Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini convertible advice

Options
  • 19-05-2017 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey, Thinking of buying a mini convertible, can anyone advise? is it hard to fix and service the hood? what if there are leaks?? Or should I go for just a normal Mini.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    Hey, Thinking of buying a mini convertible, can anyone advise? is it hard to fix and service the hood? what if there are leaks?? Or should I go for just a normal Mini.

I had a2009 Cooper S convertible which I bought 3 years old. The hood was changed by the dealership when I bought it as the rear screen heater had died. I had no issues with the operation of the hood etc.

My advice would be to decide how often you will put down the hood. The nature of that car is that there is a lot more noise, squeaks etc as a result of being a convertible. I would put the hood down at the drop of a hat, even in October/November etc. I've driven 300 miles non stop on motorways with the hood down in weather similar to an Irish spring day, is cool but no rain. It's a lot quieter with the top down than with it up!

If you only want to put it down on a hot summer's day, I 'd think about a more refined convertible - either larger size or with a convertible hard top. Many people commented on the ongoing noise in mine - natural because of the fabric roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Wow, thanks for your detailed reply, will think about it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,391 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's Ireland, don't even consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

If you really want a Mini, would you go down the route of a normal Mini Cooper but with the panoramic glass roof? Loads out there with this option if your going second hand.

The front half of the glass slides back electrically giving you the wind in your hair feel without the hassle of a rattly leaky soft top.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mini850 wrote: »
    If you really want a Mini, would you go down the route of a normal Mini Cooper but with the panoramic glass roof? Loads out there with this option if your going second hand.

The front half of the glass slides back electrically giving you the wind in your hair feel without the hassle of a rattly leaky soft top.

I have one of those, which I bought after owning a hard-top convertible before it.

Not even comparable :mad:

I really, really miss the convertible (although it was a ball of trouble coming down the road at me which is why I got rid - the only thing that never ever gave me any trouble was the roof!).

The mini is great fun to drive, and I love it - but it's no substitute for a convertible.

(I didn't even consider a convertible mini as I have to park on the street and just feared for the security of it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have one of those, which I bought after owning a hard-top convertible before it.

Not even comparable :mad:

I really, really miss the convertible (although it was a ball of trouble coming down the road at me which is why I got rid - the only thing that never ever gave me any trouble was the roof!).

The mini is great fun to drive, and I love it - but it's no substitute for a convertible.

(I didn't even consider a convertible mini as I have to park on the street and just feared for the security of it)

My wife had a convertible Megane before and I currently own A mini Cooper S with the full glass roof, so I've experience with both. Its not the same but it may be a compromise the OP might go for given the opportunity you get to get a roof down in this country.
    I open my roof up way more often (nearly every day lately) than I would get the roof down if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's Ireland, don't even consider it.

Why?

Have you ever been to florida? I see more people driving around dublin in the summer with the top down than I did in florida because theyd be roasted . Windows up and air con on is the order or the day in really hot countries.

Any time it's not raining can be top down weather. If it's nippy turn the heat on, it puts a nice breeze of heat across you and is nice. I was driving to Wexford a couple of months back with the top down and it started to lightly drizzle, I didn't bother putting the roof up because I wasn't getting wet.at motorway speed the light rain is pulled over the car with the airflow.

Advertisement