Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat brake fluid warning.

Options
  • 08-07-2019 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

I was at a petrol station counter when a woman with a bottle if brake fluid in her hand asked me did I know where the brake fluid went in a car. She said the warning light was on. I went out with her and opened the reservoir and the fluid was up to the max line. I suggested it may be worn pads but she showed me the dash and there was also a "Brake Fluid" message on a panel in the middle of the speedo. I felt the brake and there was a good pedal and she'd found no loss in braking. I told her to see a mechanic straight away.

Just looking to satisfy my own curiosity. Has abybody ever come across this.

It was an 08 cinquecento (sp?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Front pads have a wire sensor which might have broken or pads are worn down and maybe someone had topped up fluid lately.Your right to have checked fluid and to advise a visit to garage for a check.

People should know their basic guide of how to look after their car and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

greasepalm wrote: »
    Front pads have a wire sensor which might have broken or pads are worn down and maybe someone had topped up fluid lately.Your right to have checked fluid and to advise a visit to garage for a check.

She'd only bought the car and didn't even know where the bonnet prop was. I remarked there was a lot of moss o the widow rubber and other crevices. She said it had been idle for some time before she bought it. Maybe the fluid had lost its properties. Not a thing I'd be familiar with.

My daughter is doing her test on Thursday. I learned today that as part of the test she has to point out the BF and coolant reservoirs along with the oil filler cap and dipstick. Only for it was raining this evening I'd have shown her how to change a wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Brake fluid can lose its property and hold moisture and one reason why dealers want to change it every number of years and charge big money.
    I do hope you have an extendable wheel brace to help loosen wheel nuts and a 4lb sledge to remove wheels seized on stub axle.last week i could not open wheel nuts with impact gun and had a 2 foot snap on bar with a 6 foot bar on top to crack them open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If it's the red brake warning light on the dashboard, it's not going to be the pads (there's a different light for those if there are sensors, usually amber). The red light (assuming the message means it's not related to the handbrake) means there's a problem with brake pressure - either a leak, low fluid, maybe some vacuum/servo failure, or the brake pressure switch (what activates the light) has failed. Older cars often had a way of testing the switch but I guess that's not important any more :confused:

If there was an issue with brake pressure it might have felt fine initially, but braking hard multiple times could have led to the pedal dropping to the floor.

Advertisement