Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to meet decent guys

Options
  • 11-09-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Another thread title could be 'where are all the decent guys'

Where do they be, are they all taken
    Why is so hard to meet decent guys

Apply within!

Seriously though, does anyone have hints/tips etc

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I dunno, I never sought out relationships and was happily single for a long time.

Then I met my boyfriend in a lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Where are you looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Where are you looking?

Not wishing to sound smart but whatever I've been trying hasn't proved fruitful hence the need for the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Have a look on meetup.com for LGBT groups in your area. It's a good way to meet people with similar interests, and outside of club or hookup scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

imme wrote: »
    Not wishing to sound smart but whatever I've been trying hasn't proved fruitful hence the need for the thread

Fair enough but without knowing what you've tried we might all just list things you've already done, like internet dating, clubs, pubs, activities, LGBT events, college, work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah but if you have exclusively tried clubs and then we advise clubs its useless advice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41 swaner

Try so called "day game". I have some really nice friends who would be very good for any women but they don't go out, they are in some rythim: house, work, gym, so suppose to meet some of them that is only work, or gym :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

Hey imme!
    I think you also just have to keep yourself open. Meetup (which was mentioned before) is a very good website, whether you go to the LGBT Meetups or others, you get to meet loads of new people. Maybe the decent guys you are looking for are not around, but their friends might be. Just have some fun, try new things and meet new people and eventually you'll meet someone.
    You could also try OKCupid, I guess. Guys there seem to be more decent and LTR oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

swaner wrote: »
    Try so called "day game". I have some really nice friends who would be very good for any women but they don't go out, they are in some rythim: house, work, gym, so suppose to meet some of them that is only work, or gym :)

Its hard for gay people to try 'day game' as its generally not obvious what somebodys sexuality is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

I feel your pain. I'm from the country and the only show in town is grindr. Needless to say not a lot of lads on that looking for relationships lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

adam88 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I'm from the country and the only show in town is grindr. Needless to say not a lot of lads on that looking for relationships lol

I have tried it, it's definitely not for me.
    That much I know.
    It took me a while to figure it out however.

In relation to online Vs pubs, clubs etc, I never realised how many curious, bi etc guys there are out there.
    There's enough there for an entire other thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

*applies*

No but seriously, I think every LGBT person feels this if and when friends get matched up and you're either a 3rd wheel or in my case a 7th. I think the trick is just expanding the social circle - Irish gays is such a small knit community it can seem almost futile...so I'm hoping (at least for me anyway) by focusing on other friend-building things, a mate may just arrive.

Either that or trust my Mam when she says eventually she'll knit me a fella!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ash885 wrote: »
    Either that or trust my Mam when she says eventually she'll knit me a fella!

Aww, I LOLd

That's cute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I dunno, I never sought out relationships and was happily single for a long time.

Then I met my boyfriend in a lift!

Bet it has its ups and downs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

I have tried it, it's definitely not for me.
    That much I know.
    It took me a while to figure it out however.

In relation to online Vs pubs, clubs etc, I never realised how many curious, bi etc guys there are out there.
    There's enough there for an entire other thread!!

Some of my best nights have been at house parties with "straight lads"

In my experience the problem isn't a lack of decent guys: most guys out there are generally decent people. The problem is that two perfectly decent guy's won't necessarily have any mutual chemistry. Pretty much every guy I've had a crush on and asked out has only liked me "as a friend", which is fairly shattering to self-confidence. :( And on the very rare occasion someone shows interest in me on a night out, they tend not to be "my type": they could well be very nice people interested in more than a one-nighter but if there's no mutual attraction then it's not gonna be worth pursuing. It sucks but c'est la vie.

Advertisement