Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT failure shopping list

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I can only take no comments so far as a good thing :pac:. I'm going to try and get next day delivery, so if I'm being obviously stupid with something, feel free to point it out before I push the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wouldn't order parts unless I was sure what needed replacing, especially as some aren't obvious. You'd be better off just getting the mechanic to physically inspect the car and order what's needed, as those kinds of parts should be easy to identify if they're on the way out.

Mick's Garage are not the most reliable either, many issues with receiving incorrect parts. I generally don't see the point in ordering parts yourself unless it's something particularly unusual, you want a particular manufacturer, etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just as a followup to this, turns out I missed the order deadline, so just left it with my mechanic. He agreed that the steering linkage was the one to watch for and unfortunately after he stripped it down, said that it was the steering column which was the issue. He didn't want a cent from me for his time on it, so that softened the blow, but I still passed him a few quid, sound fella.

So it's been a true bangeronomics car for me, purchased in 2012 for €1,800 and has served me well, but will now be retired. Time to start trawling the bangeronomics thread for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭jmreire

For stuff like engine oils and filter's, I would go online to pick up the best, quality and price wise, but for a list like your's, I would prefer to have all the part's in my hand, and take them to the local factor's. That way, you can match them to their replacement's, and be sure that they will fit. As you have discovered, there is a side benefit to doing it this way too. You find exactly what is needed, instead of an NCT list ( which it has to be said, is normally on the ball) .

Advertisement