Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to kill Politics Café?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought there was already a minimum post count/join date for PC 2.0 already along with the access request?

Edit: There is a 3 month and 250 post count restriction

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057753981/1/#post103836472

The point is there shouldn't be any criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,128 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Surely now more than ever boards.ie shouldn’t be killing discussion? Posting is massively down all across the site as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Surely now more than ever boards.ie shouldn’t be killing discussion? Posting is massively down all across the site as is.

only the correct kind of discussion can be allowed though, can't be annoying the corporates with anything controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is an issue that's been going on for years and I've made several posts about it myself, but at this stage I just don't care anymore to be honest.

It's clear that for whatever reason the site owners are happy with this decline, the staff (paid and unpaid - let's not get into that derailment again!) are too busy shuffling threads around and designing HR type policies for a discussion forum, and the userbase seems increasingly to be a lot of re-regs posting inflammatory comments or threads to stifle discussion or just troll outright. Then you have the group of friends moving from thread to thread, similarly stifling discussion by being unwelcoming to others (Motors is a long-standing example of that).

Meh. I use it as a source of local/Irish information and knowledge and may throw in comments on topics here and there but for the most part I just browse for a few mins here and there when bored. I'm not invested enough to bother with much more than that anymore.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    ...and the userbase seems increasingly to be a lot of re-regs posting inflammatory comments or threads to stifle discussion or just troll outright....

An access restriction helps to reduce the issue raised by Kaiser above. And there is a time to ask whether more posts is definitively better. It's not about killing discussion; people are currently welcome to apply for access or they can use the Politics forum for discussion of the same topic but with different requirements.
    only the correct kind of discussion can be allowed though, can't be annoying the corporates with anything controversial

There are plenty of topics discussed on Boards of varying degrees of seriousness and controversy.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Then you have the group of friends moving from thread to thread, similarly stifling discussion by being unwelcoming to others (Motors is a long-standing example of that).

I think it would be best to highlight concerns like these directly with Mods either via PM or by reporting posts that you see being unwelcome to others/stifling discussion. You could also contact the CMods.

Now, I'm afraid I will have to ask that we keep this thread related to PC2.0 as there is a risk of losing focus.

As Mike said, discussions are underway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Beasty wrote: »
    I don't disagree. This is to some extent linked to the recently closed AH thread in Feedback, and the Current Affairs forum we've been considering. It has re-ignited discussion about a new forum with the Admin team and Office staff, and I would hope we can make some progress on this before too much longer

As long as this new Current Affairs forum doesn’t mean that current affairs threads will be moved from AH, all we’ll be left with then is threads about defecating by reregs.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    As long as this new Current Affairs forum doesn’t mean that current affairs threads will be moved from AH, all we’ll be left with then is threads about defecating by reregs.

follow the threads then, why are people so married to AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

AH threads moved anywhere generally don't do well.
    If you're following the flow of a thread and it gets moved,well you just won't be bothered starting again.
    The questions and angles are lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Some people who have signed up to the site, refuse pointblank to ask permission to post in certain forums.

Shifting a thread off to a forum where the OP hasn't been granted permission to post in the forum it was shunted to, is madness.

The fact you can apply for access doesn't seem to matter to some poster's it would seem.

I'm really at a loss to understand why you need shag all permission, post count or membership of the site needing to be over a certain period to post in the busiest forum on the site - After Hours, and the rereg trolls get eradicated there by the mods in a timely enough manner, yet politics cafe, a post apocalyptic waste ground in comparison has all the shackles on it, and hoops that need to be jumped through before one can get on there.

It's madness.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Why is this an issue? If Current Affairs is open access, then surely the location of the thread isn't an issue. Arguing against moving threads to Current Affairs only serves to highlight that the problem with the Café may not just have been that posters have to ask for access, but that some people simply want their posts up front and centre in After Hours, and wouldn't be happy with any other setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike_ie wrote: »
    Why is this an issue? If Current Affairs is open access, then surely the location of the thread isn't an issue. Arguing against moving threads to Current Affairs only serves to highlight that the problem with the Café may not just have been that posters have to ask for access, but that some people simply want their posts up front and centre in After Hours, and wouldn't be happy with any other setup.

People post in AH because it's busy. Moving threads from anywhere doesn't work.

