Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIRTRICITY and BCW Group

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everybody. I have some question.
    Is Airtricity has the right to transfer my details [address, email, phone number] to the debt collector [Buchanan & Clark]?
    I have to pay off debt [although I think the bills were inflated lousy] and mail agreed with them, that I'm gonna pay in installments, because I do not have a job and they agreed. I suddenly BCW Group started to bother me, call, send emails. When I asked why the Airtricity gave my details, they said that I pay off for small amounts and they act in accordance with the law.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like the past on your details due to non payment of your bill, they likely outline that they can do this in such instances in their terms and conditions. Have you checked the terms and conditions you agreed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Endynav

Well, I actually did not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You obviously did miss one or more bills because you say you owe Airtricity a debt.
    Did Airtricity agree to allow you to pay in instalments or did they agree to allow you pay a set amount in instalments. i.e. did you both agree the repayment amounts and frequency?

Endynav wrote: »
    Well, I actually did not...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Endynav wrote: »
    Hi everybody. I have some question.
    Is Airtricity has the right to transfer my details [address, email, phone number] to the debt collector [Buchanan & Clark]?
    I have to pay off debt [although I think the bills were inflated lousy] and mail agreed with them, that I'm gonna pay in installments, because I do not have a job and they agreed. I suddenly BCW Group started to bother me, call, send emails. When I asked why the Airtricity gave my details, they said that I pay off for small amounts and they act in accordance with the law.

They can pass on your details to BCW for the sole purpose of recovering a debt. Had something similar happen to a friend of mine and Bord Gais passing on details to a debt collection agency.

I didn't think it was right so I contacted data protection asking if they had the right, who got back to me saying they do to collect a debt and that they have to have it outlined in their terms and conditions, which they did. Airtricty have it outlined too:
    11.4 Information You provide can also be shared between us and third parties who provide and/ or receive services in relation to this Agreement in order to fulfill our obligations. We may carry out credit and fraud prevention checks with licensed credit reference and fraud prevention agencies and they and/or Us shall retain a copy of their results. Information from Your application and payment details for Your account may be recorded by these agencies and may be shared with other organisations to help make credit and insurance decisions about You and members of Your household and for debt collection and fraud prevention purposes

Get on to airtricity again, outline your agreement with them to pay and ask them to call off the hounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

They have appointed the other crowd as an agent acting on their behalf. Completely legit.

The bills can't be inflated if that's the usage that showed on the meter. If you have been over-estimated, send in a meter reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement