although a facelift Focus was introduced in 2015, it's still essentially the same as before, ie: not a brand new model.

The current model was introduced in 2011 so it would have been finalised earlier, probably 2010....before the DRL rules came in.

I could be completely wrong though, I'm open to correction.

DRLs are of little use during heavy rain on a motorway when the rear end of the car (in spray) is not illuminated.

That's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You mean LED DRLs maybe ?

Our vans even have them, just normal bulbs, nothing fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

I was in New Jersey during the summer and it is state law that if your wipers are on your headlights have to be on.

Why don’t we just make it mandatory here that when your engine is on your lights have to be on?
    Is there any valid argument against this?

Another problem is bad driver behaviour with cars fitted with DRLs and the driver thinking thy have their lights on because their dash is lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I think DRL is a waste of time. I would love to see "wipers on mean lights on" made law instead of DRL's.

DRLs are very useful when it's not raining though.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

And some owners get the DRLs disconnected, saw a new 172 BMW lately with no DRLs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

SBPhoto wrote: »
    And some owners get the DRLs disconnected, saw a new 172 BMW lately with no DRLs!!

Not disconnected but just disabled in car settings.

While EU legislation forces all vehicles to be equipped in DRLs, there's no law in Ireland forcing anyone to use them, so they can be fully legally disabled.

Really silly, but I see a lot of new cars with disabled DRLs.
    MAD>

OSI wrote: »
    Never understood why they didn't make the rear lights being on at all times a requirement along with the DRLs the same way some Scandinavian countries already have it. I've coded my own car so the rear lights are on at all times along with the DRLs so there is not a single moment where the ignition is on and there aren't lights lit up front and rear and I cannot physically turn them off without recoding the car.

But why would you need rear tail lights on together with DRLs?
    I can't think of any possible scenario when they would be useful.

With so many eejits driving in rainy conditions with no lights on, where visibility can be almost nil, especially on roads with fast moving traffic such as motorways, would it be a good idea if windscreen wipers could be linked to the head/tail lights?

If you're wipers are on full (not intermittent), it can be assumed that the rain is heavy enough to wet the ground and therefore create spray which in turn lowers visibility. If the head and tail lights cam on automatically once the wipers are set to this mode, then everyone will be lit up. Cost wise, I would imagine this would cost almost nothing to the manufacturer and it would also be extremely easy to implement into the design of a new car

Opinions?

Indeed that sounds like a great idea.
    Lights should turn on automatically controlled by light sensor (plenty of cars have this already), as well as controller by rain sensor/wipers to come on during rain.
    They should also turn on during fog, but I unfortunately can't think of right sensor for that.

Any other conditions - front DRLs should be enough.

Here's one for you. Was driving a Mondeo lately which has a dusk sensor for the instrument panel lighting but no auto lights. Penny pinching.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Opinions?
    I have this on my 2005 Peugeot 407, after 5 consecutive swipes of the Wipers (not at intermittent level) the headlights come on automatically. If it could be done 12 years ago surely it can be done (probably better) in today's cars.

Could Ben a wiring glitch too :)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could Ben a wiring glitch too :)

Haha very likely.
    I got a diagbox from AliExpress to disable tyre pressure sensors on my 407 as it was malfunctioning.
    I also turned on automatic lights so they come on automatically after engine is started.
    As well i disabled drivers seatbelt alarm as I hate when it beeps when I'm reparking the car.

Only a while after I discovered that now when I exceed 120km/h the same alarm comes on and beeps all the way until speed falls below 120km/h. And as I don't remember turning on such feature, I wonder if that's also a wiring glitch?

P.s. obviously 120km/h thing was discovered on autobahn in case someone asks.

CiniO wrote: »
    Not disconnected but just disabled in car settings.

While EU legislation forces all vehicles to be equipped in DRLs, there's no law in Ireland forcing anyone to use them, so they can be fully legally disabled.

Really silly, but I see a lot of new cars with disabled DRLs.
    MAD>

I don't think DRLs can be disabled via the car settings on a 2017 BMW. My BMW is 2014 and the DRLs cannot be disabled via the car setting menu, it would need to be done via coding On my old 2011 BMW they could be disabled via car settings but they were an optional extra on that car and not a mandatory requirement.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think DRLs can be disabled via the car settings on a 2017 BMW. My BMW is 2014 and the DRLs cannot be disabled via the car setting menu, it would need to be done via coding On my old 2011 BMW they could be disabled via car settings but they were an optional extra on that car and not a mandatory requirement.

Sorry that's what I meant. That they can be disabled in settings accessible with diagnostics interface.
    I still don't get why anyone would want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Without a bit of sarcasm, I think it is a very good idea and have been for years surprised why it isn't implemented.

SBPhoto wrote: »

I hope this gets into NCT test soon. DRLs are required for type approval for some time now, disabling them invalidates the approval and makes the car road illegal.

OSI wrote: »
    You can understand the benefit of being more visible from the front with the use of lights, but you can't understand the benefit of being more visible from the rear with the use of lights?

Considering DRLs can only legally be used during daytime at good visibility, then there's no benefit of having rear tail lights on, as in such conditions they can't be seen anyway.
    In any other conditions where rear tail lights would be beneficial, front dipped headlights should be on anyway.

grogi wrote: »
    I hope this gets into NCT test soon. DRLs are required for type approval for some time now, disabling them invalidates the approval and makes the car road illegal.

Are you sure about that?
    I would have thought that having DRLs installed does not necessarily mean they need to be enabled if there no law forcing their usage.

Are you sure about that?
    I would have thought that having DRLs installed does not necessarily mean they need to be enabled if there no law forcing their usage.

DRLs need to be installed and be functional. And for them to be functional they need to be switched on when the car is in motion and dipped lights are of. When DRLs are off, they are effectively malfunctioning.

Sorry that's what I meant. That they can be disabled in settings accessible with diagnostics interface.
    I still don't get why anyone would want to do it.

Sure look at the battery power and bulb life you would save. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Paddystix

Have this with the new civic if the wipers are on constant during the day it turns on the headlights as well.

Advertisement