Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best paying careers?

Options
  • 09-07-2017 1:42pm

What are the best paying jobs or careers in Ireland today? Actuary earns serious money, accountants good money, to name but a few. Anyone want to give their career and income? I'm a teacher on about 36k a year gross. What are the best jobs to earn good money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

What are the best paying jobs or careers in Ireland today? Actuary earns serious money, accountants good money, to name but a few. Anyone want to give their career and income? I'm a teacher on about 36k a year gross. What are the best jobs to earn good money?

You have to do something that not many people can do. I know plenty of guys in financial sales earning over 100k a year. Friends in IT up around 80k. Accountants like myself most of my peers up around the 70k mark at this stage. They are the ones in my circle of friends anyway.

Doctors can earn a lot too.

bmwguy wrote: »
    You have to do something that not many people can do. I know plenty of guys in financial sales earning over 100k a year. Friends in IT up around 80k. Accountants like myself most of my peers up around the 70k mark at this stage. They are the ones in my circle of friends anyway.

Doctors can earn a lot too.

Finance seems very well rewarded alright. Doctors earn a good bit but considering their long and unsociable hours I'm not sure it's worth it compared to finance if you look at it as an hourly rate. Unless they are surgeons etc I think GPs get from 60k up, I'm open to correction on that though.

Contract engineers in pharma/bio pharma ........ commissioning, automation, QA and projects type work €450 to €600 per day depending on experience & luck (hired at start or end of project, budget constraints etc).

€100k+/annum after paying an accountant/umbrella company, taking all the Bank Holidays off and another 20 days too.

Med device pays less but a shrewd operator would still get €400/day which isn't bad by any stretch.

There are so many multinationals in Ireland now there are thousands contracting as a career.

Financial sales/advice is a good one too............ for every €1,000,000 in pensions that a brokerage brought in the brokerage typically gets €5k. So if you had 30 clients averaging €200k pots than that's €30k/annum.

I bought an income protection policy a while back, broker got 100% of first year's premium and 10% of every following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

...and how much do Actuaries actually earn?

...and how much do Actuaries actually earn?

According to GradIreland (so very approximate):

Trainee €40k
    Graduate €64k
    Senior/ Potential: €250k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I know some daily rate contract IT developers who earn €650 per day. Principal level software engineers earn €80K-€100K in Ireland. However, sales staff in an organisation I worked in during the boom were bringing home more than the above. Their basic salaries were €35-€40K but they were bringing home €100K+ after individual, group and team bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

Money isn't everything.. (so long as you can live the life you enjoy)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You're in a decent career yourself. You're guaranteed annual increments and a good pension.

You're in a decent career yourself. You're guaranteed annual increments and a good pension.

Yes I am and I do appreciate it especially during the holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Quantity surveyors can earn good money. my father, MD and founder of a QS/Engineering firm, earns €400k + per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

codrulz wrote: »
    Quantity surveyors can earn good money. my father, MD and founder of a QS/Engineering firm, earns €400k + per annum.

Did you or a sibling follow in his footsteps?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Did you or a sibling follow in his footsteps?

Funnily enough none of us did, just down to different interests not due to work conditions or anything else, they were great! Less that 35 work week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A friend of my wife's works in IT and has earned between 250 - 300k for the last 7 years. It's high end sales and has been driven more by her relationship with her customers than her general intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Is anyone here familiar with the career progression through one of the big 4? What could someone expect to earn from a graduate position in auditing for example? Is progression within one of the big 4 fairly attainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is anyone here familiar with the career progression through one of the big 4? What could someone expect to earn from a graduate position in auditing for example? Is progression within one of the big 4 fairly attainable?

I'm not speaking from personal experience but friends have gone through the big 4 and become chartered accountants. The initial few years seem quite rough, you're not earning much at all (back around 2010 I think it was the low 20ks), you can work long hours and you have to do all your exams obviously.

Once you're chartered then a lot of opportunity seems to open up. Basically every company going larger than a certain size will hire accountants so you can work in industry or you can stay working for an audit firm. Salaries also seem to be good, I'm guessing here but a few years experience once you're chartered and you're probably not far off six figures.

In terms of progression, you obviously have to pass your exams. Seems you can and will lose your job if you don't.

Advertisement