This can't be a revelation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

mike_ie wrote: »
    Why is this an issue? If Current Affairs is open access, then surely the location of the thread isn't an issue. Arguing against moving threads to Current Affairs only serves to highlight that the problem with the Cafay not just have been that posters have to ask for access, but that some people simply want their posts up front and centre in After Hours, and wouldn't be happy with any other setup.

How has creating extra fora on boards worked out in the past? From what I can see, in recent times, the sum of the posts due to segmentation is not equal to the sum of a more general forum.

And you’re correct, I don’t see access to Politics Cafe as the issue. In AH a thread can go anywhere, and that’s something I like about it. Personally I post in AH for the craic, and occasionally I’ll post in a serious thread. I don’t go seeking out serious threads/fora, I may browse them but I don’t post.

Is access still a requirement for PC? If it is, how about trialing removing it for a while? See what happens and then make a permanent move whether to keep the requirements or remove them.

The mods in AH are doing a great job, they are allowing opinions from both sides, it’s refreshing when you see how much of an echo chamber most social media has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The mods in AH are doing a great job, they are allowing opinions from both sides, it’s refreshing when you see how much of an echo chamber most social media has become.

No, it's shite.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

How has creating extra fora on boards worked out in the past? From what I can see, in recent times, the sum of the posts due to segmentation is not equal to the sum of a more general forum.

I don't think that anyone disagrees that areas of the site should become more streamlined, and certain less busy forums could be merged into one (it's something that we are working towards on a case by case basis), however, that only works when the end game and general ethos of each forum of origin is more or less the same.

The issue I see with After Hours at the moment is that its purpose, in theory, is to be a place where you can have lighthearted threads, and also be a place where everyone can openly discuss (sometimes controversial) topics and content and express their views while respecting the rights of others.

The reality is somewhat different. We have a not unreasonable percentage of posters who post in the lighthearted threads, and then somehow extrapolate from the fact that AH has a more open charter than other forums, that they can post absolute vitriol, some of it genuine hate speech, and scream from the rafters about their "right" to freely express their opinion if the post is removed or the thread shut down.

And here we're getting to the crux of the problem. The issue isn't just having to request access to the Politics Cafe, or having to follow a thread to another part of the site. For a certain subset of posters, what they wanted all along was an uninhibited venue in which to potentially post bile, to as wide an audience as possible. And they see After Hours as their personal sandbox to do so.

They're not. And when I say that, I don't mean that as a slight on them and they aren't flat out trying, but their task is akin to pushing water up a hill. A quick look shows me that there 364 reported posts since June 1st, or 3,347 since the beginning of the year, a huge percentage of them related to blatant traveller bashing, misogyny, Islamophobia, racism, to name a few. The mods are sick to the back teeth of trying to keep their finger in the dam, and I can't say I blame them.

It gets thrown out here quite a bit that we don't listen to the userbase, but the userbase isn't just the squeakiest wheel in feedback. The sheer volume of reported posts tells me that the userbase isn't happy with the quality of posting in AH. Something needs to change.

So it's a more complicated issue than "Why don't you get more mods?", "Why don't the mods do their jobs?" (one could turn it around and ask "Why don't a large subset of posters stop being dicks?", but that's a conversation for another day). I don't think that any topic should be off-limits, and sometimes you need to let stupid people say stupid things sometimes, in the hope that other people will point out that person's stupidity. However, the difficulty here is allowing for an online dialogue that mirrors the exchange of ideas and opinions that happens throughout people’s lives offline, while eliminating the obvious trolls, and people who hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

Should AH be able to facilitate this? In the ideal world, yes. In theory, every forum here should operate by one simple guiding principle: Don't be a dick. However, it's not a perfect world, and enough people have abused the open nature of the "don't be a dick" rule to warrant charters and addendums to varying degrees in different forums, depending on the nature of the forum to begin with. And the way things stand in AH at the moment, I think it's gone beyond a one charter fits all scenario - if we allow for lighthearted anything goes threads, then we have to specifically ask for a slightly higher standard of posting when it comes to controversial topics. For me, the only way I see of doing this is by filtering more serious or controversial threads somehow, making them distinct from the lighthearted threads, and applying a slightly higher level of moderation to them, to weed out the trolls and genuine racists/homophones/Islamophobes etc. while still allowing open discussion to occur.

Mike that's a nice post, but there is one huge problem.

One person's "islamophobia" is another person's "islam's teachings are bad because...", or one person's "racism" is another person's "this distinct group of people seem to have a problem with...."

