Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They'll let anyone have a child

• 05-09-2016 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Just coming out of my apartment this morning. A mother and her 3 kids(assuming they were all hers) but the youngest about 4 drinking a bottle of mountain dew. It's 8.40 and a child is knocking back mountain dew. The stuff has 66g of sugar...

That has to be bad for a child that age. The sugar crash will be epic. I bet the same mother who bought it will be giving out to him for being tired in school too...

For the record I'm not a sigur nazi, but come on 4 tbsp for a 4 year old...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Chubby mom? Leggings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought you meamnt a bottle of whiskey :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Jaysus. ...thought this was going to be another abortion thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

endacl wrote: »
    Chubby mom? Leggings?

No actually dressed, but probably never did her leaving cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Can't give them espresso. Can't give them Mountain Dew. God damn it people, i've only just gotten them off meth. You gotta give them something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It might have been an old bottle with freshly squeezed pomegranate juice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

judgement is the evil of our time

i don't think giving a child a fizzy drink warrants the child being taken off the mother

what we need is cheaper alternatives and better education to balance the onslaught of media messages that drink company put out.

as a parent ,the easier option is to give in and take quietness

the question i have is ,how can i help change this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Maybe tell her instead of us?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I see mothers everyday swearing and shouting at their kids calling them all manner of names. Often see kids in tow while parents scream at each other on the street.
    See Mammy bringing kids along as she scores her fix of heroin.
    Mountain Dew hmmmm

Walk by a maternity hospital anyday and look at the amount of 'Mothers to be' smoking outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Skyfarm wrote: »

i don't think giving a child a fizzy drink warrants the child being taken off the mother

what we need is cheaper alternatives and better education to balance the onslaught of media messages that drink company put out.

Well I don't mean to pass all the judgement onto this lady. But just shine a light on the lack of education parents have. I see so many parents who have zero control over there kids everyday in work.

Parenting is very challenging, so why do people think having 3 in quick succession is a good idea, when they can't control one neverind 3...

The parents should be dictating not the kids. I have more control over my dog than some parents have over their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

It's true, anyone can have a child.

We adopted a dog from the local SPCA a few years ago. The SPCA came out to check our house and garden, asked a multitude of questions before they let us have the dog.

Have a baby, sure it'll be graaaannnd.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Madness OP.

Would never do that to my kids, they only get the sugar free red bull in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It's true, anyone can have a child.

We adopted a dog from the local SPCA a few years ago. The SPCA came out to check our house and garden, asked a multitude of questions before they let us have the dog.

Have a baby, sure it'll be graaaannnd.....

Well (to be pedantic) if you adopt a child you'll go through all sorts of checks too. So unless systematic sterilization of a portion of the population is an option the best we can do is improve education and social services. We're talking about a sugary drink here though so education is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If you have a child you'll probably meet the local health worker (district nurse?) at your home and she/he would be alert to anything amiss. You're not told you're being vetted but you could say that that's part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

As said could have been just the bottle with baby juice in it but sure kill her anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Skyfarm wrote:

Cheaper alternative like water? Milk?

The education is there. You can bring the horses to water but you can't make them drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Bacchus wrote: »
    Well (to be pedantic) if you adopt a child you'll go through all sorts of checks too.

But if you give birth to one...?

unless systematic sterilization of a portion of the population is an option the best we can do is improve education and social services. We're talking about a sugary drink here though so education is key.

Sugary drink aside, the point the op made is -anyone can have a child, the point I made is, it's easier than getting a dog from a rescue group.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Just coming out of my apartment this morning. A mother and her 3 kids(assuming they were all hers) but the youngest about 4 drinking a bottle of mountain dew. It's 8.40 and a child is knocking back mountain dew. The stuff has 66g of sugar...

That has to be bad for a child that age. The sugar crash will be epic. I bet the same mother who bought it will be giving out to him for being tired in school too...

For the record I'm not a sigur nazi, but come on 4 tbsp for a 4 year old...

You're probably right but I'd caution against jumping to conclusions based on what may be a one-off event. Just the other day we were down in Cork with my toddler and he had a couple of jellies - which he never normally has, his treats being things like berries and wotnot. Like I say, this was a one-off event because we were having a day out. Someone could've easly looked at us and assumed we always pack him full of sugar which simply is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Mountain Dew??

