Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to register motorcycle club??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Houses 200m away too, jaysus.

Track was there long before that house was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Track was there long before that house was

People whose house was built long after Dublin Airport still give out about the noise :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

People whose house was built long after Dublin Airport still give out about the noise :rolleyes:

I worked at some venues for various concerts and events and someone came to my gate complaining about the noise. Obvious question you're beside a venue and it predates your house what did you expect haha.

I know a few lads head up a forest/farm land every other weekend, none have had any bother. Farmer doesn't use the field, forest is never walked in from what I'm told and they leave it as close to as they found it as they can, don't think there's ever been a word said. Lovely views too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

That will be another reason the local community will not want it - the risk of outsiders coming in causing trouble.

I live in Douglas, Cork. Vernon mount is a few miles away and I can hear the bikes regularly making noise. It is so annoying. And I can only imagine how annoying it is for people living over the way closer to it. And they have the whole area around vernon mount absolutely destroyed. The place is like a perpetual building site - all torn up. There are probably massive amounts of silt laden runoff running down into the tramore river.
    If that place had not been a bike track, it is likely that it would not have attacted the antisocial behaviour that resulted in the burning of the house.

Vernon Mount was a legal venue for MX events for decades. Staged a leg of the world championship leg at least twice. It was also the headquarters of a 100 year old and venerable motor club. MX events were usually once a month, maybe twice in summer. My memory is locals were tolerant of the noise.

There is no evidence that the arson on the house was related to motorcyclists. That's scurrilous speculation on your part. You said yourself the boundary isn't secure. It was common knowledge in the area that it was a venue for bush drinking parties. So the arsonists responsible are more likely to have been your neighbours than the "outsiders" you want to demonise.

You think bare earth is an environmental disaster? And some silt in the river? Ha! Slurry-spreading season will be starting soon where I live.
    Located on that river is a ring-road, a retail park, a shopping centre and the old city dump. What do you think the run-off is from that lot?
    Tidy towns and the scouts pulled approx ten shopping trolleys and a lorry-load of crap out of a short stretch of the river a couple of years ago.
    So please .. a little perspective.

It's not an appropriate venue for an "open every day" MX track but the precedent has been established and occasional events ought to be permitted. (Parc Ui Caoimh isnt in an appropriate location either but five suburbs have to put up with occasional match day traffic jams)

If locals, or those vile outsiders, are trespassing on their motorbikes I suggest you demand the owners secure the site. Oh wait, the owners left the place go to rack and ruin.
    I won't condemn the trespassing bikers. I did the same myself once upon a time. Should make another visit maybe.

Vernon Mount was a legal venue for MX events for decades. Staged a leg of the world championship leg at least twice. It was also the headquarters of a 100 year old and venerable motor club. MX events were usually once a month, maybe twice in summer. My memory is locals were tolerant of the noise.

There is no evidence that the arson on the house was related to motorcyclists. That's scurrilous speculation on your part. You said yourself the boundary isn't secure. It was common knowledge in the area that it was a venue for bush drinking parties. So the arsonists responsible are more likely to have been your neighbours than the "outsiders" you want to demonise.

You think bare earth is an environmental disaster? And some silt in the river? Ha! Slurry-spreading season will be starting soon where I live.
    Located on that river is a ring-road, a retail park, a shopping centre and the old city dump. What do you think the run-off is from that lot?
    Tidy towns and the scouts pulled approx ten shopping trolleys and a lorry-load of crap out of a short stretch of the river a couple of years ago.
    So please .. a little perspective.

It's not an appropriate venue for an "open every day" MX track but the precedent has been established and occasional events ought to be permitted. (Parc Ui Caoimh isnt in an appropriate location either but five suburbs have to put up with occasional match day traffic jams)

If locals, or those vile outsiders, are trespassing on their motorbikes I suggest you demand the owners secure the site. Oh wait, the owners left the place go to rack and ruin.
    I won't condemn the trespassing bikers. I did the same myself once upon a time. Should make another visit maybe.

I know plenty of grass roots and world class mx riders not champion level but good enough to compete and tracks are hallowed grounds. They'd never destroy anything around their track.
    The type of young fella that rides a non road legal bike on the road around estates and parks won't be taking part in legit mx events for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I worked at some venues for various concerts and events and someone came to my gate complaining about the noise. Obvious question you're beside a venue and it predates your house what did you expect haha.

