Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft 2019 Picks Thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Going to go for a keeper as well in this round, and while there are one or two left with more ability than this man, none of them can top his mix of longevity and excellence in distribution.

The Premier League Golden Glove winner for three seasons in a row, his first three in the league as well.
    134 clean sheets in the PL, the sixth most in the history of the league and acquiring them at a rate of just over 47%, a higher rate than any other goalkeeper in Premier League history who have amassed over 100 clean sheets.
    One of the best ball-playing goalkeepers before that style really became the norm in English football, he could pick out teammates with unerring accuracy, whether it’s a kick from the hands or off the ground.
    He’s also a capable penalty saver, and a great man to have in a penalty shootout when it comes down to it.

A fantastic goalkeeper and a leader from between the sticks, I’m happy to draft to my team....

pepe.jpg

Pepe Reina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I'm surprised based on some of his performances over the years this player hasn't been selected until now. Over 350 appearances 48 League goals, 69 assists a premier league winner. Fa Cup, League Cup and Europa League winner, a pacy tricky winger at his best and twice picked on the PFA team of the year

skysports-ashley-young-manchester-united-brighton_4166341.jpg?20171125194710

Ashley Young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

My next pick played for the late 90s early 00s Newcastle side where he was arguably at his best. One of the most under rated players IMO as he is an extremely hard worker while being productive from a goals and assists POV, my next pick Nobby Solano 49 goals and 62 assists in the premier league era for a wide man is a great return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Busy at the minute but I'm gonna go with Thibaut Courtois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Time to choose my LB now. This England international with 171 Premier League appearances is a two-time member of the PFA Team of the Season, and is one of only a handful of LBs to do it in back-to-back seasons (15-16 and 16-17). In this most recent season he played a significant part in the Tottenham side that reached an historic Champions League final. Pep Guardiola is also a big fan of his, describing him a few months ago as "an extraordinary player". He is...

TELEMMGLPICT000196501412_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqnj5f55R6XEVcLbfHVgP9-vEi38nb9f9N23qsv8eHXH8.jpeg?imwidth=450

...Danny Rose.

A player with great dribbling ability, who frequently ranks highly when it comes to successfully completed tackles. He will do very nicely in my team.

dq6idh9j64x21.gif

OGC Nice (Guys)

Pick #1: Frank Lampard
    Pick #2: Jaap Stam
    Pick #3: Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    Pick #4: Dietmar Hamann
    Pick #5: Arjen Robben
    Pick #6: Damien Duff
    Pick #7: Darren Fletcher
    Pick #8: Stephane Henchoz
    Pick #9: Steve Finnan
    Pick #10: Danny Rose

X

----Finnan
    Henchoz----Stam
    Rose----

Hamann

Fletcher
    Lampard (c)

Robben
    Van Nistelrooy
    Duff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lucas Digne.

I don't care if he's played 1 season or 10 he has qualities I want in a player.

I won't claim he is the best left back the premier league has ever seen but what he does do is create a lot of chances from left back.

71 he created last season the most ever in the premier league from a defender since opta starting keeping stats.

20+ more than Robertson & Taa.

It's one thing creating a chance for Everton's forward it's another when Torres is on the end of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was going to go for my keeper last round but good to see that this man is still available (unless I've missed his pick as I almost did Martyn :p ). Has maybe slowed down a bit the last year or 2 but in his first few seasons in the league he was playing at the very top level. Great shot stopper and good with his feet too.

Hugo Lloris

GettyImages-1134119553.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C429&ssl=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Time to pick my goalkeeper.

Not only a Premier League winner but an invincible!!
    Best keeper in Europe in 06 having gone over 10 games without conceding a goal.

Big game player

Leader

Jens Lehmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

My final is pick is someone that I have been tempted to pick for 5 rounds now and took the gamble each time so delighted to see it pay off. I think this fella is extraordinary value in round 11.

2 time premier league winner.
    3 times in the team of the year.
    A legend with 3 separate clubs.
    A key member of Leeds team the won the league.
    His best season with Blackburn was the year after they win won the league.
    A key member of the Newcastle team which challenged for the league twice getting into the toty while there.

A terrier, a ball winner with excellent distribution. The perfect player to hold my midfield and probably my most important pick.

David Batty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My final pick shores up the left side of my defence. I want my full backs to cover the sides of Alonso which would free up Butt to keep running and pressing. This man suits that. More than capable of getting forward but rock solid defensively too. Good corner taker too. Played many seasons early in the PL for Villa to a very high level before returning to Liverpool and Villa again.

Steve Staunton
    sport-football-pic-7th-february-1993-premier-league-steve-staunton-picture-id78976971

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Completing my team is Allison.

Another newcomer to the league but undoubtedly one of the best in the world nevermind the league.

21 clean sheets last season that has only been beaten once in the premier league. Champions league+ Copa America winner this year also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I complete my team with my goalkeeper pick and I'm delighted to get this fellow. I think it's fair to say that this keeper was well respected by all fans. On numerous occasions he seemed to be a one-man army.

He made over 450 Premier League appearances in total, earned 84 caps for his country, and was in the Team of the Year for 02-03. He is also the current holder of the Premier League record for most consecutive appearances (310).

He is...

14617-zoom.jpg

...Brad Friedel.

