Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Callum Chat/Non Technical Discussion (Including Travel)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The disaster junkies here must be very disappointed with this. A wet and windy day is all it was. People here jizzing themselves and circle jerking about how severe it was going to be.
    Personally, I'm pleased I took precautions with bins, kennels etc in garden and secured them in the shed . I also told my Dad's home help to not come in to us at 8 am this morning. She lives coastally and would have to leave her house at 7 am, when it was still quite wild.

It may be a wet and windy day now. But it was pretty wild overnight. I'd rather have the best information I can get and decide for myself what if any precautions to take. I'm relieved, not disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

no.8 wrote: »
    Mod(s). Can you please get the thread back in line with technical weather discussions. There are numerous people posting bravado comments with no real input and who likely live in regions which were not subject to severe weather. Many seem unable to stop themselves from posting rubbish.

Ye it wasn't windy or windy enough for you where you were, so what!!! It's a warning system, not enforced martial law

er this is the Non Technical Discussion thread

just saying like

it turned out to be a Damp Squid were I am situated - the warnings given out were very Fishy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

er this is the Non Technical Discussion thread

just saying like

In fairness I think that post got moved here along with a few others.

In fairness I think that post got moved here along with a few others.

oh - didnt realise that - where was it moved from , the technical thread was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

oh - didnt realise that - where was it moved from , the technical thread was it?

Yeah, I'm sure I remember reading it in there earlier

Yeah, I'm sure I remember reading it in there earlier

oh right thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Weather Summary for Ballinrobe, South Co Mayo:
    Storm Opehelia - No damage. Did not reach Ballinrobe at all
    Beast From the East - Did not come to Ballinrobe at all
    Storm Ali - Lots of trees down and power cuts.
    Storm Callum - Windy bit nothing out of the ordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,533 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have never seen anyone using those fekkin trampolines ever.

Jorry Odams has been known to use one naked, but you probably wouldn't want to see that.
    sjb25 wrote: »
    How bout a darker shade of orange almost like red ;)

"The national weather warning has been upgraded from Saffron to Salmon"

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Probably localized flooding in the SE over the next 24hrs. About 30mm expected, and perhaps about 20mm south and east coasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s been fun over here in the “idiot section for people not allowed on the real weather forum myself included” but all good things must come to an end.good times.catch ye all on the next idiot section for the next “storm” so probably couple of days.ha.
    Over and out good buddies

sjb25 wrote: »
    How bout a darker shade of orange almost like red ;)

just wondering how do a dark green weather warning be like? - I think it would look good on a map

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Jorry Odams has been known to use one naked, but you probably wouldn't want to see that.

"The national weather warning has been upgraded from Saffron to Salmon"

"Rains of fish expected."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Flights to Dublin still cancelled. Would this be a capacity issue since it's pretty calm here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Over sensitive much???? I referenced my area, and the conditions in my area! I never said it was the same nation wide!

I was actually referring to your remark about certain mammys wanting a lay in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Amprodude wrote: »
    we love hype in Ireland.

I think the hype has become worse since Met Eireann started giving those colour coded warnings.
    Joanna Donnelly is the Queen of those,she almost appears orgasmic when issuing them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Joanna Donnelly is the Queen of those,she almost appears orgasmic when issuing them.

:p

Did not seem to have all these issues pre-JD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

GGTrek wrote:
    They are probably cash in hand/holding deposit scammers. Quite a few advertising on daft. These are police matters.

I think the hype has become worse since Met Eireann started giving those colour coded warnings. Joanna Donnelly is the Queen of those,she almost appears orgasmic when issuing them.

Storm Callum was a non event in North Dublin. Met Eireann forecasters have become celebrities for simply reading a weather forecast. It seems to me that it's all about them & not the actual weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

TCM wrote: »
    Storm Callum was a non event in North Dublin. Met Eireann forecasters have become celebrities for simply reading a weather forecast. It seems to me that it's all about them & not the actual weather.

