Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUAS Backup Plans.

• 19-06-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

One of the recurrent issues for a non-Rail inclined person such as myself,is how the LUAS system copes with breakdowns and in-service disruption.

This morning,for example,there was a Overhead Line issue on the Red Line,immediately outside The Ashling Hotel.

I was somewhat surprised that inbound Red Line services were curtailed to Blackhorse stop. (I'm not aware of the Southbound curtailment)

I accept this could be due to Overhead Line power-supply issues as well as Switchback availability,but I am suggesting that for an occurence such as this,the level of service disruptionis excessive.

It appears to be a feature of LUAS,that switchback facilities are few,and that capability to isolate small sections of overhead power are also fewer than might be considered appropriate.

I would,of course,suggest that the usual anouncement that tickets are valid on Dublin-Bus services may be somewhat aspirational,given that the current situation on Bus Routes parallelling the Red Line is far from ideal,post Network Direct.

Comments,anybody ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It appears to be a feature of LUAS,that switchback facilities are few,and that capability to isolate small sections of overhead power are also fewer than might be considered appropriate.

This would appear to be the case, possibly the overhead sections and where the switchback points are - are somewhat related - but I've always though it was crazy to dump people out at Blackhorse (an hours walk from the city center) and expect the likes of the 13 to pick up the pieces. Today's issue not withstanding - I would like to see Heuston reconfigured to allow turn back of in-bound services, atleast if you can get people in that far - they have a few more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

A few weeks ago I was on an inbound Luas at Belgard when an inbound tram had broken down further ahead on the line.

The driver was told to hold the tram and announce that tickets were valid on Dublin Bus. The only bus towards the city centre that serves the Belgard area only runs every hour and fifteen minutes. Obviously you could go the other way and head for the Square to catch a bus if you had to.

Breakdowns happen, its the nature of the business but there doesn't seem to be much of a back up plan.

How does the Luas tickets are valid work with a Leap Card? Does the bus driver just waive you on if you flash your Leap Card and tell him you were on the Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Are there points on the Luas track, as there are in rail, passing points where one tram and temporarily intrude on the other directions line then overtake a broken down one by going over again to the right side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I didn't think Dublin Bus accepted Luas tickets on any services no matter what the circumstances were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If they removed the buffer on the bay platform in Heuston and had a connection outbound towards Tallaght trams could run over the bridge on the main track and return outbound via the bay platform as the crossover is in place. Allowing reverse signal over the bridge shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

I didn't think Dublin Bus accepted Luas tickets on any services no matter what the circumstances were.
    I think there's an arrangement in place for when services are disrupted due to faults. Here's an article from the day I was referring to.
    http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tram-failure-leads-major-suspension-13073118

Advertisement