Should have chosen crab juice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Thats such a bad mother!

Who in their right mind would give a child Mountain Dew.

Monster Assault is where its at....stupid biddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

joe199 wrote: »
    As said could have been just the bottle with baby juice in it but sure kill her anyway

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Skyfarm wrote:

Cheaper alternatives ?? To soft drinks
    Water , at the moment its free...
    Failing that milk is cheap ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Skyfarm wrote: »

Don't have kids until you're ready to actually be a parent and not feed them sugar because it's easier to give in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well this snapshot of a few seconds' observation is enough for me...I have pitchfork, rope, and petrol ready. What do I do next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Bacchus wrote: »
    Well (to be pedantic) if you adopt a child you'll go through all sorts of checks too. So unless systematic sterilization of a portion of the population is an option the best we can do is improve education and social services. We're talking about a sugary drink here though so education is key.

Could the systematic sterilisation of a portion of the population be an option?... Having lived and worked in North inner city Dublin I have seen a LOT of people who should never have been allowed to reproduce, and seem to be reproducing faster than the rest of us. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I think everyone has seen horrendous examples of "parenting" - using the term here loosely. Unfortunately the alternative to "they let anyone have a child" is "they don't let just anyone have a child" and clearly state sponsored sterilisation or compulsory adoption programmes or is not a road most people want to go down...not least because they have greater consequences than drinking a bottle of mountain dew for breakfast. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Serious tax on sugary drinks for starters, 500ml bottle of soft drink should be costing near €5

Sugary drink aside, the point the op made is -anyone can have a child, the point I made is, it's easier than getting a dog from a rescue group.

Yeah, but you're talking about adoption. So I compared it to adopting a baby. There are regulations around both and adopting a baby is MUCH more difficult than a dog.

Now giving birth to a dog vs a baby... I can agree, giving birth to a baby is much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Well I don't mean to pass all the judgement onto this lady. But just shine a light on the lack of education parents have. I see so many parents who have zero control over there kids everyday in work.

Parenting is very challenging, so why do people think having 3 in quick succession is a good idea, when they can't control one neverind 3...

The parents should be dictating not the kids. I have more control over my dog than some parents have over their kids.

OP I was agreeing with your opinion originally (even though its none of your business really) but then you said don't mean to pass judgement except the fact your original post was judgemental enough and then you come out with the comment "she probably never did her leaving cert"....firstly well done for jumping to conclusions like that and secondly, who cares if she didn't! What has that got to do with anything!?

Your comments are the epitome of judgemental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The more education argument is no longer valid. For the last 2 decades out society has been bombarded with information about healthy diet and the dangers of sugar. It is simply laziness and stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

"I can't afford to feed my kids properly :("

/completely ignores the fact that fresh fruit, veg and meat are constantly on special offer for dirt cheap

/spends more and gets a frozen pizza/some Birdseye thing/a takeaway instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Can you get mountain dew in ireland now?

It's wrong to give a young child any drink like that..But I have to ask, did this really happen? And even if it did, it's none of your business anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We have to start questioning, why are harmful products allowed to be sold in the first place?

The more education argument is no longer valid. For the last 2 decades out society has been bombarded with information about healthy diet and the dangers of sugar. It is simply laziness and stupidity.

True, education will only go so far. However, it's only a relatively recent development that schools are being more active in educating kids about healthy lifestyles (and I'm not sure how widespread or well implemented that actually is). Basically, the current adult generation is lost. They are in a sense, set in their ways, for good or bad. The focus needs to be on the next generation of kids growing up and instilling proper life skills so that they can take care of themselves when they become adults and not fall into habits of takeaways 7 nights a week for dinner, washed down with some fizzy drink.

