Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

1707172737476»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

NDWC wrote: »
    The R&A could add a rule to stop this.
    A two stroke penalty, a disqualification for a repeat, a holiday from that major if there is more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Mod snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Mod Snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mod snip

Mod snip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mod snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Messi19 wrote: »
    We made the decision to leave the course when Lowry was on 14 and go for a pint in the pub beside the station to watch the end and get the 6.35 train. Sounds like it was the right call if it was taking an hour to get out afterwards

Sounds to me like a very odd call. Akin to the fella who leaves the match early to beat the crowd.
    I know that the crowd makes golf a hard watch but why go in the first place if that’s the way you feel?
    You had an opportunity to be there, right in the thick of the action on a very very historic moment....... but you blew it. May as well have stayed at home if you ask me!

When you are telling the grandkids about where you were when Shane Lowry won the open you be saying.....well I could have been there..... I was there for a bit, but then I went to the pub.

Just sounds odd to me

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Mod snip

Mod snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mod snip

• Advertisement

Mod snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mod snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Seve OB wrote: »
    Sounds to me like a very odd call. Akin to the fella who leaves the match early to beat the crowd.
    I know that the crowd makes golf a hard watch but why go in the first place if that’s the way you feel?
    You had an opportunity to be there, right in the thick of the action on a very very historic moment....... but you blew it. May as well have stayed at home if you ask me!

When you are telling the grandkids about where you were when Shane Lowry won the open you be saying.....well I could have been there..... I was there for a bit, but then I went to the pub.

Just sounds odd to me
    I left early. At that stage we knew the result.
    If you wanted to follow Lowry you would be in a crowd running for position.
    The grandstand at 18 was full and it had a long queue.
    You would not be in the thick of the action, you would be far away from the action, perhaps unable to see any of the shots.
    I am from Offaly.

My Open experience was three practice days and four tournament days.
    I have no wish to tell people where I was when Lowry sank the winning putt.
    On day 1 I saw him drive off the 1st, and saw him many times over the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I left on the Saturday early when Shane was leading. Would have loved to have stayed longer and watched till the end. But It's a 3hour drive home, and I still had to get out to the university in coleraine to get my motorbike, load it, and leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The question as to whether Golf is an Olympic Sport is interesting but off topic, feel free to start a new thread and discuss away as this thread is about the Open at Portrush.

Discussion about what country players elect to play for is banned per the forum charter so please refrain from making any posts

Posts as above all snipped

Has this thread run its course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A bit late of a reply, but was chatting to a work colleague who owns a holiday home in Portrush, and he said the town itself was dead during the Open.

It had a fortune of money spent on it too in preparation, but it appears the vast majority of fans stayed out at the course and didn't bother venturing in to town.

I'm sure there was loads of disappointed retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

NIMAN wrote: »
    A bit late of a reply, but was chatting to a work colleague who owns a holiday home in Portrush, and he said the town itself was dead during the Open.

It had a fortune of money spent on it too in preparation, but it appears the vast majority of fans stayed out at the course and didn't bother venturing in to town.

Going by my experience of Portrush and others on the forum the course was close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I can only speak about the Saturday night as it was the only night I stayed over but the town was busy, especially down in the harbour which was absolutely rammed. Good buzz about the place as you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

NIMAN wrote: »

The town was busy when the weather was nice (or even ok) but some nights it just hammered down so people stayed closer to their hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wasnt there so cant comment, but i have been to a couple of Opens at St Andrews and i've felt the same thing, town is busy but not as hectic as you'd expect. Would guess Portrush and St Andrews are similar in that they are open venues with decent size towns on their doorstep, lot of the venues are a bit isolated. Maybe people dont stay around afterwards? Day watching golf is long and tiring, so not so many up for a nights revelling after? Just a guess really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Neewollah

Was up for the weekend and avoided Portrush after the golf both nights as I expected it to be too busy. Went to Portstewart on the Saturday night and was lucky to get a table for food. Was crazy busy. Went somewhere a bit more isolated on the Sunday night and that was nice and steady with a good flow coming in from the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Played the Great North West Links challenge in October a couple of times, which is Glashedy in Ballyliffin, Strand in Portstewart and the Dunluce in Portrush. It was great value at €200 odd.

They've changed it though. Now its the Valley course in Portrush instead of the Dunluce. Still €230!

It was the best of deals, but unfortunately, its gone!

Advertisement