Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schoolyard games

Options
  • 20-01-2006 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Primary school, Bulldogs charge! Yeah, so violent!!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, I call (insert name of someone you don't like) over".

The kid would try to run past a line of other kids to get to the other side of the yard. If he got caught, he got the thumps and then was on your side :):D

Secondary school: Football with a tennis ball, 8.30 every morning and then at lunch-time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Pussy 4 corners.:D you and your friends spin around and someone says
    pussy 4 corners you then have to find a square and stand in it,whoever cant get a square is out:D :D:D kiss chasing YUK:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Snatch-the-bacon, Elastics and different games with skipping ropes is all I can remember at the mo. Oh and What time is it mister wolf?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Mosh? when everyone would squash one kid into a corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

football was the main one with me, we did a similar mosh thing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

skipping...especially near the end of promary school as it was a good way to get to know girls ;) pogs, top trumps, conkers....oh yea :D

• Advertisement

conkers were great, throwing big planks of wood to knock the best ones out of the tree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

hehe red rover was lethal back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Red Letter....'Red letter yellow letter I call the letter __' and everybody with that letter in their name moved forward..

And Mother May I..I can't remember what it entailed though.

Bulldog rocked! It got banned when we were in 4th class, because of the injuries..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Peaadina

Did anyone play a game called Ciggarettes On?
    I played it when I was really young with all the kids on my road.
    I know you said "Cigarettes on...x...." and then ran up and down.
    Really REALLY dont know why!

Skipping was great. altho the songs we used to have to go with them were odd!
    And such a job as i had to convince ppl that it was "vote vote vote for deValera" and not Fo fo Fo!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

1 2 3 redlight, Simon says, London Bridge is falling down, Hopscotch, Knux,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Eminem

Simon Says, crockidile, crockidile, What time is it mr Wolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Soccer, Or Bulldogs. That game was brutal. You just picked someone smaller that you and made bits of them. until it was banned. Also we used to kick a ball against a wall (Squash i think) until my cousins head got caught between a football and a pebbledash wall.
    Hide n' go seek was always an alternitive aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

mostly soccer, we used to play the class from nextdoor a lot. we got beaten about 17-0 every time. i remember walking around the yard crying 'coz i scored an own goal to put the others about 24-0 up...

"kiss cuddle or torture", all the lads always picked torture, the innocence of it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Soccer, Or Bulldogs. That game was brutal. You just picked someone smaller that you and made bits of them. until it was banned. Also we used to kick a ball against a wall (Squash i think) until my cousins head got caught between a football and a pebbledash wall.
    Hide n' go seek was always an alternitive aswell.
    Ah, the wonderful days of Newtown NS...
    I never remember Bulldogs being so brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Anyone remember 'forty forty'.
    One person stands at a drainpipe/tree/whatever and others have to try and tip it before the person can say 'forty forty I see -persons name-'.
    Great fun. Whoever got caught had to stay with the person and help them to catch. The one who got to the tree or whatever then freed all the trapped players - which was quite a buzz back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

"Queenio, Queenio, who's got the ball-io" - said this with yer back to everyone then throw a tennis ball over your shoulder and someone catches and hides it behind their back "I haven't got it, oh I haven't got it, oh I haven't got it at all-io" then you guess who has it.....so daft really.

Kiss / Chase
    Fourty, fourty also...
    Oranges and lemons
    hop-scotch
    Loads of skipping - London Bridge etc
    Tag ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭**elaine**

Larianne wrote:
    Elastics
    I loved them!! Such a fun game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

kick the can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Kick the Can/Tip the Can, 40-40 and Mob are all basicly the same game. But there are different versions of the rules. The way we play it the person who is on, stays at the "can" and they have to count to 40 while the rest of us go hide. They then have to walk around and look for us hiding.
    When you get a chance you have to try and get "home" before the person who is on. And we usualy just say "home" or 40-40 home. Only the last person not caught or home can "free all" and usualy they do that by tipping the can and shouting "Tip the can I free all" or "40-40 I free all". The person on then has to count again unless he was to catch the last person. Then whoever was caught first is on. On the third go of being "on", the first person caught is automaticaly on. To catch a person, the person "on" just needs to see where the person is hiding and then run to the can and say "40-40/tip the can, I see <person> <where the person is hiding/is right now>". If they are wrong then the person "caught" can shout False Alarm and then he/she gets 20seconds to go hide again.

Other games I played as a child were, Chase, Jail Chase, Bulldogs and Red Rover.

When my cousins are around during the summer holidays, and there cousins from Tipp and Waterford are also down for a week or two, then we usualy have big games of Bulldogs and Following. We usualy only play 40-40 when it is dark (more fun).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Off the ground tig once you were up on something you couldn't be made it. So many broken fences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All the games or playing handball aagaint the wall seem to be dying out, you hardly ever see kids ( ok it used to be mostly girls) playing that anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

"What time is it Mr.Wolf?"... yup some of the best years of my life:rolleyes: !

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Rounders - with a tennis racket/hurley.

Allies

Chessies

swapping Premier league 94 stickers

Kick s**T - everyone (at least 20 people) huddles together, closes their eyes and begins to kick and punch

Schoolyard football with the top of a coke bottle or a squashed can.

Organising fights

Stuck in the mud - class game. Whoever was on had to catch other people and when they were caught they had to stand with their legs open.They were free again if their buddy ran under their legs.This led to many a scraped knee and head-butted bol**ks, due to some lame ass "baesball" slide.

who could forget "rounders"..basically baseball :)

Advertisement