Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Garden Aspect Make much difference?

Options
  • 25-06-2020 4:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

I'm in the process of searching for a house and had been set all along on a house with a South Facing back garden. Our current house has a south facing garden and we have the sun all day long. We don't work traditional 9-5 jobs and would spend a lot of time in the garden.

I've been told that a North Facing garden will get no sun unless its very long, how true is this? We found a house that would be perfect except it has a North facing garden. Its a semi d so we will have houses either side.

So how important is aspect for getting some sun out the back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

Dylan94 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of searching for a house and had been set all along on a house with a South Facing back garden. Our current house has a south facing garden and we have the sun all day long. We don't work traditional 9-5 jobs and would spend a lot of time in the garden.

I've been told that a North Facing garden will get no sun unless its very long, how true is this? We found a house that would be perfect except it has a North facing garden. Its a semi d so we will have houses either side.

So how important is aspect for getting some sun out the back?

Compare the front and back garden of your current house to see.

Personally I would say its important, but not a deal breaker. It's quite common for people with north facing rears to set up patio areas at the back of the garden. If you can see that fitting your needs then go for it. Obviously it also means you won't ever really get sun into your back room / kitchen.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aspect is only one factor. You have to also look at what’s around you. Are there houses thatll block sun, walls, tall trees etc.

We are north facing, we get sun in the majority of the garden all day until about 7:30pm. The house behind us is south facing obviously, but they lose the sun at the same time.

The only thing is that the area right outside your back door will be in shade, so you may prefer to put your patio at the far end of the garden. And rooms at the back of the house don’t get direct sunlight.

You will never have the sun coming in the windows at the back of your house.
    If you're garden is long enough & open enough, you might have sum down the end.
    I'm currently in a north facing back house & I will never buy one.
    Some people don't mind, I love the sun getting in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

The Sun not coming into the back windows wouldn't bother us too much. All we really want is that there is an area of the garden where we could sit in the sun for most of the day.

I think I will try sitting in my own front garden on the next Sunny day to see how it works out.

Why don't you go to see it again in the evening time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

It is incredibly important who wants to sit in their front garden and have a few beers or a bbq? Best gardens face west south west or south. I would never buy a house with back garden with north or east aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I wanted a big garden when i was buying and preferably south or west facing but i actually ended up buying a big north east facing garden. It mostly faces north.

In the summer, i get sun in every spot of the garden except right outside the back door. It's actually perfect because i couldn't in the sun all day long. I have a few seating areas but my favourite is the patio outside the door where i can sit in the shade and enjoy watching the wildlife.

In a south facing garden, i think the heat must be unbearable inside in the summer. It must feel like a greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The house I'm in now is East-North-East front facing. Sun in the morning, sun in the evening. Flowers front and back. If I'm looking out the back, the sun would usually set at my two o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

We’re having a similar dilemma, currently in west facing and it’s great for evening sun.

Looking at south east and not sure to take the gamble or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

We made sure we had a south facing garden
    My wife is off work for the 3 months of the summer and love to sit in the sun most days
    Its nice to have meals outdoors in this weather
    You can get coated glass for the windows that stops the sun getting in and making the house too hot
    You can get a coating on the inside to reflect the heat back in ,but most modern high end windows have this now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

I have due South aspect and paid a premium for it. Everyone advised you need a South facing garden. I would actually prefer a bit more west facing! That evening sun is so important. Sun sets for me by 730 ish and would love an extra hour. South West obviously ideal. Personally, I wouldn't consider anything north or east. Having a sunny back garden for bbq, beers, a nice coffee at breakfast etc. is the single best thing about having a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Makes a huge differance.

South facing you'll usually have sun all day. This helps with drying clothes, relaxing in the garden and having the sun come into the most used areas of the house.

I would never buy a house that was not south facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

For some people (myself included) it would be a straight no and some don’t mind. Personally I have decided not to purchase houses due to north facing gardens. And I had actually put a similar query on boards.

I’m currently in a rented house with a east facing back garden. I had to work in an office during lockdown so when we had the gorgeous weather, when I came home the sun was all in the front so couldn’t enjoy it as much (at least the kitchen faces the front so I get the sun). So I don’t think if even go with an east back garden now.

But just because a house is south facing back garden doesn’t meant you’ll get sun either - you have to look what’s around you. If the houses to the back of you etc are higher up, it can block sun. Or if your garden is small, you may not get sun etc.

If you don’t mind not having sun onto the windows and the north facing garden is long and overlooked that you could create a patio at the end of the garden then you could consider it. My parents house is south facing and a sun trap - I took that for granted growing up.

My first preference is west though since I would have sun later in the evening. Then south. I wouldn’t consider anything else. And I would pay extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Rear of my house faces WSW and in summer from 1pm to sunset you can sit out and bask. In winter and spring, the sun heats the back rooms and the front rooms are noticeable cooler. I'd be slow to get anything but south or west rear aspect when it comes time to trade up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

So would I be right in saying that

South West is the preferred option,
    Then South

Then West Facing is okay as a compromise?

Then North and East are no gos?

I cant visit and check directly as its a new build which hasn't been built.

Then South

Site map will help if you now which number you are buying
    If you have not put a deposit down yet check out the site map and take a note of which houses have a southwest or south facing back garden
    Then when bookings are been taken you can go with a list of your preferred houses
    Houses with south facing gardens tend to be a bit dearer even in new estates as builders will squeeze every penny out of buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I'm wondering this too! I went to view a house today, I think the back garden is north-east facing, the sun was in it when I was standing out there.