Having a non-randomly chosen group of people tasked with making those arbitrary desicions is the issue, and furthermore, having that same group not applying their interpretation of the charter in a consistent fashion. And even further, those people and people further up the hierarchy getting their heckles up when anyone makes the mistake of questioning that.

One person's "islamophobia" is another person's "islam's teachings are bad because...", or one person's "racism" is another person's "this distinct group of people seem to have a problem with...."

Broadly speaking, I agree with you - what you describe above is by definition "points of view", and of course they are going to differ from person to person. However, the above might hold more weight for me if people were actually posting along the lines of "this distinct group of people seem to have a problem with....". But, to a concerning degree, that's not the case. One poster's recent charming viewpoint on the the travelling community was:
    Surely a plausible call for ethnic cleansing. They add nothing to society, all they do is take take take. A scourge.

...and this is by no means a unique example.

This is my own personal opinion here, but as a discussion forum, we can't simply gag all racist/homophobic/misogynistic viewpoints, if for no other reason than so they can be fought. But on what planet does dehumanizing prejudiced nastiness like the above permit civil conversation? Folks who post this sort of bile should be banned.
    Having a non-randomly chosen group of people tasked with making those arbitrary desicions is the issue, and furthermore, having that same group not applying their interpretation of the charter in a consistent fashion. And even further, those people and people further up the hierarchy getting their heckles up when anyone makes the mistake of questioning that.

What would you propose in its stead? There are arguments for both camps of course. On one side, it can be debated that allowing such rhetoric normalizes and spreads it, no matter how much effort is put into fighting it. And that allowing it to be debated it puts it into the socially acceptable category of "things a reasonable person can debate over". On the other hand, not allowing it to be discussed pushes it underground where people become more radicalized, and we end up with points of view along the lines of "Look at these immigrants, taking over the country, stealing our jobs, breeding like rabbits, ethnic cleansing etc."

But either way, what remains is an interesting line to define as a moderator. Mods need to encourage people to post, yes. But they need to encourage people to post in the right way. However, I don't believe that the decision-making process is as arbitrary as you believe. I don't personally mod AH, but I would imagine a value judgement needs to be made in many cases. Some posts need to be tackled head-on and stamped out, others might be the sort of post that I would expect other posters can swing back at and make a difference in the minds of the readers. But by that very nature, sometimes it means different mods will fall on different sides of whatever line is drawn in terms of their immediate response. I might come across a reported post and decide that it's better to leave it and let people know their views are not acceptable and deplatform them, whereas another mod might fall slightly the other side of the line and remove it.

Do mods always fall on the right side of the line? Of course not. It's an imperfect system, and I don't believe there is a perfect system to deal with posts like this, and the direction AH has taken as of late. But I'd argue that the AH mods make the right call far more frequently than they make the wrong one.

Based on feedback here, and in other feedback threads, and with the opening of the Current Affairs/IMHO forum, we have decided to take your comments on board and close the Politics Café. I do applaud the mod team there who have put up a valiant effort to steer the Café towards what it was originally intended to be, but I also feel that to an extent, biases built up in the past iteration of the Café seem to be a bell that we can't unring.

My post in the Café this morning.
    Good morning guys,

As some of you may be aware, in response to feedback from users across the site, we recently created the Current Affairs/IMHO forum as a place for frank exchanges of views on serious and at-times controversial topics, which users clearly want to discuss. It will allow users to openly discuss issues and express their views while respecting the rights of others. Threads that have the potential for more serious or controversial discussion can be moved there. Of course, the obvious trolls still get nuked, but the idea is to foster an environment where everyone can openly discuss issues and express their views while respecting the rights of others.

However, by going ahead with this, we have decided to close the Café.

From a purely practical perspective, the Café will become redundant with the Current Affairs forum in place - content in each is similar enough that posters simply aren't going to request access and post in the Café if they can post in an open-access Current Affairs forum. The issue of access and visibility is one that comes up on a regular basis in feedback, and while a degree of that is coming from posters who still hold on to biases built up in previous iterations of the Café, it's still something we need to consider.

I'd like to thank the mods and posters who put in so much effort into keeping this place open over the past few years, and I hope to see you bring your discussions to the Current Affairs forum. For now, we will not accept any new posters to the Café, and will close it this weekend, to give threads a chance to wind down.

~Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Will the limited number of active(ish) threads in there be moved across also?

blackwhite wrote: »
    Will the limited number of active(ish) threads in there be moved across also?

After discussion with the CA mods and Café mods, a handful of active threads were moved, yes.

Advertisement