Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto gearbox question

Options
  • 10-07-2019 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

In an automatic gearbox when you put it in park what's holding the car from moving down a hill. Will park always hold the car or do you still need to put on the handbrake on a hill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

When its in 'P' it the car should not be able to move with or without the handbrake.
    As my understanding goes when you put it in P you are locking the gearbox on a toothed gear that cannot move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have driven Automatics with the last 12-13 years and I always apply the handbrake except when it is in my own driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

koutoubia wrote: »
    When its in 'P' it the car should not be able to move with or without the handbrake.
    As my understanding goes when you put it in P you are locking the gearbox on a toothed gear that cannot move.

Use the handbrake, it's only a little pawl - probably made out of some form of chocolate like everything else

bAeaDLL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you're not on flat surface add the handbrake, as shown it's just a small thing holding it in gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Just get into the habit of doing both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

xabi wrote: »
    Just get into the habit of doing both
    I disagree, and it's prob offtopic, but there have been X amount of threads here with people parking for extended periods with handbrake on and then having problems with the handbrake sticking (rust in summer and ice in winter).
    Myself, I only add handbrake when car is not on flat surface. That's me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

That's different, i'm sure he's talking about everyday use. For me its an automatic process, I dont think, just do what I always do when parking the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

biko wrote: »
    I disagree, and it's prob offtopic, but there have been X amount of threads here with people parking for extended periods with handbrake on and then having problems with the handbrake sticking (rust in summer and ice in winter).
    Myself, I only add handbrake when car is not on flat surface. That's me though.

Use the hand brake regularly - every time you park - you won't have issues. Use it occasionally - it will seize.

Advertisement