Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter: what is it good for?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I am very suspicious of people who don't pick summer over any of the other seasons. Very suspicious indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

While I can understand why some people might not like winter (I'm not fond of the cold, but there are many other aspects of the season I like, most of which have been mentioned by earlier posters) I can't imagine not liking autumn, at least if like me you like outdoor activities. Just brisk enough to be energizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

i'll admit im not much fun at parties, another reason not to like winter

Gosh, what has winter done to deserve such hatred from you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Summer(In Ireland). What's it good for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Summer(In Ireland). What's it good for?
    not being winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

Deep blues, moody black, long scarves, candle light, walks in the dark, open fire, soft blankets, wooly socks up to my knees, exhilarating rain, bracing wind, spooky frights, warm soup, hot chocolate.

I love winter :)

Couldn't be more cliché could you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Abu94 wrote:

That's the spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭appledrop

Winter in Ireland doesn't let you down. You expect it to be miserable, cold damp + rainy so if you get a dry crisp day it's a bonus.

In contrast every year in Ireland we fool ourselves buying summer clothes, barbucues, outdoor furniture + then it just ends up being cold + rainy for most of the time + it upsets us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Coming home from a cold night and getting a big bowl of hot Irish stew(with brown sauce mixed in) and bread, and settling down to watching the walking dead /Z Nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Deep blues, moody black, long scarves, candle light, walks in the dark, open fire, soft blankets, wooly socks up to my knees, exhilarating rain, bracing wind, spooky frights, warm soup, hot chocolate.

Abu94 wrote: »

People who like scarves, candle light, open fires, spooky frights, warm soup, or hot chocolate are clichéd? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Seems to be less rain than in the summer months. Dry cold is great. Can't beat a motorbike spin on a Sunday morning (if the roads are clear).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

The answer is 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The seasonal cultivation of crops and subsequent storage of food for the winter period was critical to the development of civilisation as we know it. Winter allowed us time to engage in more cerebral activities such as planning, writing, counting etc. Winter gave us time to think, develop stuff, make things.

Academic wrote: »
    While I can understand why some people might not like winter (I'm not fond of the cold, but there are many other aspects of the season I like, most of which have been mentioned by earlier posters) I can't imagine not liking autumn, at least if like me you like outdoor activities. Just brisk enough to be energizing.

I'll admit we've had some nice sunny spells this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I bought pretty new boots for winter yesterday.

Funnily enough, they're called "spring".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Skiing! Just booked flights. Ryanair better not ****ing cancel them.

The seasonal cultivation of crops and subsequent storage of food for the winter period was critical to the development of civilisation as we know it. Winter allowed us time to engage in more cerebral activities such as planning, writing, counting etc. Winter gave us time to think, develop stuff, make things.

and does this still apply to urbanites?

I've found that get more my projects done in summer, its less busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I like the cold frosty mornings and the cold air on my lungs, I find I wake up quicker and feel less lethargic.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

No more humidity!

• Advertisement

No more humidity!

Winter; the dry season :D

I bought pretty new boots for winter yesterday.

Funnily enough, they're called "spring".
    I bought some sweartshirts, but I don't really indulge in fashion. So its not a positive of winter.

I bought some sweartshirts, but I don't really indulge in fashion. So its not a positive of winter.

Do you like your new sweatshirts?

Do you like your new sweatshirts?

No I don't you could say something called a 'sweat'shirt is that likable, other then a bit warmer then a tshirt, my sweatshirts certainly don't have a name :/

No I don't you could say something called a 'sweat'shirt is that likable, other then a bit warmer then a tshirt, my sweatshirts certainly don't have a name :/

Why would you buy clothes you don't like?

Why would you buy clothes you don't like?
    its whats in the shop and they are simply to a perform function.

• Advertisement

its whats in the shop and they are simple to a perform function.

Boorrrriiiiing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Cosy evenings by the fire.

Snuggling in bed and listening to the rain pelting outside.

Walking the dog on a cold, crisp and bright morning.

The fresh, clean feel of frosty air.

Cooking comfort food like stews.

Christmas!

Wearing decent clothes and boots instead of high heels.

All the germs and diseases that are killed off by the cold snap.

Kids not out on the streets until 9pm at night.

Feeling like you've been working all day when you leave the office at 4 and it is dark :p

Cosy evenings in the pub with friends.

I love winter a hundred times more than summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't know how anyone could prefer winter to summer. I am an outside person (don't watch tv) and love the long days, warmer temperature and hopefully drier days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,819 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

billyhead wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone could prefer winter to summer. I am an outside person (don't watch tv) and love the long days, warmer temperature and hopefully drier days.

A real outside person isn't put off with a bit of rain/wind/etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

and does this still apply to urbanites?

No I guess I should have said historically the seasons were instrumental in human civilization as we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Agricola wrote: »
    It's that time of year when we can stop complaining about how shít the weather is and just accept that we live on a rain sodden, windswept rock in the Atlantic.

Well to look on the bright side in Dublin at least we had a pretty damn good summer - proper heat wave early on around May/June (we even got humidity!?) and with some downtime here or there, good clear weather throughout. I've taken to walking to and from work since about this time last year since it's close, and we've had a good 12 months in total... I could probably count the times it's lashed on me in either directions on one hand, with even just 'daycent drizzle' on the other one.

Hoping for a nice cold, fresh, crisp winter like last year mostly was! I'd always take 30 degrees below freezing with blue skies over a few ticks above zero but grey, windy and raining most of the time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's when we feck off to SE Asia, every year without fail.

I just can't deal with months of sh1te weather (Granted the longest we've been able to go for is 3 months, but it still breaks up the winter nicely)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

Everything. Hate Summer, hate daylight at 10pm, hate heat and all that potentially goes with it (lethargy, dehydration, headaches, sunburn, sweat, shirtless twats wandering the streets).

Winter though - perfect for cuddling in front of the fire, hot chocolate (or any hot drink really), soup and stews, layers, gorgeous hats, scarves, boots, long coats and coloured tights, crisp fresh air that wakes you up and feels clean and invigorating, generally not sweating or getting sunburnt, candles, coming out of an early movie showing it and being dark, leaves changing colour and falling, crunching through them, my birthday in November, Christmas (which I adore everything about) Christmas lights and carols in town.

I don't know how people can't love all that.

Abu94 wrote: »

I could! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Not being drenched in sweat or blinded by that b*stard bulb in the sky. Being able to wear a decent coat and carry a reasonable array of belongings without the need for a bag. Being able to wear a shirt without sweating to b*jaysis. No glare on the TV from the B*stard bulb. Nice open fires. The return of game meat to local restaurants. The absence of b*stard insects (by and large)

The list goes on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

boo!

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    boo!

AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I like winter and being able to dress up for the cold with gloves and scarves etc. I like the dark evenings although at the end of winter I'll be tired of them. I love being cosy and warm inside when it's cold outside. I don't feel guilty staying in to play videogames when it's cold, dark and wet out.

Partying in the winter also means longer nights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What is it good for? The yearly cull of the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I used to love Winter. I felt crap when the clocks went back last year. Found it depressing. I had one Winter a few years ago when I stuffed my face with lovely cheese and wine. I gained weight for the first time and it wasn't worth it.
    Not a big fan of snow if it's too heavy to drive in. If there's enough warning, fine, you can buy supplies in. Is there ever warning?
    I suppose you can wear a long OTT coat with a furry collar and long boots. So there's that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've heard it is very good for freezing balls off brass monkeys.

Can't say I've tried mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I love that part of the year in March / April when people start complaining about the farmer's time and how out of date it is.

Won't have to worry about that for a good while yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Advertisement