I take your point though, there will always be a subset of society that will be too lazy/stupid to live well and in turn, that will get passed on to their children. That goes beyond just eating habits too. It's horrible seeing parents, for example, shouting at their toddler to keep up with them, threatening no icecream or whatever. They do realize, their child has tiny legs and is still getting to grips with the whole walking thing?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

_Brian wrote:
    Serious tax on sugary drinks for starters, 500ml bottle of soft drink should be costing near €5

That'll probably bring the price of a pint up-to 20 euros...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

lawlolawl wrote: »
    "I can't afford to feed my kids properly :("

AKA I dont know how to cook and it is the gubberments fault that I was not educated about basic life skills.

Winterlong wrote:
    AKA I dont know how to cook and it is the gubberments fault that I was not educated about basic life skills.

Cooking and food preparation are critical life skills, and should be a mandatory learning for all in our educational system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Cooking and food preparation are critical life skills, and should be a mandatory learning for all in our educational system.

I don't need school to learn basic life skills. I had parents.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I don't need school to learn basic life skills. I had parents.

i have commented on comments just like this on this site before, i dont really want to repeat myself, so i ll try be short.

free market economics is driving up the cost of living leading to situations whereby its almost a must for both parents to work in full time jobs just so the family unit can survive. many parents simply do not have the time to show their kids these vital skills, therefore the best environment to do so is, our educational system. if we do not do this asap, our long term health issues such as diabetes and obesity will simply get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A proper comparitive would be regarding adoption of a child. Which can be quite stringent.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i have commented on comments just like this on this site before, i dont really want to repeat myself, so i ll try be short.

free market economics is driving up the cost of living leading to situations whereby its almost a must for both parents to work in full time jobs just so the family unit can survive. many parents simply do not have the time to show their kids these vital skills, therefore the best environment to do so is, our educational system. if we do not do this asap, our long term health issues such as diabetes and obesity will simply get worse.

Teachers can't be expected to take the place of parents. They are there to aid the child in developing skills such as reading, writing, maths, comprehension. But they can't be expected to raise the child. The issues with obesity are not going to be fixed in the classroom either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I don't need school to learn basic life skills. I had good parents.

Fixed your post.

It has to be part of the education process imo, we're not all blessed with good parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

They'll let just anyone post griping threads on Internet message boards. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Because people are idiots

Teachers can't be expected to take the place of parents. They are there to aid the child in developing skills such as reading, writing, maths, comprehension. But they can't be expected to raise the child. The issues with obesity are not going to be fixed in the classroom either.

I agree, it shouldn't fall on teachers. For one, they're probably not qualified to do so and secondly, it's not what they signed up for. That shouldn't stop it from being on the curriculum though, you can bring in qualified people from the outside to educate kids on nutrition, diet, cooking skills etc.

A proper comparitive would be regarding adoption of a child. Which can be quite stringent.

explain to me how teaching kids about their well being is a bad idea for society as a whole? the idea of teaching kids about food and its preparation is a safety net for all. neoliberal policies and free market economics are helping to creating complex social problems such as obesity and diabetes, educating children about their dangerous is a good approach to try prevent these complex issues. i have talked to educators about these issues, and most if not all have agreed with me. basically, theres too much academia in the world of academia. as explained above, many parents simply do not have the time or energy to show their kids these vital skills as many are struggling to service their debts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

PARlance wrote: »
    I agree, it shouldn't fall on teachers. For one, they're probably not qualified to do so and secondly, it's not what they signed up for. That shouldn't stop it from being on the curriculum though, you can bring in qualified people from the outside to educate kids on nutrition, diet, cooking skills etc.

Which is all well and good so long as the parents both have the time, knowledge, and money to buy and cook these healthier alternatives.

I don't disagree with the point, but it's well established that those from lower income households tend to eat foods that are much less healthy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Their, you mean?

Not that I'm making a snap judgement about a person's education based on a fleeting deduction, of course.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Which is all well and good so long as the parents both have the time, knowledge, and money to buy and cook these healthier alternatives.

I don't disagree with the point, but it's well established that those from lower income households tend to eat foods that are much less healthy for them

I don't think it would solve the problem but every little helps and I do think it would help. I'm sure there's some fancy word for it, but learning from the "bottom up" can be a powerful thing. Children can educate / pressurise their parents into making a change, sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Mountain Dew??

Should have chosen crab juice

only if washing down a stick of khav kalash

• Advertisement
Advertisement