If it's mostly fine during the summer but the sun doesn't really reach there at other times, I could live with that.

Shelga wrote: »
    I'm wondering this too! I went to view a house today, I think the back garden is north-east facing, the sun was in it when I was standing out there.

If it's mostly fine during the summer but the sun doesn't really reach there at other times, I could live with that.
    In the winter you want the morning sun

Then South

That would be my preference. Some would pick south first but if your a 9-5 job, west could be better.

I turned down a new build as it had a north east aspect. The houses were on a slope so we would had been overlooked also. I’ll admit at the start I was clueless about it but I had an engineer look at the site layout map beforehand to advise me on the aspect. He was able to tell me what others would have been better but they weren’t available.

New build gardens are on the small side and estates tend to be more closer together so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Then South

Personally I think SW is probably best. If the house has a straight up back wall as in no kitchen sticking out or conservatory then N might be a pain however with a bit of an extension it gives a bit of an angle to get more direct sun in, mid summer when the sun is high wouldn’t be too bad but I’d think March/April And late August into September you might Catch a bit of extra shade. I lived in a N facing before and it’s not ideal but really it depends how much, little or how you use the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

I mean for those taking a hard line - it's fair enough if its your number 1 priority, but the fact is in most cases, you are paying a premium for the privilege. I would personally prefer a West or South West facing garden, and I check for every house I look at, but it's not a deal breaker at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Like the poster above, I’ve rented north facing in the past and I’d never buy anything with a north facing garden. It depends on your personal priorities and preferences obviously but if you enjoy sitting a lot then I would definitely think twice.

We’re west facing now and get sun from about 10am through to sunset. It’s a suntrap which suits us perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Fair question though as to what it's worth? Everything has a price. 10% seems reasonable to me. I would pay 50K premium on a 500K house. Beyond that, it becomes very hard to justify. Does anyone know what the price differential is for identical new builds with North versus South orientation?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Have a west (slight south) facing garden, and I think it is great, especially in summer.
    Here's a good page to see the impact of the sun: https://www.suncalc.org/

WSW would probably be perfect, IMO, as you get a bit more sun in winter.

DM1983 wrote: »
    Fair question though as to what it's worth? Everything has a price. 10% seems reasonable to me. I would pay 50K premium on a 500K house. Beyond that, it becomes very hard to justify. Does anyone know what the price differential is for identical new builds with North versus South orientation?

Estate we looked in Cork had a premium of 10k for a south facing garden. All sold. 300k ish Mark was the house. However south facing in new builds you still would need to look at what’s around to ensure your not overlooked.

The west ones weren’t extra but due to the slope they were lower down so overlooked by the houses to the back and the gardens were small

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I wanted a big garden when i was buying and preferably south or west facing but i actually ended up buying a big north east facing garden. It mostly faces north.

In the summer, i get sun in every spot of the garden except right outside the back door. It's actually perfect because i couldn't in the sun all day long. I have a few seating areas but my favourite is the patio outside the door where i can sit in the shade and enjoy watching the wildlife.

In a south facing garden, i think the heat must be unbearable inside in the summer. It must feel like a greenhouse.

Yea same, there appears to be a misconception on here that a house with a garden that orientates anything other than south or west is not going to get sun. I had the same view tbh, was nervous when we bought our house.

From spring right through to mid-late September we get sun in almost the entire garden all day. The only bit that doesn't get sun is the first ~10 feet outside the backdoor. We are only a few degrees off true north.

Have our breakfast in the sun and our dinner in the sun, no problem.

South West is the preference, but north is not as bad as made out. It really varies quite significantly on the individual house as I said before. You could have the perfect aspect but still get feck all sun.

North gets all the bad press, but east is the worst IMO. You'll have a lovely sunny morning but you're going to lose the sun very early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

We have an east facing rear garden and it is lovely to have breakfast in the sun. Sun stays in it until about 4.30pm.

I often notice in Ireland it can be sunny in the morning before becoming overcast in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

DM1983 wrote: »
    It's difficult to put a worth to it. For me it's a deal-breaker, I would be prepared to pay 10-15k more to have a house with a south facing garden 100%.

I'm in the process of buying/selling at the moment. Our current house has a south facing garden, so any of the houses we are looking at are automatically disqualified if they are not south/west facing. Even if I was to get a real bargain I wouldn't take it. This is the last house I'll ever buy so I need to be happy with it.

Sitting out in your back garden with the fresh air and tiny bit of sun we get is priceless in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If theres a slope, it can be a huge factor. Our friends north facing garden gets a lot of sun and I wouldn't regard it as overly steep, a few steps at the bottom help.

I would and did pick west over south facing for the main reason being the late evening sun. It's a joy to sit out with a nice glass after the kids have been tucked away. The only "downside" is that the rear bedrooms are very very hot in the summer evenings. Added bonus for us is in front bedroom is waking up to glorious sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Surely if rear of house is south facing then that would mean no direct sun into the front rooms of the house, i.e. the sitting room where the most time would be spent? Or am I missing something here?

From what I can see if it's a house on a large site then having the front of the house face south/sw is ideal as you will still get direct sun into the main rooms and also sun in the garden.

Advertisement