I know a few lads head up a forest/farm land every other weekend, none have had any bother. Farmer doesn't use the field, forest is never walked in from what I'm told and they leave it as close to as they found it as they can, don't think there's ever been a word said. Lovely views too.

Button factory use to always get complaints by a resident who moved to an apartment nearby knowing about the music venue.

you still working in concerts, or out of that for now?

goblin59 wrote: »
    Button factory use to always get complaints by a resident who moved to an apartment nearby knowing about the music venue.

you still working in concerts, or out of that for now?

Been out of that for a while thankfully had some great laughs at people's stupidity, the amount of random notes you find on the ground is unreal too.

I remember laffyetes or however you spell it actually got shut down for a week over noise complaints before the button factory started getting loads or around the same time.

There was some seriously stupid complaints put in, mate ya live over/ beside a nightclub/ venue what do you honestly expect.

I'd rather a club noise for 4 hours than a 2 stroke for the same length though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

OP, I suggest you take a look at the Motocross Ireland, Motorcycling Ireland and Dirtbike Ireland, websites and facebook pages, if you want to start a club, there are plenty of facilities in place at the moment with tracks in Cork Wexford Kildare Dublin Westmeath and Louth, plus lots of grasstrack events, to use these tracks you have to be a member of one of the registered clubs, you don't have to compete, there are plenty of practice days without racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I remember laffyetes or however you spell it actually got shut down for a week over noise complaints before the button factory started getting loads or around the same time.

There is some crackpot living near Lucan (where Dublin Airport noise would be low) who has made something like 5000 noise complaints against Dublin Airport :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

Been out of that for a while thankfully had some great laughs at people's stupidity, the amount of random notes you find on the ground is unreal too.

There was some seriously stupid complaints put in, mate ya live over/ beside a nightclub/ venue what do you honestly expect.

I'd rather a club noise for 4 hours than a 2 stroke for the same length though.

Definitely seen some random **** alright!
    Got a complaint against me on metal ireland before, someone took great offense that I wouldn't hand them a set list and instead gave it to one of the girls.
    not sure what the **** he was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 podko1

I can't believe what I'm reading here... I actually created an account just to put my 2p here...

What is sad, is the mentality of some... Motocross, quad, mountain biking etc etc does not really matter what it is...as soon as it is outside of the "norm" it is considered to be dangerous, visited by scumbags, anti-social and so on..

It is unbelievable to see the regress that this country is doing in terms of sporting facilities to accommodate the same - oh hold on! as long as it is GAA or Rugby it's OK (this is sarcasm I like rugby!) and there is such a talent and interest in other sports. There used to be so many BMX tracks around teh country - all gone, there used to be monkey ropes style small little business in forests and so on so on...

Seeing the way the insurance companies are getting rid off everything including playgrounds! is really terrible.

But seeing people actually talking nonsense is even worse! I wonder how many of those posting the negative comments actually visited any of these places! Have you ever gone mountain biking, tried an off-road motorbike race etc.? Don't be silly posting hate here only because you find it amazing! Get out and experience, then you're entitled to comment!

Few more years with this approach and there will be nothing left in Ireland and the rest ruined by insurance and people with lot of land bringing it all to their grave....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

podko1 wrote: »
    Seeing the way the insurance companies are getting rid off everything including playgrounds! is really terrible. .

Why do you think this is though?

You, me, folks on here, relatives, friends, work colleagues - happy to appear mild-mannered and above reproach on an internet forum, yet very happy to be ruthless in pursuit of whimsical personal claims, inventing/amplifying injuries/effects, and determined to get "what they deserve".

What insurance company wants to bear that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

We are pretty close to electric dirt bikes, They will be quiet. Yup, it will take a while till there are cheaper ones out there, and 2nd hand, but it will come. That at least removes the noise problem.

If you can work with coilte to offer to clean up and ride in the fire breaks that should actually help them as nothing could grow there if enough bikes go through each week or 2.

I love a bit of a ramble off road on a bike, and have gone to Spain to ride on the TET trails. No litter, no torn up ground. Superb. Wish we could do similar here.

I think you have an uphill struggle, but I wish you the best with it.
    Merv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The bikes themselves would be a fire risk to the forests.

Anyway, insurance will put a stop to it. Coillte would laugh such a proposal out the door. And rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Farmers burning gorse is the perennial wild-fire risk.

Motorsport venues are equipped with safety equipment and procedures.

Advertisement