They're damned if the do or don't!
    Its not an exact science. They don't control the movement of the weather patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And what about the rest of the population who aren't in North Dublin?

and while I'm at it, you do realise that most of the forecasters don't just read the forecast, they write it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

They're damned if the do or don't!
    Its not an exact science. They don't control the movement of the weather patterns.

And science needs investment to improve, people in the 80s would be amazed with the forecasting abilities of today. We are spoilt but improvments dont come for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

8jygtmthenr11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'll bow out with this post.

ME aren't the problem. The colour warnings aren't the problem. The real problem lies with the media crap and the follow up social media crap. I suspect the so called mainstream media just feed off a social media platform that they are themselves immersed in. It has resulted in extremely poor journalism and reporting. There are various opinions on all these storms in relation to warnings and all of the BS comes from the media. I'm sick and tired of reading about Storm (pick a name) is going to BATTER the country, when the real story from ME has it broken down into colour coded alert areas and life goes on according to it.

I witnessed a band cancelling a gig last night within the yellow alert area. A completely stupid idea, if you actually read the criteria for a yellow alert weather warning, the trip back and forth would be safe. But nope, they were staying put. The media both social and mainstream have delivered a two way attitude to storms.

1. We are all doomed. Stay indoors.
    2. Ah it will be grand, I'm goin swimming anyway.

Both attitudes are far far away from the reality of actually reading the real stuff and not relying on drama queen crap from the like of the Indo or facebook idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hal1 wrote: »
    8jygtmthenr11.jpg

RTE have a series of documentaries on at the moment about Irish lighthouses.
    It’s probably one of the best they’ve ever produced.
    Last nights was about how fastnet was built and the stories from the lighthouse keepers about the storms they witnessed are amazing.
    Really worth a watch on the RTE player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RTE have a series of documentaries on at the moment about Irish lighthouses.
    It’s probably one of the best they’ve ever produced.
    Last nights was about how fastnet was built and the stories from the lighthouse keepers about the storms they witnessed are amazing.
    Really worth a watch on the RTE player.

Have you visited the Mizen Head complex? Used to go there frequently... an awesome resource

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'll bow out with this post.

ME aren't the problem. The colour warnings aren't the problem. The real problem lies with the media crap and the follow up social media crap. I suspect the so called mainstream media just feed off a social media platform that they are themselves immersed in. It has resulted in extremely poor journalism and reporting. There are various opinions on all these storms in relation to warnings and all of the BS comes from the media. I'm sick and tired of reading about Storm (pick a name) is going to BATTER the country, when the real story from ME has it broken down into colour coded alert areas and life goes on according to it.

I witnessed a band cancelling a gig last night within the yellow alert area. A completely stupid idea, if you actually read the criteria for a yellow alert weather warning, the trip back and forth would be safe. But nope, they were staying put. The media both social and mainstream have delivered a two way attitude to storms.

1. We are all doomed. Stay indoors.
    2. Ah it will be grand, I'm goin swimming anyway.

Both attitudes are far far away from the reality of actually reading the real stuff and not relying on drama queen crap from the like of the Indo or facebook idiots.

at a "disadvantage"(!) as I do not use/have "social media" or TV or radio. Rely totally on met.ie, boards, and most of all, what is going on around here. Far safer and far healthier. and more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

It’s not ME , it’s the media . After Ophelia last year there were lots of articles like ‘meet the face of Ophelia ‘ which was basically an interview with Joanna Donnelly

Very cringe

Imagine if we went to war , the newscasters would be like celebrities

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Graces7 wrote: »
    at a "disadvantage"(!) as I do not use/have "social media" or TV or radio. Rely totally on met.ie, boards, and most of all, what is going on around here. Far safer and far healthier. and more than enough.

Would boards.ie not be considered social media ? Just curious

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Would boards.ie not be considered social media ? Just curious

Yes....but no hype here! :p

Advertisement