Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else getting these texts?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

That would be my reasonable guess as to where the numbers are coming from.

Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Thanos wrote: »
    Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?

I havent gotten any of these txts, and yet, my number is very public and out there everywhere. At least one of them anyway.

I recon thats what it is. It is TOTALLY random, but once you get one txt ur number is listed as a number in use and then they all keep sending you. The first message you get is totally random. They dont need to go through any donedeal ads or anything. It is easy to come up with random numbers one u know they all start with 085, 086, 087, 089 and so on. U just make up 7 numbers after that, chances are they hit home every now and then and if the txt goes through u keep a list of these numbers and keep sending to same ones plus list is growing every day.

Going through any ads or trying to "find" numbers in internet would be too much hassle for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

That would be my reasonable guess as to where the numbers are coming from.
    Thanos wrote: »

Not impossible. Your number could be in someone else's contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Yeah, I got one about 2 weeks ago from an American number saying ''CONGRATULATIONS! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hours.''

Then I got another text from an English number yesterday saying ''CONGRATS! YOUR MOBILE NUMBER HAS WON $2,000,000 USD IN THE FREELOTTO MOBILE PROMO. FOR CLAIMS SEND MAIL WITH NAME TO claimsfunds@live.co.uk & CALL +447045750703.''

Wouldn't mind but you'd think they'd pick a more realistic amount rather than 2 million dollars, and their e-mail address is a hotmail address, what sort of lotto company has a hotmail address? Haha, I really wonder if anybody is dumb enough to fall for these things. I don't know where they'd have gotten my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Alice1

Yep, got one yesterday - the BBC one. Janey, it was a bit obvious like - even my daughter said "you couldn't have won, Mummy cos you didn't enter any draw"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Yeah got one this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Judging by all the replies on here I wouldn't want to have the scammers phone bills!! I got 2 txts ,one telling me I won £1,000,000 and the other $2,000,000. Both from english numbers. Someone has to fall for this ****e or it wouldn't be worth their while surely? Ask Joe probably has a special lined up on this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

got the free lotto one yesterday (uk mobile) and a microsoft uk promo one this morning (USA, dallas) and one from the "free lotto uk" last week (uk mobile)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

I had never received anything like this on my phone but I got 2 of them in the last 3 days.
    Very careful with my number usually, I only ever give it where there is a genuine possibility that it'll be needed - like for Tesco online shopping if they can't find my house. Or Aerlingus or Ryanair - I've probably given it to them as well. I always just put in random numbers otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

derb12 wrote: »
    I had never received anything like this on my phone but I got 2 of them in the last 3 days.
    Very careful with my number usually, I only ever give it where there is a genuine possibility that it'll be needed - like for Tesco online shopping if they can't find my house. Or Aerlingus or Ryanair - I've probably given it to them as well. I always just put in random numbers otherwise.

I'm curious to know how they are getting peoples phone numbers too.
    Some people reckon they are just sending texts to random numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭eaglebhoy

I got a text message over the weekend saying I have won $2,500,000, I just deleted it immediately, love to know how the f**kers got my number though ! I'm very careful with my info and contacts !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Just got one now from +19163845594

You are Irelands's winner :D

apple.ie.agiveaway.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I got similar texts like that before and just delete them they just spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

This post has been deleted.

The phone numbers are auto-generated by the spammers, i'd say. They definitely auto-generate email addresses. Mobile numbers would be far easier, as they know the first 3 digits and the total number of digits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Must be the new scam.
    My mate got this text today:

"you are ireland's winner. Your number has been chosen to recieve a free gift. Go to www..... " and then gives a link to goto. Seemingly apple.ie address. But it doesnt have an forward slash in its url (eg, www.apple.ie.contest etc)

Mate got exactly the same text the other day but said Sony instead of Apple :pac: Thought i'd share with boards. Is anyone else getting these?

Just got 6 texts in 60 minutes with the same content. When I Googled the number it said it's registered in Atlanta, Georgia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Just got the Apple text.I dont have a smart phone,must be from Donedeal ads I put up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 badspealler

Just got this one myself (Ireland's winner blab blah bullsh*£). :mad:

Website ip looks like its based in Panama, which strangely enough isn't anywhere near Apple HQ in Cupertino, California... :eek:

If only it had been a much sought after win on the Nigerian lotto... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I just claimed my million off them. Koolio.

Advertisement