A goalkeeper that often produced the spectacular as in this clip below:

OGC Nice (Guys)

Pick #1: Frank Lampard
    Pick #2: Jaap Stam
    Pick #3: Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    Pick #4: Dietmar Hamann
    Pick #5: Arjen Robben
    Pick #6: Damien Duff
    Pick #7: Darren Fletcher
    Pick #8: Stephane Henchoz
    Pick #9: Steve Finnan
    Pick #10: Danny Rose
    Pick #11: Brad Friedel

Friedel

--Finnan---Henchoz----Stam
    Rose--

Hamann

Fletcher
    Lampard (c)--

Robben---Van Nistelrooy---Duff---

With Friedel in between the sticks my team has the strong spine I was hoping for, coupled with plenty of threat out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Last pick is Thomas Vermaelen. Was very unlucky with injuries but 3 of his first 4 seasons at Arsenal he was brilliant, particularly his first season. He was named in PFA team of the year as well during his time.

Left footed centre back who was comfortable on the ball and should slot in well alongside Vidic and rounds off my team.

Courtois‐
    Ivanovic - Vidic - Vermaelen - Le Saux
    Arteta
    Kante‐
    Ljungberg
    Gerrard
    Son
    Wright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Last pick and one I didn't think I'd get at this stage but had a good sustained period of performance to judge him on. He won the league cup, FA cup, premier league, Europa League and Champions League. He is a high energy, high performing box to box midfielder with an eye for both a tackle and for goal. Himself and Paddy V in the middle of the park will be tough to out muscle.

Ramires is my final pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭KBurke85

One last pick and it was tricker than I thought. Despite the Goalkeepers already selected I had 4 in mind that I would have been happy with any of them. The I have gone for has won the Premier League Golden Glove 4 times, Won 2 Premier League Titles, kept 127 clean sheets in 340 games and has twice been in the PFA team of the season. For a few years at his peak he was right up there with the top keepers in the league.

Joe-Hart-Wallpapers.jpg

Joe Hart

Team in Full

Hart
    Carr - Agger - Hypia - Irwin
    Makelele - McAllister
    Coutinho
    Salah - Young
    Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

For my last pick, I'll finally fill in my right back position and the player I want in there is a man with plenty or PL experience. Between Chelsea, Portsmouth, Liverpool and Stoke, he's amassed over 350 appearances in the Premier League, most of them playing at a high level. While his strength is going forward and overlapping with the winger, he's still a capable defender in the right system and will link up with former teammate Dirk Kuyt on the right hand side once more, a partnership that's proven to be successful at Premier League level. He'll also be well covered by McGrath on the right side of defence, offering him a tiny bit more freedom to attack.

For my final pick, I'm selecting Glen Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

For my last pick I'm going to pick a rock in the heart of the modern enough Arsenal defence, what he lacks in pace he made up in his impeccable reading of the game during his peak in the League, With the pace of Rio beside I think they will be perfect Foils. 3 time FA cup winner

53763293b8bc5_per.jpg

Per Mertesacker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Sorry was at the Open all day. Final pick is Richard Dunne, full right up to follow tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My final pick is a two time winner of the golden boot at two different clubs, Leeds and Chelsea.

127 goals and 58 assists overall in the league.

I think the key to getting the best from Ozil it to put good finishers in front of him and letting Ozil have the freedom to create for them. Well they don't come much more clinical than the two I have now.

Welcome to the club Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

005926E900000258-3068725-Hasselbaink_banged_in_the_goals_for_Chelsea_during_a_four_year_s-m-1_1430856871162.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Really did not expect this legend to fall to my last pick, especially on this forum. A Newcastle United and Ireland great with over 450 premier league appearances and on the list of most clean sheets in the leagues history. One of the best keepers in the league in his prime, shown by his appearance in the PFA team of the season twice. A keeper with excellent reflexes and a real leader in the backline. With my last pick in the 2019 Boards Draft I select the keeper out of Donegal, Ireland

005A2A8200000258-4992778-image-a-50_1508327055251.jpg

Shay Given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

With 684 career appearances winning 14 trophies, demonstrating versatility by playing at left-back, right-back, centre-back,central midfield....and goalkeeper :

John O' Shea

My team :

Van Der Sar

O' Shea - Pallister - Alderweireld
    Silva
    Riise

De Bruyne
    Barry

Okocha

Van Persie - Cantona

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

My next pick gives me a lot of pace, creativity and trickery to compliment my attack.

A consistent part and important performer of what was (imo) United's best team that made 3 Champions League finals, once Ronaldo left he really came out of his shadow and he had 2 consecutive seasons where he was absolutely superb for United.

He made the 2010-2011 PFA Team of the Year, and to be frank with 14 assists and 9 goals in 33 matches would have been a much more deserving winner of the Player of the Season award that season than Bale. United won the league that year, outscoring the rest of the league with 78 goals and he was a vital part of that attack.

Will play wide right, to give me that little more width and pace, but can also come inside and has a ferocious shot with both feet. Injuries caused him to lose form in his last couple of seasons, but at his peak he was one of the leagues most effective attacking players.

Rounding off my team, is Nani

56933.jpg

Final team:

485771.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So my last pick and to finish off my defence is

3 times premier league winner,
    Champions league winner,
    FA cup winner,

And an all round solid and classy defender he was a rock for man united alongside Stam on the treble winning season.

Welcome to my team of hard working winners

RONNY JOHNSON.

Screenshot-20190720-181203-Chrome.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

And finishing my team with a Premier League winner.

Blackburn legend.
    One of England's best goalkeepers for a decade.
    Could've played for Liverpool, but that was allegedly scuppered by Roy Keane of all people!

Tim Flowers

58b029d32b16d6bb80000001.jpg

Delighted with the team.

Flowers
    Petrescu Carvalho Carragher Pearce
    Cazorla Mascherano Dembele
    J.Cole Aguero Hazard

Advertisement