Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA TV Deal Renewal

Options
  • 23-08-2016 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭

Sean Cunniffe on The Last Word moaning for the man up the mountain.

3 year deal is up now.

What do we think?

I hope Sky keep it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

3 year deal is up now.

What do we think?

I hope Sky keep it up.

I hope not. Many people like myself do not have a sky subscription and can't see some matches. The GAA has a volunteer ethos, I sell tickets, play hurling and football, coach under 6 & 8 teams, am PRO of my club and feel that anyone like myself who cannot afford a €700 per year subscription has been let down by the sky deal regardless of the quality of punditry offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

All depends on Sky's subscription numbers.

If they meet their targets they will bid again if not they wonty

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

All depends on Sky's subscription numbers.

If they meet their targets they will bid again if not they wonty

True enough.

But disregarding this, I hope they stay.

Especially cos I can't get Eir broadband where I live.

Grueller wrote: »
    I hope not. Many people like myself do not have a sky subscription and can't see some matches. The GAA has a volunteer ethos, I sell tickets, play hurling and football, coach under 6 & 8 teams, am PRO of my club and feel that anyone like myself who cannot afford a €700 per year subscription has been let down by the sky deal regardless of the quality of punditry offered.

This poor mouth spiel is fierce grating.

MORE games are on TV now as a result of the Sky deal.

There are games being shown that you wouldn't have been on TV anyway. Namely qualifiers. The argument is brutal to be honest. And sure, travel to the games if they're so precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

There are games being shown that you wouldn't have been on TV anyway. Namely qualifiers. The argument is brutal to be honest. And sure, travel to the games if they're so precious.

That's simply not true. Those games were already being shown by tv3 and would be shown by whom ever won the rights to the second package. Sky have zero in influence on how many games are shown, that's already decided before bidding even starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id love if everyone got piece

RTE the main provider

Sky 2nd biggest provider

Tv3 and Tg4 to get a few matches. Early round Qualifers etc.

I think the league should get more tv time with RTE maybe showing a live game every weekend alongside TG4 (who are excellent with there coverage)

Virgin customers are rightly being ****ed over with BT/Eir sports being gone from the package. No Saturday night league games for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭howiya

That's nonsense to be fair. People did all of those things for their clubs before matches were widely available on TV.

Why do you expect free TV coverage in return? Why do you not look for free intercounty jerseys, match tickets etc? Why is it the TV coverage that you feel should be free?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Aren't all the gaa matches on Sky now on the free channel?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

you do not have to spend €700 per year to get the games. You can get special subscriptions for monthly periods or even online.

To be honest, I hate the whole "volunteer so I should get it for free" thing. Sure why should we pay into games if that is the case? things cost money, we pay for a TV license fee as well.

I think it goes into a whole social effect in Ireland of a real sense of entitlement to things. Up to 20 years ago, the only games on live were All Ireland semi finals and finals with some provincial finals too. If there are 8 games or whatever it is on sky, then is it that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things? the whole poor mouth and think of the 80 year old man out in the mountains spiel that we are getting is really nonsense.

Just as an aside, I do not have a sky subscription.

And also, the standard of RTE's productions are getting worse. The quality of the punditry is awful, commentating, choice of games and the sunday game highlights editing in terms of games being shown and volume of action to talk is all on the wrong side of average. If nothing else, I was hoping that the introduction of sky to the market would improve RTE, it seems to have made not a jot of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

bruschi wrote: »
    you do not have to spend €700 per year to get the games. You can get special subscriptions for monthly periods or even online.

To be honest, I hate the whole "volunteer so I should get it for free" thing. Sure why should we pay into games if that is the case? things cost money, we pay for a TV license fee as well.

I think it goes into a whole social effect in Ireland of a real sense of entitlement to things. Up to 20 years ago, the only games on live were All Ireland semi finals and finals with some provincial finals too. If there are 8 games or whatever it is on sky, then is it that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things? the whole poor mouth and think of the 80 year old man out in the mountains spiel that we are getting is really nonsense.

Just as an aside, I do not have a sky subscription.

And also, the standard of RTE's productions are getting worse. The quality of the punditry is awful, commentating, choice of games and the sunday game highlights editing in terms of games being shown and volume of action to talk is all on the wrong side of average. If nothing else, I was hoping that the introduction of sky to the market would improve RTE, it seems to have made not a jot of a difference.

The punditry on both Rte and Sky are equally sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Fully agree.

Only until recently not many games were shown on TV.

I hate this bull**** that we should get the games for free. Why should we?

I heard no one complaining about Setanta having the League games for years, only when sky entered the market, the regular Joe kicked up a stink.

And if you want to see the games on sky bad enough it ain't rocket science to find a link to them online.

Wahey. I'm not alone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't like having to go to the pub on a Saturday to watch a game

Only problem is, the money from the deal helps the GAA at every level

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can you get an online pass for €10 or something like that if you really want to watch the game? I'm sure you could also get a sub for June and July if you really wanted to see every game possible (but without actually going to the games).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I can understand the reasons people have for opposing the Sky deal but I have to admit that their gaelic games output is way better than RTÉ who seem to treat GAA coverage as an inconvenience. This year we've had The Sunday Game switched to RTÉ 1 with half time analysis interrupted by the Nuacht and the News for the Deaf. On several occasions they've cut back to the match for the start of the second half and the ball has already been thrown in. I can't ever imagine RTÉ doing this for a Six Nations match.

The RTÉ analysis of football moreso than hurling has become increasingly stale and at times tabloid (Brolly!). The main commentators are poor with the exception of Maloney and don't get me started on Martin Carney and Tommy Carr's contributions. The Sky deal should have been the kick up the backside RTÉ needed to improve their coverage but if anything it has gotten worse.

