Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car to buy in Australia?

Options
  • 26-07-2017 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Well,

Myself and the GF are heading to Australia in January on a Working Holiday Visa and are flying out to Perth. We plan on buying a car in Perth and driving to Melbourne (about 3,500km or so) and then living in Melbourne for at least 6 months then head up the east coast.

Any recommendations on which car to buy?

We want something reliable (obviously), comfortable for longer journeys and spacious. Fuel economy isn't too much of a concern.

Budget will be $2,000 - $3,000 Australian (about €1,350-2,000).

First thoughts are Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mitsubishi Pajero/Outlander, Nissan X-Trail, Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4...Keep in mind these will be late 90s to early 2000s year models for our budget.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Would you really need a suv type yoke? A fwd car will go well enough on roughing terrain provided it's dry.

With long drives and coastline cruising I'd be thinking a big jap saloon/coupe from the 90's would fit the bill nicely.

Something like these

V6 Toyota camry type things: https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Toyota-Vienta-1997/OAG-AD-14874795

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Toyota-Vienta-1996/OAG-AD-14673366

H23 Honda prelude. 4 cylinder but these have long gearing so they cruise well.

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Honda-Prelude-1992/SSE-AD-4481773

V6 accord

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Honda-Accord-1998/SSE-AD-4664293

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any motor tax there or emissions based taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are Jeep not pieces of junk, or is my opinion outdated?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is there any motor tax there or emissions based taxes?

Not that I am aware of. But insurance goes up with the age and size...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Mitsubishi Magna V6 (Australian version of a Galant)

Great car and should be plenty around as they were manufactured in Australia.

Drove one comfortably all the way from Perth to Sydney.

Bought it for less than $2000 in Perth and sold it for more when I got rid of it in Sydney

example:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/como/cars-vans-utes/mitsubishi-magna/1154153042

Gumtree is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Go into the local hostel and there'll be a few for sale on the notice board. You will pick up a yoke for a song. Someone leaving fairly soon won't turn their nose up at a wad of notes.

Most if the cars will be ford or holden estates. Old as the hills but will go forever with lots of spare parts readily available.

Enjoy it...it'll be one the greatest trips you'll ever make.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Yep you have to go for a banged up ford falcon, bought mine for 1000$ at the start of my year and sold for 1500$ at the end of the year... Tax and insurance is negligible over there, plus when I was there fuel was cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Buy yourself a handy falcon or commodore, definitely 6 cylinder for the long journey as the 4 cylinder are just not able for the long journeys in the heat. You don't really need a 4x4 for that journey it's all good road. I done it in a falcon and loved it. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Thanks for advice so far. Ford falcon or Commodore V6 sound good too.

Does anyone know the story with car tax/license fee/insurance in WA?

From what I gather so far when change of ownership/license fee is paid in WA then third party insurance (compulsory) is paid ? Then "Rego" is a separate issue?

Also can I drive a WA license car in Victoria without re-registration?

And fine to drive on full Irish license (of 3 years)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

grogi wrote: »
    Not that I am aware of. But insurance goes up with the age and size...

Great place to live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Great place to live :D

Great spiders scare me off though...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LpPepper wrote: »
    Well,

Myself and the GF are heading to Australia in January on a Working Holiday Visa and are flying out to Perth. We plan on buying a car in Perth and driving to Melbourne (about 3,500km or so) and then living in Melbourne for at least 6 months then head up the east coast.

Any recommendations on which car to buy?

We want something reliable (obviously), comfortable for longer journeys and spacious. Fuel economy isn't too much of a concern.

Budget will be $2,000 - $3,000 Australian (about €1,350-2,000).

First thoughts are Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mitsubishi Pajero/Outlander, Nissan X-Trail, Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4...Keep in mind these will be late 90s to early 2000s year models for our budget.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated...

that's a crazy budget - why would you want to piss away that sort of travel money?

you will easily be able to pick up a banger for a few hundred dollars off another set of departing tourists...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

lawred2 wrote: »
    that's a crazy budget - why would you want to piss away that sort of travel money?

you will easily be able to pick up a banger for a few hundred dollars off another set of departing tourists...

Well we don't really want to buy something that will break down or be unreliable on such a long journey and in such high temperatures.

Would rather spend a bit extra for something a bit more looked after/better condition instead of having a headache with a banger. Though spending more won't always guarantee reliability it could increase the likelihood of getting something more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

lawred2 wrote: »

If anything I think they should increase the budget, they plan on doing some serious drives, I certainly wouldn't like to be stuck in the middle of the Nullarbor with a blown head gasket.

Get a decent care, you will get your money back if you look after it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

To chime in here, Commodore or Falcon Wagon is the way to go. I preferred the Falcon overall, we bought one in Perth in 2010, drove it for 30k and sold it for what we paid. Parts are cheap, anyone can fix them and they're pretty much bulletproof. We found one with LPG which gave us 400km on LPG and 600km on fuel which was handy for crossing the Nullabor and LPG is less than half the price of fuel.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carlisle/cars-vans-utes/2003-ford-falcon-wagon/1153608554

Advertisement