Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wellies-opinions

• 17-09-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi guys-this had probably been discussed but any thread I found was over 4years old. So my dunlops have given up the ghost and my replacement pair I got at last years ploughing have a leak after two weeks 😡.
    So decided to invest in a good pair. Always wore the dunlops but my feet get freezing in them in the winter.
    Ok so I want a long lasting pair that will keep my feet warm and preferably have some protection on my toes for when the calf decides to stomp on them. Also don't want ones too heavy so maybe foot protection won't work!! Oh and some freedom of movement in them as gates take too long to open sometimes!!
    I'm female as well btw.
    So what would people's preferred brands be? And if there are good websites that would be great as well!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

L1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys-this had probably been discussed but any thread I found was over 4years old. So my dunlops have given up the ghost and my replacement pair I got at last years ploughing have a leak after two weeks 😡.
    So decided to invest in a good pair. Always wore the dunlops but my feet get freezing in them in the winter.
    Ok so I want a long lasting pair that will keep my feet warm and preferably have some protection on my toes for when the calf decides to stomp on them. Also don't want ones too heavy so maybe foot protection won't work!! Oh and some freedom of movement in them as gates take too long to open sometimes!!
    I'm female as well btw.
    So what would people's preferred brands be? And if there are good websites that would be great as well!!

Wear Dunlop purflo myself. oh also has them

There is a winter version also that's fleece lined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Wear Dunlop purflo myself. oh also has them

There is a winter version also that's fleece lined
    Bekina all the way if you suffer from cold you could the insulated-ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

First time away from Dunlop for years Got a pair belkin I think they are last week. Very light and comfortable so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bekinas here aswell, find them very comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭kay 9

Bekina agrilite here, used to always wear aigles but chanced the agrilite last winter and have to admit they're more comfortable than the aigles.
    As I have size 13 I find it hard to find a snug Wellington but I can run in the bekinas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Both Bekin and Dunlops are wholesaled to co-ops or shops by westaro hosing, should have a stand at the ploughing aswell as displays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Was thinking that after-I'm going to the ploughing Thursday so I'll look them up and get a feel for them. I'm determined to get a good pair that don't give me frostbite!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Was thinking that after-I'm going to the ploughing Thursday so I'll look them up and get a feel for them. I'm determined to get a good pair that don't give me frostbite!!!

Look up the muck boot company, their pricey but you'll never even contemplate buying Dunlop/Bekina again after wearing a pair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Look up the muck boot company, their pricey but you'll never even contemplate buying Dunlop/Bekina again after wearing a pair

Got muckboots here. Happily wear them all day long. Three of us in work have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Every farmer needs at least 3 pairs of wellies. A good pair, the everyday pair and the old pair for cutting the lawn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

these are the most comfortable wellie I have ever worn ,Connaght agri ( or whatever they are called now) have them but are twice the price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweight-Wellingtons-Lemigo-rain-boots-EVA-grenlander-/221949784520?var=&hash=item33ad3cf1c8:m:mC5_OpJQUE8ePgyvVXtGl3g

Muckit wrote: »
    Every farmer needs at least 3 pairs of wellies. A good pair, the everyday pair and the old pair for cutting the lawn!
    I hate cutting the lawn so that's one job I usually wriggle out of!!! Not too concerned about the good pair as my stupid leaky Ones can do that now! Just want practical ,warm ,comfy, light ,calf feet proof wellies-not asking for a lot am i? Lol

There's a new crowd apparently that have set up a website selling all female farming/gardening attire. Spotted it in journal. Prettybird.ie

I usually go for a pair of dunlops. A pair with steel toe caps might be a good idea if dealing with calves! A good pair of socks is just as important as the welly for warmth. And get wellies just the right size, a size too big and they'll skin the heels off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭anthony500_1

Have a pair of insulated muck boots, light comfy and WARM. Have cold feet and I could wear these all day in winter, but do get a bit sweaty in milder weather. One word of caution is when new they are dangerous on wet concrete. Have a sloped yard and ended up flat on my arse One of the first times I wore them. Bought at the ploughing two years ago and still in good condition today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

What's the good pair for? Sunday mass? The occasional wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

A decent pair of insoles can solve the cold feet part. Never wear lined boots as would be two warm in most winters here I find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emaherx wrote: »
    What's the good pair for? Sunday mass? The occasional wedding?
    :D

I have a good pair for farm walks/the ploughing and they are disinfected and go on the farm when the older pair fail and a new pair bought for farm walks.

Bekinas are comfy but tend to split between the sole and the body of the wellie. They rarely get to 6 months before being replaced.

Dunlops tend to get holes in much the same place but aren't as comfortable, for me anyway, but I can get to 9 months or thereabouts before they start leaking.

