Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English speakers who have played abroad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Oh your were talking about Brady? That makes more sense!

There was a two-part episode of the podcast Golazzo in March about Trap (for his 80th birthday). One of the lads was saying that he’s really hard to follow even in Italian so you might not be too far off the mark!

In the videos posted earlier, Beckham’s Spanish is embarrassing after four years at Real. At least Aldridge made an effort, but his Spanish is actually pretty poor in that clip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The common denominator between Bale, Tevez and Beckham is that none of them appear to be the sharpest tools in the box.

Certainly in the case of Beckham and Tevez. I followed Bale’s career closely when he was at Spurs and I’m surprised at him. I thought he was better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Kevin Keegan still speaks some German from his time at HSV in the 70s. I'm sure he rarely uses it so it's quite impressive to still remember after a few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Certainly in the case of Beckham and Tevez. I followed Bale’s career closely when he was at Spurs and I’m surprised at him. I thought he was better than that.

Bale is a typical example of a player going to a foreign country and bringing family and friends with him. He goes to training and then home and has minimal contact with the actual country and it's people. Neymar is another example in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Here's a video from March this year - almost 6 years since Bale signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Italians for example don’t have great culture of learning languages.
    What are you basing that statement on?

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    What are you basing that statement on?

The fact that most of them don’t speak a second language. Not necessarily directed at footballers playing abroad. Vialli and Zola learned to speak very well having arrived without a word of English.

When Christian Vieri played for Atlético Madrid, I remember reading that he refused to learn Spanish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The fact that most of them don’t speak a second language. Not necessarily directed at footballers playing abroad. Vialli and Zola learned to speak very well having arrived without a word of English.

When Christian Vieri played for Atlético Madrid, I remember reading that he refused to learn Spanish.

That would be the Christian Vieri who grew up in Australia and can speak fluent English and Italian? Not really a great example to prove your point.

• Advertisement

That would be the Christian Vieri who grew up in Australia and can speak fluent English and Italian? Not really a great example to prove your point.

It wasn’t meant to be. I was commenting on his refusal to learn Spanish, not on his ability to speak English or Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Aguero is perfectly happy to chat with fans in English and it's definitely not bad, so the interpreters at interviews must be due to him not trusting the English media. Not so sure about Tevez though, I don't think he ever managed to get past the absolute basics.

In general, people in other countries do appreciatem it if someone makes an effort to at least learn some of the local language, and it really doesn't have to be perfect. On the other hand, someone living there for 6 years and cannot be bothered, like Bale, that tends to go down like a lead balloon. It is utterly disrespectful.

I met tevez at a fans forum years ago and he had no problem understanding and answering questions in English with no translator. It was by no means perfect but all things considered was ok.

I reckon bale knows spanish but couldnt b arsed with the Madrid media. Tough bunch at the best of times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It wasn’t meant to be. I was commenting on his refusal to learn Spanish, not on his ability to speak English or Italian.

You were talking about Italians noting leaning a second language and you used a bilingual Italian as an example.

You were talking about Italians noting leaning a second language and you used a bilingual Italian as an example.

I used Vieri as an example of an Italian who played abroad and refused to learn the language of the country he was playing in. This (according to reports at the time) is correct. Speaking English and Italian doesn’t change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Joey Barton and Steve McClaren faux accents are quite normal. The process of aligning your accent with your interlocutors is known as accent accommodation.

I only realised this when I moved abroad. I found myself talking with a weirdly Korean accent. I still do it when talking to Colombians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

The fact that most of them don’t speak a second language.
    But English is taught to almost every school student in Italy.

• Advertisement

Not to a high level. What I said was that Italy does not have a culture of learning languages. I’ll try to clarify this so I’m not derailing this thread. What I meant by a culture of learning languages, is that most people speak at least one other language to a high level as they do in the Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands. Italy does not have this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

To clear up on the Italians, according to a special Eurobarometer report on languages in the EU, 38% of people in Italy could hold a conversation in a second language, 40% of people in Ireland could do the same which is 1 point better than the UK. The EU average is 54%. The top three second languages in the EU are English 38%, French 12% and German 11%. Within Ireland it's Irish 22%, French 17% and English 6%.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

English is taught in most countries around the world. That doesn't mean they will speak it very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

To clear up on the Italians, according to a special Eurobarometer report on languages in the EU, 38% of people in Italy could hold a conversation in a second language, 40% of people in Ireland could do the same which is 1 point better than the UK. The EU average is 54%. The top three second languages in the EU are English 38%, French 12% and German 11%. Within Ireland it's Irish 22%, French 17% and English 6%.

