Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of an era

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

117 what an age to live to can only imagine the changes they lived through amazing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The last survivor of the 19th Century has died aged 117.

What an age! And, it seems, a rather sad life at times.

http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2017/0415/868005-morano-oldest-woman/

Did you know her when she was young? :pac: (sorry couldn't resist!)

What a life though - young at the outbreak of WWI middle aged during WWII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gatling wrote: »
    117 what an age to live to can only imagine the changes they lived through amazing stuff

Everything from the Boer War to two world wars. Motor cars to space travel. The telegraph to mobile phones, internet etc etc etc

The list is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

At least she won't have to live through another world war which will be starting any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

At least she won't have to live through another world war which will be starting any day now.
    If it does I fear many of us may not live through it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For most of her life she's lived with the Korean War.

It started in 1950 and technically hasn't finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

During her lifetime she travelled over 110 Billion kilometers on Earth's orbits around the Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Taken to soon.

In serous though, great age to reach.

And I was pleasantly suprised by the thread, I thought it was a 'goodbye forever leaving boards' post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought it was a 'goodbye forever leaving boards' post

Ah, no Srameen has another bit to go to match that feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fukin' hell. That's like going into retirement at 65 and then living another 52 years.
    Almost two lifetimes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I never liked her anyway. Always going on about "in my day.."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just so insane to think that there were people living today along side you that had lived since before world war one that you read about in history books like its ancient history! just crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

She was 9 when Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were killed.

article-2186966-147EDD01000005DC-556_964x656.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The last survivor of the 19th Century has died aged 117.

What an age! And, it seems, a rather sad life at times.

http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2017/0415/868005-morano-oldest-woman/

She was the last person who lived in the 1800s, but the 19th Century didn't end until 31st December 1900. There could be some 116 year old around who lived in the 19th Century!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

4ensic15 wrote: »
    She was the last person who lived in the 1900s
    I'm having an existential crisis at this statement...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

She was the last person who lived in the 1900s, but the 19th Centurydidn't end until 31st December 1900. There could be some 116 year old around who lived in the 19th Century!

I lived in the 1900s too though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Virtanen wrote: »
    I'm having an existential crisis at this statement...

Ok. Typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

She was the last person who lived in the 1800s, but the 19th Century didn't end until 31st December 1900. There could be some 116 year old around who lived in the 19th Century!

You know as well as I do that 1900 is considered the 20th Century, illogical and all as it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Born when Queen Victoria was alive died when Queen Elizabeth is 90 and lived through more than 90 Italian governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Born when Queen Victoria was alive died when Queen Elizabeth is 90 and lived through more than 90 Italian governments.

And more importantly, Italia 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thought you were going to mention The Undertaker retiring.

Died under Trump.

I blame Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Everything from the Boer War to two world wars. Motor cars to space travel. The telegraph to mobile phones, internet etc etc etc

The list is endless.

She may have heard about the Wright Brothers first flight in 1903 as a little kid, but likely would not have seen it around that time as the very first motion picture was less than fifteen years old (1889). She would not have heard it over the radio either - broadcasting only came three years later in 1906 (though Marconi had invented the radio just 25 years before she was born).

The Irish Famine and American Civil War would have been to her what the Vietnam War and Kmher Rouge/Pol Pot famine in Cambodia are to thos eof us around 30 or younger. The assassination of Abraham Lincoln to her would have been like JFK to most of us. Madness really.

And she would have been around for when the Kaizer stole the world twenty, back in Nineteen Dickety Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

She spent the last 20 years in her room though? No thanks.

My own granny, who lived with us for years when I was young, was born in 1897 - and my other three grandparents were older still - and her own grandmother survived An Gorta Mor so I'm not impressed with this young one!

Pace all'anima sua/Ar dheis De go raibh a hanam di­lis. (get the fada problem sorted, Boards!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

Pac1Man wrote: »

Why what's wrong with her room?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It probably felt like a lot less. Perception of time seems to speed up the older we get. Maybe she relived her memories during that time. A nice soft blurry twenty years, maybe.

munster87 wrote: »
    Why what's wrong with her room?

It smells of wee. The pong started in 1998. frown.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

FG had a New Era.
    That has also ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Most posters on Boards spent their first 20 years in their rooms!

Advertisement