Older wellies were much better, I used have to replace them after the pattern on the sole had worn away. Not a chance of that happening these days:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

I find they all split in the back of the left boot low down, where your foot is always up on the clutch in the jeep.

Must try and follow my daughters example and not bother using the clutch at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I've been wearing Dunlop prestige with years. Seem to outlast the other lads puroforts 3 to 1, and with the right socks I'm always toasty. Current pair are going on 3 years old, the last pair sprung a leak when I wore through the sole after 6 years. Granted, I wear boots as often as possible but the wellies aren't ever too idle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Muck boots are very good .. I had same problem on wet concrete but on looking into it ... i had wrong wellie... if you are using on concrete which we all are at some stage ... the one called the Chore is the one you want . Won't slip .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

There's a new crowd apparently that have set up a website selling all female farming/gardening attire. Spotted it in journal. Prettybird.ie

I saw that as well.

Great idea, but as the OH said it sounds like they got George Hook to choose the name.

Emmm had a look at pretty bird -only one pair and not high enough. Don't look too hard wearing either though they say they are...I'll see at the ploughing. I'll try get around to the different stands and see how I go. Would live in them in the winter so I want a good pair. We can get v Mucky gaps and yards here. Then again Dunlop and the insoles could be as good an option as any!!

If you are looking for a high sided comfortable wellie with insoles, you won't go too far wrong with a pair of hunter. And you'd have them for the price of a good handbag! :D:D:D

Oh muckit-don't bring the handbags into it!! U have no idea the cost of handbags! No way could I justify the cost of wellies with the cost of handbags.
    Be careful you don't declare handbags at dawn here lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bonnor

if your feet are getting cold , these are the only job Dunlop thermo+ are good up to temperatures of -50, I got a pair of them online off safetydirect.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If you are looking for a high sided comfortable wellie with insoles, you won't go too far wrong with a pair of hunter. And you'd have them for the price of a good handbag! :D:D:D

Ah now if you want to go down that road then it's le chameau wellies you want. You don't want her going around with a cheap handbag do you.

http://www.thewellyshop.com/le-chameau-chasseur-rubber-boots-italian-leather-lined-wellingtons-full-length-zip.html

Hunters are very comfortable. If you get the neoprene lined ones they're great in winter though warm in summer. Then again dunlops will be warm too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Bought a pair of muckboots this year after finally wearing out the old pair of dunlops. Love the muckboots. Something like memory foam in the insole, seriously comfortable for a long day standing TB testing. I think they'll be grand and warm for the Winter but if not you can always get separate welly liners on Ebay easily to slot into them. Used to have them in Canada for when it got down to -20/-40C :P

Guys to be fair I don't want to shame the cows going out in cheap old bits either-can't believe it took ye so long to mention the chameau it's perfect 😂😂. No calf would dare stomp on that!!! I'm nearly thinking a winter and summer wellie might be the ans all joking aside- thick socks are a great idea but a lot of robbing goes on with thick socks in our house in the winter!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I hate cutting the lawn so that's one job I usually wriggle out of!!! Not too concerned about the good pair as my stupid leaky Ones can do that now! Just want practical ,warm ,comfy, light ,calf feet proof wellies-not asking for a lot am i? Lol

Take a look at Aigle.
    https://www.sportsden.ie/clothing/wellingtons/aigle-wellingtons.html

I wear the Paracours for years and find them a great boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Guys to be fair I don't want to shame the cows going out in cheap old bits either-can't believe it took ye so long to mention the chameau it's perfect 😂😂. No calf would dare stomp on that!!! I'm nearly thinking a winter and summer wellie might be the ans all joking aside- thick socks are a great idea but a lot of robbing goes on with thick socks in our house in the winter!!!

In fairness if you're going to be spending a lot of time in them it's probably worth spending a few bob more on a comfortable pair with good support for your feet. Thick socks won't do that. For summer a pair of boots might do some of the time. Long term it'll be better for your health and these neoprene lined hunters aren't bad

https://store.sportsden.ie/clothing/hunter-boots-accessories/hunter-ladies-balmoral-neoprene.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI38DMp9ev1gIVHpSyCh2oPAwLEAQYByABEgLgyvD_BwE

Or this pair here with no lining

https://store.sportsden.ie/clothing/hunter-boots-accessories/womens/hunter-norris-field-boot-vintage-green.html

Or here's a more affordable le chameau

https://store.sportsden.ie/clothing/wellingtons/le-chameau-wellingtons/le-chameau-giverny-blue.html

I tried on a pair of le chameau once and they were comfortable but I haven't ever owned a pair. I've had musto and hunters and the cheapest pair I could get. It's worth spending as much as you would on a pair of shoes if you're job was say standing on your feet in a shop.

Try a few different brands at the ploughing and find the most comfortable pair in your budget.

Advertisement