TG4 do a fantastic job on a limited budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All sports have a volunteer ethos to a large extent but that doesn't mean sporting organisations can turn down companies who are willing to pay for covering games because they are a satellite subscription service.
    That is great for you that you do all those things but you don't have to pay €700 or anything near that to watch sky

There isn't more games though isn't it the same package as TV3 had???
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id love if everyone got piece

RTE the main provider

Sky 2nd biggest provider

Tv3 and Tg4 to get a few matches. Early round Qualifers etc.

I think the league should get more tv time with RTE maybe showing a live game every weekend alongside TG4 (who are excellent with there coverage)

Virgin customers are rightly being ****ed over with BT/Eir sports being gone from the package. No Saturday night league games for us
    I don't think that will happen and will RTE want to show the league considering they already have a lot of sport during large parts of the league with rugby and 6Ns and don't want morel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There isn't more games though isn't it the same package as TV3 had???

Its a very different package. There were very few qualifiers shown in the previous TV deals, one year in the first two rounds of qualifiers there was only one game (out of the total of 16) shown live on TV3&RTE combined. The Sky package fixed this hole with them showing a game in nearly every qualifier gameweek (from both A and B sides of the draw) and sometimes double headers.
    Also noteworthy that Sky get shared coverage of the AI semifinals and finals which wasn't part of the previous deal, TV3 was finished for the season once their two exclusive football quarter finals had ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

If there are 8 games or whatever it is on sky, then is it that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things? the whole poor mouth and think of the 80 year old man out in the mountains spiel that we are getting is really nonsense.

I wonder would the same man who was 55 in 1991 be happy with the 9/10 games on live back then than the 50+ games on this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I live in the UK and the sky sports deal has been a life saver with regards to watching Garlic Games. People are so narrow minded it's beyond belief, our games are now openly accessible to everyone in the UK and Irish people living abroad.

Also! GAAGO charges 15 for a game but I can get a whole entire day of sky sports for 7.99 with now TV!!

I can watch the game again on GAAGO though...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can you get an online pass for €10 or something like that if you really want to watch the game? I'm sure you could also get a sub for June and July if you really wanted to see every game possible (but without actually going to the games).

Not in Ireland or the UK as RTÉ have rights for Ireland and Sky have rights for the UK.

• Advertisement

Not in Ireland or the UK as RTÉ have rights for Ireland and Sky have rights for the UK.

You're confusing GAAGO with the Sky Sports Day Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dont have sky and dont intend paying for it just to watch GAA matches, it deffo has restricted the amount of games that I'd watch live. Is there an option to pay for individual games? I dunno

TG4 do a good job for a small outfit in my book

Watching a game for the pundits..bit weird in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    The punditry on both Rte and Sky are equally sh1te.

Can't agree with that,the football punditry on SKY is excellent...I really enjoy McGuinness,Horan and Canavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

3 year deal is up now.

What do we think?

I hope Sky keep it up.

Sky's coverage of hurling is/was dire, with the cameras incapable of keeping up with the sliothar, and their habit of pushing up their prices until you threaten to leave is ridiculous; they rely on inertia.

It's easy for them to fork out amounts that win contracts when they charge extra for their channels, and even when you subscribe to SS1 & 2 on mobile they move the stuff you want to watch on to 5 and show cricket or some such rubbish on SS1.

If they had the channels split into dedicated channels - like they manage to do for F1 - then I might consider subscribing to one or two, but as it is I've no interest in helping them outbid other channels, as that is counterproductive and reduces the chances of the matches being on a non-premium channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Aren't all the gaa matches on Sky now on the free channel?

What free channel ???

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kneebreaker

O Riain wrote: »
    I live in the UK and the sky sports deal has been a life saver with regards to watching Garlic Games. People are so narrow minded it's beyond belief, our games are now openly accessible to everyone in the UK and Irish people living abroad.

Also! GAAGO charges 15 for a game but I can get a whole entire day of sky sports for 7.99 with now TV!!

I can watch the game again on GAAGO though...

How has the deal been a lifesaver? Premier Sports used to show all the games for a tenner a month. You could watch online or add the channel to your cable package.

GAAGO is a poor service and paying for a day pass on NowTV or a monthly subscription to Sky Sports is in no way an improvement on the substantially cheaper service that was there for years.

If anything I felt the Sky deal was a particular two fingers to UK gaels.

How has the deal been a lifesaver? Premier Sports used to show all the games for a tenner a month. You could watch online or add the channel to your cable package.

GAAGO is a poor service and paying for a day pass on NowTV or a monthly subscription to Sky Sports is in no way an improvement on the substantially cheaper service that was there for years.

If anything I felt the Sky deal was a particular two fingers to UK gaels.

Some UK based gaels will actually be saving money in that they already had Sky Sports and now don't require an additional subscription to Premier Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

howiya wrote: »
    Some UK based gaels will actually be saving money in that they already had Sky Sports and now don't require an additional subscription to Premier Sports

And that's why Sky got in the game, to get those UK gales (Christ I sound like Brolly now) to hold on to the sports sub during the summer.

I think the Sky free channel the other poster was talking about is a new channel that will be free with any Sky sub that will show sports that are usually on the Sky Sports channels, so the odd EPL game, golf event, F1 race etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Used to annoy me as I hadn't sky, until I found modbro - now I couldn't care less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Kneebreaker

howiya wrote: »

How? They also need to pay a subscription to GAAGO or €10 for individual matches not on sky. With Premier Sports every game was a tenner a month.

The cost and value of premier sports for 4 months with every game was substantially less than a GAAGO subscription and a Sky sub (even if you already had Sky)

In what way has accessing football or hurling improved for people in the UK? The Sky deal was sold as a great result for foreign gaels but in fact has just upped the cost with zero improvement in the quality of the service

Advertisement