I wouldnt trust those self reporting surveys when it comes to languages, people always overestimate how good they are with many saying they are fluent even though they havent spoken it since school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Not to a high level. What I said was that Italy does not have a culture of learning languages. I’ll try to clarify this so I’m not derailing this thread. What I meant by a culture of learning languages, is that most people speak at least one other language to a high level as they do in the Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands. Italy does not have this.

Scandi's are good at English. The languages are close. But I wouldn't say they're are good at languages. There's been steep fall-off in third language acquisition.

Reckon Italians can bluff their way into ok romance languages. Just cause we don't hear them speak great English, doesn't mean they're bad at languages. Just cause Scandi's are good at English, doesn't mean they're good at languages per se. They just speak, as a second language, the only one most English speakers understand. They're good at the lingua franca of the world, not languages.

• Advertisement

ush wrote: »
    Scandi's are good at English. The languages are close. But I wouldn't say they're are good at languages. There's been steep fall-off in third language acquisition.

Reckon Italians can bluff their way into ok romance languages. Just cause we don't hear them speak great English, doesn't mean they're bad at languages. Just cause Scandi's are good at English, doesn't mean they're good at languages per se. They just speak, as a second language, the only one most English speakers understand. They're good at the lingua franca of the world, not languages.

I don’t mean that they are good or bad at languages as such, just if there is a culture of learning languages. A lot of older Italians speak dialects as well as Italian, but that’s not the same as learning a foreign language. For Scandinavians and Dutch it’s easier to learn English than it is for Italians because as you rightly said the languages are close. You’re also right when you say they could learn Romance languages easily. Most of them however, don’t bother as they don’t need to. Unless maybe you live in Madrid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ush wrote: »

And on how many other languages than English do you base this on?

Of all the people coming to The Netherlands, The Scandanavians (to be fait, Scandis minus the Finnish) are the ones that speak Dutch the fastest and the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Phil Babb had 2 seasons and a decent run of games in Portugal, I wonder did he pick any up.
    Paul Lambert has decent German too.

There was an interesting point i heard recently. In rugby Joe Worsley is an ex England player that was/is living in France, he started getting punditry gigs and it was noticed that his English was very clipped. Like he was trying to speak English as a Frenchman. He said he wasnt giving himself enough time to acclimitise back into English, often flying in the night before and going to the game so he came a few days earlier to fall back into old habits.

I'm sure Aguero has an ok level of English and I don't blame him for not speaking English when the media will jump on anything thats left unclear. Torres didnt interview for ages in English despite it being known that he was getting on fine, similar with Pochettino. Its hard to blame them really. Geoff Shreeves' incident with Lacazette wouldn't do much to convince players to give it a go either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

razorblunt wrote: »

I'm sure Aguero has an ok level of English and I don't blame him for not speaking English when the media will jump on anything thats left unclear. Torres didnt interview for ages in English despite it being known that he was getting on fine, similar with Pochettino. Its hard to blame them really. Geoff Shreeves' incident with Lacazette wouldn't do much to convince players to give it a go either.

This is a really really good interview with Hernan Crespo. For somebody who didn't spend long in England (a lot less than Aguero!), his English surprised me

8-10 wrote: »
    This is a really really good interview with Hernan Crespo. For somebody who didn't spend long in England (a lot less than Aguero!), his English surprised me

Surprised me too. He also speaks Italian very well. Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles (brutal accent apart) learned English well back in day. In the Maradona documentary film you can hear that he seems to speak good Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Surprised me too. He also speaks Italian very well. Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles (brutal accent apart) learned English well back in day. In the Maradona documentary film you can hear that he seems to speak good Italian.

It was probably important for his cocaine negotiations (allegedly) . I do like Maradona though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

ush wrote:

"F*** Off Norway" (Paul Gascoigne, Polyglot 1996).

chicorytip wrote: »
    "F*** Off Norway" (Paul Gascoigne, Polyglot 1996).

You of little faith.

https://youtu.be/KNqRXb4IyJE

I have to admit I searched for this more in hope than expectation. He is by no means fluent, but you know what he’s saying. And remember it’s 20 years after he played in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Julio Geordio springs to mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Larry Bee

There is an interesting article here on why Pochettino insisted on using an interepter when dealing with the press on England.
    https://www.football365.com/news/pochettino-ego-and-the-need-for-an-interpreter

• Advertisement
Advertisement