Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trailer EU plating

Options
  • 02-05-2020 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi There,

I have a double axle trailer built by a small engineering firm as a one off so it’s not EU plated.

I bought it second hand some time ago but it’s fine and every thing works perfectly, in accordance with all lighting requirements etc.

Does the trailer need to be EU plated or is this for newly manufactured trailers only?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s a bit of a grey area I think. As long as you aren’t selling it, I think you’re ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BEO567

Thanks Colm.

It’s a very grey area alright, insurance is that bit I’m trying to figure out. If I’m towing with it and involved in an accident, am I insured even though it’s not an EU plated trailer... my limited research isn’t really giving any definitive answers !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

BEO567 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I have a double axle trailer built by a small engineering firm as a one off so it’s not EU plated.

I bought it second hand some time ago but it’s fine and every thing works perfectly, in accordance with all lighting requirements etc.

Does the trailer need to be EU plated or is this for newly manufactured trailers only?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

The cvrt place I use will inspect and plate trailers but I don't know what they charge.
    I have twin axle trailer like you (over enginered if anything almost a tonne empty) and asked them a few years ago . They said that no matter how sure I was about its roadworthyness they would find something .
    I never bothered about it since and have been pulled by the guards a few times with it and they were happy enough.
    I'm insured to tow up to 3.5 tonne , I think the trailer or what's in it is not covered but any damage or injury to a third party is and I have never been asked what make trailer I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The E.U approval plating only applies to selling of newly built trailers. After 2013 new trailers had to be type approved. However, there's no way to prove how old a certain trailer is without a plate. So it's not illegal to use a non plated trailer.
    I do think there should be a basic roadworthiness standard for trailers, especially those with 2 or more axles. I'm talking lights, hitch, tyres and bearings. But the usual accusations on 'money making racket' would be thrown around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BEO567

Thanks a million.

Some form of testing would be great, doesn’t matter what trailer you have then. Once you’re complying with some set of rules and the trailer meets the set criteria, then happy days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement