Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence fallen on rented property

Options
  • 13-02-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi Folks,
    Garden fence fell during recent storm basically leaving back garden open for anyone to walk in. I have reported to landlord as it's explicit in lease that he is responsible for all repairs including fencing. He is very slow to respond on this and I wonder is there any sort of guideline for time that he should remedy this in as it exposes his property to risk and our home is not secure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Might it help to be pro-active about resolving it? Get in 3 quotes. Email them to the landlord. Take the admin strain out of it a little may help you both.
    I wouldn't be entertaining anything where he suggests you pay and its sorted out later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

Hi Folks,
    Garden fence fell during recent storm basically leaving back garden open for anyone to walk in. I have reported to landlord as it's explicit in lease that he is responsible for all repairs including fencing. He is very slow to respond on this and I wonder is there any sort of guideline for time that he should remedy this in as it exposes his property to risk and our home is not secure.

Could you not temporarily repair it at the same time as being in contact with the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Could you not temporarily repair it at the same time as being in contact with the landlord?

Not a good idea imo - the LL may claim that your temporary fix has in some way damaged the fence.

How long has it been like this? Just a few days? Or more than a week?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is it damaged beyond repair?
    Is it the timber panels that go between the concrete posts?

They are only 30e so the LL shouldn't be delaying it. Same happened to my rented property last year and it cost 800e to fix as it pulled the concrete posts down with them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There isn't a timeframe on repairs- the legislation uses ambiguous terms which can be interpreted in different ways. Aka- something which materially affects the tenancy- such as lack of heating, cooking facilities, washing, running water etc- would be urgent- whereas the exterior boundary of the property would be considered to be a lot less urgent an issue.

Legally it is the responsibility of the landlord to maintain the exterior and grounds of the property- and if they fail to do so, local authorities have the right to take action up to and including fines, against a landlord, for failure to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 gerardmillrace

No gate and fence totally snapped off rotten at base

kceire wrote: »
    Is it damaged beyond repair?
    Is it the timber panels that go between the concrete posts?

They are only 30e so the LL shouldn't be delaying it. Same happened to my rented property last year and it cost 800e to fix as it pulled the concrete posts down with them!

Yes completely rotten posts years of neglect

MacDanger wrote: »
    Not a good idea imo - the LL may claim that your temporary fix has in some way damaged the fence.

How long has it been like this? Just a few days? Or more than a week?

Into wk2

Advertisement