Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tattoos may damage your health.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

And footballers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,647 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A new study has revealed that toxic tattoo ink can seep into the body and may have an adverse effect on health.
    http://www.newsnation.in/lifestyle/health-and-fitness/here-is-how-tattoos-can-cause-severe-damage-to-your-immune-system-article-181958.html
    Tattoos, once the preserve of marginal groups have become much more common and like smoking are especially prevalent among the less educated and unemployed.

Utter sh/te :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

And footballers

That not covered under 'less educated'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Who's the big man calling Popeye 'marginal'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Yes...yes indeed.... New Delhi rag has it's finger on the pulse ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Surely if they're really that toxic or impurities are in the ink that often, we'd have widespread immune issues.

Also OP, I'd love to see what you're basing that last sentence on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Surely if they're really that toxic or impurities are in the ink that often, we'd have widespread immune issues.

Also OP, I'd love to see what you're basing that last sentence on...

It's well documented in all the research. Tattoos are more common among the less educated, which is also true of smoking.
    Women with tattoos are more likely to have a live outside partner and be single parents.
    Also men who suffer from depression are more likely to have a tattoo as are both men and women who smoke tobacco or use cannabis.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Allinall

Tatoos are ridiculous and look silly.

Anyone who gets sick over one deserves it.

Pointless things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

People who get tattoos already have questionable mental health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A new study has revealed that toxic tattoo ink can seep into the body and may have an adverse effect on health.
    http://www.newsnation.in/lifestyle/health-and-fitness/here-is-how-tattoos-can-cause-severe-damage-to-your-immune-system-article-181958.html
    Tattoos, once the preserve of marginal groups have become much more common and like smoking are especially prevalent among the less educated and unemployed.

I don't have any tattoos myself (they just never appealed to me). But I'm pretty sure that's balls.

Quite a few of my friends (and some family members) got themselves tattoos over the years, absolutely none of them are unemployed, in fact a sizable number of them are post grads in well paid professional positions.

Rick Shaw wrote: »

I don't have any tattoos myself (they just never appealed to me). But I'm pretty sure that's balls.

Quite a few of my friends (and some family members) got themselves tattoos over the years, absolutely none of them are unemployed, in fact a sizable number of them are post grads in well paid professional positions.

There is this thing called Google.....,,

SafeSurfer wrote:
    It's well documented in all the research. Tattoos are more common among the less educated, which is also true of smoking. Women with tattoos are more likely to have a live outside partner and be single parents. Also men who suffer from depression are more likely to have a tattoo as are both men and women who smoke tobacco or use cannabis.

Can we see that research? I'm oddly doubtful about their conclusions...
    Victor wrote:
    How does that work?
    According to the article, tattoos cause immune issues. Given the amount of people with tattoos, surely there would be noticable illnesses, especially when you think about how long tattoos have been about.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I wouldn't bother asking for that research if it exists Ave. It's all correlative horse manure. The same as the research that demonised saturated fats in the 60s.

Maybe tattoos do cause certain illnesses.

But maybe, also, people who like to eat coco pops for dinner are more likely to have tattoos. Is illness caused by the tattoo or the coco pops?

Please somebody post a large sample study that proves the mechanism of illness-causing tattoos.

Maybe then we'll believe this garbage.

Is this Australian study what you're looking at? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22153289

Is this Australian study what you're looking at? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22153289

As rubbish as I suspected it to be. Means zilch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Utter sh/te :rolleyes:

Surprised someone took the bait so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I generally just find tattoos to be very ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tsipras wrote: »
    People who get tattoos already have questionable mental health

This is true. My sisters have tattoos, and they're bat shít crazy.

Oh, and they're also vegan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tattoos used to be a bit of a novelty and edgy. Now it seems most people aged between 18 and 35 have at least one. Some people also go way, way too far with the ink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,647 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Surprised someone took the bait so easily.

No bait taken just posting a fact that his post is utter sh/te :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Human equivalent of "Go Fast" stripes on your car.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It's well documented in all the research. Tattoos are more common among the less educated, which is also true of smoking.
    Women with tattoos are more likely to have a live outside partner and be single parents.
    Also men who suffer from depression are more likely to have a tattoo as are both men and women who smoke tobacco or use cannabis.

What a load of bollox!!!!
    That's all I'm saying otherwise I'll get banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

So does smoking, drinking, eating meat, eating veg, eating fish, driving, sitting on the couch, sitting in the office, yoga, stress from paying a mortgage, cycling, pretty much any sport that bears any risk of injury. Your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Leo is going to intrododuce a tattoo tax!

LirW wrote: »
    So does smoking, drinking, eating meat, eating veg, eating fish, driving, sitting on the couch, sitting in the office, yoga, stress from paying a mortgage, cycling, pretty much any sport that bears any risk of injury. Your point is?
    Tattoos are completely avoidable, unlike sitting down etc. Unless of course if you don't get tattooed the consequences are worse, e.g. In a criminal gang or prison gang.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    What business is it of anyone else's if someone has a tattoo. It's their body and their life. That's what's wrong with today's society. People are more fixated on other people's lives, what they say and what they do instead of just living their own lives.

It's because people with tattoos are all rapists, mentally ill, on the dole and get housed for free!!!111 Oh and criminals ofc. :rolleyes:

jacksie66 wrote: »
    What business is it of anyone else's if someone has a tattoo. It's their body and their life. That's what's wrong with today's society. People are more fixated on other people's lives, what they say and what they do instead of just living their own lives.
    Wise words indeed.
    If someone wants to use their body like a fridge covered in fridge magnets of pictures, quotes and pithy sayings then let them.
    But people will always judge. Whether it's the clothes you wear or your hairstyle humans are programmed to pick up on visual clues as a short cut for forming an opinion about people.
    For example if I am in someone's house and they have a quote on the wall, like one can buy in Argos, or anything starting in Keep Calm And....
    I consider them to be imbeciles until proven otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Giving headspace to tattoos and the fact people have them is bad for your health. It's hilarious how much people hate them.

Tattoo industry is essentially self regulated in Ireland AFAIK. Most places are responsible and for example, won't tattoo a 14 year old, but it's not actually against the law. The inks, the gloves, the guns, the needles, same story. It was a few years ago I was told that, maybe it's changed. One guy had a rep in from the HSE as an observer because they were thinking of maybe perhaps getting involved in regulating a booming industry involving needles and blood. He was using non-latex gloves, which most places do in case the customer is allergic and unaware, HSE rep was dumbfounded by all this brand new information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Think OP went to Magaluf and got a rampant cock tattooed above his ring

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Think OP went to Magaluf and got a rampant cock tattooed above his ring

Now now, I would have to self identify as an ill educated sponger for that to be the case.
    Also, what is this Megaluf you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Another win for my tattoos, in their role as a geebag-repelling adornment.

Tattoos are completely avoidable, unlike sitting down etc. Unless of course if you don't get tattooed the consequences are worse, e.g. In a criminal gang or prison gang.

What if the pleasure one gets from getting a tattoo > than the opportunity cost of the stress they would derive from a lack of self expression meaning the net result is greater general happiness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'm shagged if they are bad for you, but i've tattoo's for the last 33 years (got first when I was 15) and I've had now issues, and back then, everybody used the same needle, it was just dipped in disinfectant

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    I'm shagged if they are bad for you, but i've tattoo's for the last 33 years (got first when I was 15) and I've had now issues

Apart from the dyslexia 😉

Apart from the dyslexia ��

hehe, I've had that longer than I've had the Tattoo's in fairness, but I never misspelled any of the thank god

21/25

Jayesdiem wrote: »

What if the pleasure one gets from getting a tattoo > than the opportunity cost of the stress they would derive from a lack of self expression meaning the net result is greater general happiness?

Whatever floats your boat.
    Would one get stressed if they couldn't express themselves through a tattoo?
    There are many ways to express yourself, all equally valid.
    Maybe you are right.

They might, they might not. We are all different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Muppet on x factor now with a butterfly tattooed on his throat......should be slapped with a stocking full of ****e lol lol

• Advertisement

Only thing that annoys me now is that a Tattoo I got in 1985 for 8 pound would cost you €740 today, now I kind of understand inflation but that doesn't work out in my head

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Looks cool now. Old and wrinkly in 30/40 years time.
    Don't see the point of them

In 40 years I'm gonna be old and wrinkly anyway.

Looks cool now. Old and wrinkly in 30/40 years time.
    Don't see the point of them

Who you callin old a wrinkly ? :P

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

gifted wrote: »
    Muppet on x factor now with a butterfly tattooed on his throat......should be slapped with a stocking full of ****e lol lol

I used hate tattoos but I warmed to them a lot but whenever I see something like this it really turns me off them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Tattoos, once the preserve of marginal groups [...]

To be fair, this was certainly the case in the U.S., until about twenty years ago. They're still frowned upon in certain quarters even today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I reckon people make a mark on their skin when they can no longer make a mark on their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm surprised to see so many for whom tattoos do nothing. Last time this thread was done it was the complete opposite.

As I've said, I personally don't like or see the appeal of them. Expressing your individuality by doing exactly the same thing as most of your friends makes no sense to me and most tattoos I've seen look awful now, never mind in 30 years time. Some go way too far with them and destroy themselves with full length arm tattoos, upper chest and everywhere else.

Also, like it or not, other people will form opinions of you based on them especially in the workplace.

But hey, each to their own. I just don't get the appeal of drawing on yourself.

Advertisement