Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half price fish & chips - Wednesday 22 May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

F...me, only one co Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stilton748

My local chipper usually has lines out the door and they give a scabby portion of chips every year, you get what you pay for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Stilton748 wrote: »
    My local chipper usually has lines out the door and they give a scabby portion of chips every year, you get what you pay for.

Scabby chipper!
    Our locals give the same portion as all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

queues are savage and the chipper struggles to throw out the fod fast enough.

still who doesnt love a smoked cod n chips midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Glebee

Let the madness commence..... Its like the end of the world in my local chipper, you would think that nobody had fish and chips before..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

...for National Fish & Chips day

Find your local participating chipper at http://www.itica.ie/chipper_directory

where did you see this advertised? I was searching a few days ago and saw nothing about it this year. It is should be on that date if it was going ahead but I have seen nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/irish.traditional.italian.chippers.association/

http://www.itica.ie/news

Many chippers left the ITICA (the list used to be way bigger) and I guess many were pissed off about being forced into taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

rubadub wrote: »
    where did you see this advertised? I was searching a few days ago and saw nothing about it this year. It is should be on that date if it was going ahead but I have seen nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/irish.traditional.italian.chippers.association/

http://www.itica.ie/news

Many chippers left the ITICA (the list used to be way bigger) and I guess many were pissed off about being forced into taking part.

Whopper queues and the fish is usually sitting there a good while so the batter has gone soggy. I'll be giving it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Davexirl wrote: »
    Whopper queues and the fish is usually sitting there a good while so the batter has gone soggy. I'll be giving it a miss.

Don't think Burger King are involved... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Davexirl wrote: »

nah the fish are sold as fast as they can cook it.

the problem is they are taking it out of the fryer too soon, to get the next batch on! same with the chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Some people are never happy. :rolleyes:

Cheaper food - complain.
    Food pricing goes up - complain

It may not be to your liking or michelin standards just dont buy it/ eat it or whinge about it.

• Advertisement

Half price for a half portion .
    feck that

Half price for a half portion .
    feck that
    name your chipper if they are bad. But I still don't think it is happening this year.

I made a list of the usual stuff last year. They kept quiet then so it might still be announced last minute to lower the amount availing.
    They seem to be keeping quiet about it this year. No real need to spend money advertising, I expect some chippers have asked to keep it quiet as some seem unwilling to do it.

a FAQ to stop some of the same old same old...

Do all chippers take part?
    No, those who are paid up members of the ITICA are supposed to take part. I know some are no longer doing half price, but reduced price "deals". Also some non ITICA members will take part, nothing to stop them. Check facebook or twitter to see what your local is doing, or if it is even still open.

http://www.itica.ie/chipper_directory

Is it only fish & chips?
    This is up to the chipper, some might only do some fish n chips, might be the more expensive fish only, e.g. not include "cod portions". Some do all food half price. Some might do all food only if all the fish runs out. One near me ran the offer the next day as they presumably had so much fish left over.

Will portions be tiny?
    You can check previous years threads, some allegedly are, mine were all decent (trying probably 4 different ones, some a few times), or a small bit less than what I would be pleased with at full price, but I was never disappointed. I think some exaggerate, rare to see photos to back it up. I reckon those chippers with facebook or twitter pages would be more scared of bad publicity.

Remember chippers charge a more reasonable price than other takeaways. e.g. with pizza places, especially the "junk mail" places then half price IS the normal and reasonable price. If I got a half price pizza and thought they skimped a bit I would be well more pissed off than a chipper doing it. Most chippers who sell pizza are already at half the price of the junk mail pizza places.

Will queues be big?
    Can be, again check old threads. Can depend on the time. Several chippers near me have closed (for good) in recent years, so others in the area might be jammed. I would only bother trying about 12pm when many open but many people are not on lunch hour yet. Madness to see some queue for an hour or more at 5pm to save a few euro.

for anybody interested

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Much shorter list than previous years, I remember Rio's, Luigi's and Enzo's used to be on the list now the only one in the county is Mac Aris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

And not a real cod in any of them. Chinese and Italians serving up pure ****e and the nation laps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Did anyone get half price F&C yesterday?? Was promo on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'll be going Tuesday so as it's extra quiet with everyone waiting to queue up on Wednesday.

Did anyone get half price F&C yesterday?? Was promo on??
    Its next week

Pollock and chips please... does not have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'll be going Tuesday so as it's extra quiet with everyone waiting to queue up on Wednesday.

Its like a food drop in the Sudan in Kildare.

Waste of time trying to Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    F...me, only one co Wexford.

None for me in Kerry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

None in Galway either it seems.

Hoboo wrote: »
    And not a real cod in any of them.
    there is, they did DNA analysis before, result was fresh cod was likely cod and smoked cod was likely not.

Anyway as I said before there is no reports that this is happening. I asked the OP where htey heard it and there is no reply yet. They could well announce it last minute but do not go planning around it until then.

EDIT: found an ad saying it is happening! see further down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

there is, they did DNA analysis before, result was fresh cod was likely cod and smoked cod was likely not.

Anyway as I said before there is no reports that this is happening. I asked the OP where htey heard it and there is no reply yet. They could well announce it last minute but do not go planning around it until then.

Hey, sorry I was the OP.

A local councillor put it on their Facebook (bizarre I know). No source so hopefully it is not a false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Hey, sorry I was the OP.

A local councillor put it on their Facebook (bizarre I know). No source so hopefully it is not a false alarm.

Politicians aren't known for lying and Facebook is the best source of real news in the world after all

Found more posts so seems legit!!

Sorrento takeaway cobh
    17 hrs ·
    ��LOOK WHAT’S BACK��

National Fish and Chips day returns Wednesday 22nd May 2019!

60223436_2310806915846750_3036806826214555648_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=20139062ae03b3396f57a0c81bb5af9a&oe=5D6FC0DB

Still not on the ITICA site. Less advertising should mean smaller queues, they are not too bad around my locals in recent years.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

What's the connection with the Côte d'Ivoire..?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

They serve fish and chips in my work canteen every year on national fish and chips day but charge full price confused.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Billy Mays wrote: »
    They serve fish and chips in my work canteen every year on national fish and chips day but charge full price confused.png

Is your canteen associated with The Irish Traditional Italian Chipper Association ?? If not, thats probably why :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Found more posts so seems legit!!

Sorrento takeaway cobh
    17 hrs ·
    ��LOOK WHAT’S BACK��

Thats the actual amount of chips the chippers give aswel on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Aw my local aren't on the list, they usually do it. I'll have to venture further afield

Advertisement