Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do connecting flights work with baggage?

Options
  • 29-06-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi

Heading to Perth in January and not sure how connecting flights and baggage work. We booked through USIT and have a single booking reference which through Check My Trip shows all flights via the one booking reference. Flight details are:

Flying out from Dublin on Jan 8th 14:00 to Heathrow arrive 15:30
    Then Heathrow 17:15 to Hong Kong arrive 12:55 (local time Jan 9th)
    Lastly leave Hong Kong 14:55 arrive Perth 22:35

My question is will our baggage be changed from plane to plane automatically or will we have to collect and then check in baggage again?

We're with Aer Lingus to Heathrow and Cathay Pacific for the other flights.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If you are on one ticket then the baggage you check in at Dublin you will not see again until baggage belt Perth.

Reverse of course applies coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Bags go through to destination, same on return.

Queue up to a staffed desk to check in in Dublin

With a bit of luck Aer Lingus will be able to issue the Cathy Pacific boarding cards as well, otherwise collect at transfer desk in LHR

Follow the purple signs in Heathrow for connections

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Just be careful, I had a ticket booked with usit from Brisbane to Dublin but was with Malaysia to Heathrow and are lingus. They wouldn't check in my luggage all the way as aerlingus only had 20kg and Malaysia had 23kg. They gave me some bull**** about Malaysian having to foot the bill if aerligus copped it. Had to collect at Heathrow and check in again with aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated as I have never flown with connecting flights before.

Thankfully our baggage allowance with Aer Lingus and Cathay is 30kg per person.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you check in the agent should put a baggage tag with PER on it and not see the bag again until you get to Perth, it will be automatically switched through baggage systems on to your next flight at each stopover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement