Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3D Films

Options
  • 03-03-2011 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Well Yasterday i got my 3D tv and can i say there something else

Well my 1st 3d blu ray to look at was resident evil afterlife the film was not the greatist but the 3D on it was something else and really made you fell like your in the film.

Also i have played Killzone 3 demo in 3D and can i say that was something else you really fell that your on the battle feld and you can see everything like the snow bullets comeing at you it was like you where in a war

Anyway guys who else has a 3D tv and enjoyed every moment of it and not giveing out about how much a waste of money it was ?

Also the PS3 in some Hub for playing everything

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Well Yasterday i got my 3D tv and can i say there something else

Well my 1st 3d blu ray to look at was resident evil afterlife the film was not the greatist but the 3D on it was something else and really made you fell like your in the film.

Also i have played Killzone 3 demo in 3D and can i say that was something else you really fell that your on the battle feld and you can see everything like the snow bullets comeing at you it was like you where in a war

Anyway guys who else has a 3D tv and enjoyed every moment of it and not giveing out about how much a waste of money it was ?

Also the PS3 in some Hub for playing everything

How much money do you actually waste on it if you don't mind me asking? :pac:

I find nothing creative or enjoyable about 3D.
    It exists as a pitiful attempt to head off piracy and force audiences to watch films in overpriced multiplexes or on overpriced TV's IMO.

I think if you generally enjoy it then more power to ya but I personally can't stand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My new tv was only 800 euro with one pair of glasses any you get 4 free blu rays via mail in with it to and one of them is avater

Also a year and 1/2 ago my dad paid 850 euros for his Full HD samsung 100hz 37 inch LCD also must tvs with a 100 hz and full hd are about 700 euro or more and 4 years ago for my old HD readdy 26 samsung LCD was 800 euros

Its a Panasonic 42 inch Plasma 600hz full hd 3D

Well i find 3D great and to me it adds a lot to films and games

I am know looking forward to tron comeing out on it

Also 3D blu rays are cheap about 21 euros online each

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Cheap??? I wouldn't pay that I'm afraid. I generally shop in the €8-15 region for BluRays online unless it's something I really want and I certainly wouldn't pay any extra for 3D as I can't stand it! Anyway, enjoy the new TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

My new tv was only 800 euro with one pair of glasses any you get 4 free blu rays via mail in with it to and one of them is avater

Also a year and 1/2 ago my dad paid 850 euros for his Full HD samsung 100hz 37 inch LCD also must tvs with a 100 hz and full hd are about 700 euro or more and 4 years ago for my old HD readdy 26 samsung LCD was 800 euros

Its a Panasonic 42 inch Plasma 600hz full hd 3D

Well i find 3D great and to me it adds a lot to films and games

I am know looking forward to tron comeing out on it

I don't want to take this off topic but I take exception to that comment.

I think If 3D is to have a (creative) future, it's more than likely to be in the medium of computer games.
    The interactivity of it seems perfect in the world of virtual reality.

But movies??
    3D isn't and has never been the future of cinema.
    It is, was, and always will be the past!

IMAX photography FTW :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No disrespect to the OP, but 3D is just a gimmick imo. Although I admit, 3d video games sounds great!

3d movies are just an anti piracy move. When dust floating in the foreground of the frame becomes the focal point of the image, then its nothing more than gimmick, and distracting too.

Ive never seen anything on a 3D tv, so can I ask OP (and i bet you wont be biaised! :p), how does it 'feel' when watching it? Obviously you have glasses on but unlike the cinema, the screen doesnt take up your whole field of vision. Does your peripheral vision not become a distraction??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Avatar in 3D was stunning, & Cameron always had 3D plans for that film. However many other films have 3D bolted in at the end, in a very poor & gimmicky way.

Moral of the story? The technology works very, very well when it's done correctly. Bolting it on at the end makes it look cheap & tacky. I'm speaking of passive 3D in the cinema only, I don't really see a use for it in the home cinema world (active glasses are expensive & fragile, viewing angle has to be right, etc etc). Games being the exception, Crysis 2 is apparently incredible on a proper 3d system.

So people who hate 3d just because it's 3d, are missing the whole point. It can add to films (Avatar, A Christmas Carol was also very well done) when done correctly, but yes, it can certainly detract too when the studio houses add 3d in to sell tickets instead.

faceman wrote: »
    Ive never seen anything on a 3D tv, so can I ask OP (and i bet you wont be biaised! :p), how does it 'feel' when watching it? Obviously you have glasses on but unlike the cinema, the screen doesnt take up your whole field of vision. Does your peripheral vision not become a distraction??

I think its a lot better then gonging to the moves to look at 3D because the smaller TV will help a lot more on your eyes and things pooping out on you is really cool

Also you dont really fell the glasses on after a bit because you will get used to them very easy

The only thing i am finding hard is seeing if i turned of the glasses

But if you wont to see a 3D tv for real its very hard to test in a shop because you cant enjoy it as much as in your own siting room

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think 3d can take away from a film. I saw Toy Story 3 in 3d and in 2d and the colours are so much sharper in 2d.

I really don't like 3d because I have no interest in being 'in' the film. A story should be strong enough to draw you in without relying on cheap graphics. I don't really understand what the appeal of it is. Although I loved the visuals in Tron, I see that more like a video game than a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

EnterNow wrote: »
    Avatar in 3D was stunning, & Cameron always had 3D plans for that film. However many other films have 3D bolted in at the end, in a very poor & gimmicky way.

Having gone to see Avatar in both 3D and none 3D I felt it didn't add enough to the film to warrent the extra cost of the ticket. Sure it made the end battle scenes feel grander but over all it added little. The none 3D I found just if not more interesting as unlike most other 3D films that are filmed normally and the 3D effect added after, Avatar was shot in 3D so the colours in the none 3D edition were super intense as they are muted down by the 3D effect when you saw it in 3D.

Moral of the story? The technology works very, very well when it's done correctly. Bolting it on at the end makes it look cheap & tacky. I'm speaking of passive 3D in the cinema only, I don't really see a use for it in the home cinema world (active glasses are expensive & fragile, viewing angle has to be right, etc etc). Games being the exception, Crysis 2 is apparently incredible on a proper 3d system.

My issue with the home 3D set up is that in the cinema I'm there to watch the film and do only that, when I watch films at home I'm usually doing at least 3 others things as well - I draw with the tv on, I clean, I'm online etc etc I would find it very annoying having to wear the glasses as I already wear glasses that I'm taking on and off when I'm drawing and it would just drive me nuts.
    So people who hate 3d just because it's 3d, are missing the whole point. It can add to films (Avatar, A Christmas Carol was also very well done) when done correctly, but yes, it can certainly detract too when the studio houses add 3d in to sell tickets instead.

To date I've seen one scene in one film that made me go WOW with 3D and that was in Tangled, I've yet to be really impressed. I don't hate it I'm just not overly bothered. A tv/film screen is creating a sense of a 3D world on a flat surface already having it jump out from the screen...really? That adds to the film?

I think its a lot better then gonging to the moves to look at 3D because the smaller TV will help a lot more on your eyes and things pooping out on you is really cool

Also you dont really fell the glasses on after a bit because you will get used to them very easy

The only thing i am finding hard is seeing if i turned of the glasses

But if you wont to see a 3D tv for real its very hard to test in a shop because you cant enjoy it as much as in your own siting room

Whether you meant pooping or popping, it's still not cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I sincerely hope the 3D bubble bursts soon, but the prices on TVs are dropping and more and more people are taking the plunge and investing in them.

3D IMO adds NOTHING to film, causes more of a distraction and the effects can be headache inducingly bad at times. Most of the 3D Films out recently are not even proper stereoscopic 3D, but piss poor converts that make the films look like pop up books.

If it is done well, a la Avatar, it is impressive but the effect wore off after about 20 mins and it got annoying, went back to see it in 2D a day later and enjoyed it so much more. Also, it is impressive in cinema/theatre but I just dont understand the need for it at home.

Dear 3D films, please feck off and dont come back. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If anyone can convince me 3D isn't entirely redundant, Herzog can. I shall reserve judgment (so far, negative although impressed by my brief go on a 3DS) until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

OP for a small fee i can come over with a bucket of water,fans and such stuff and give ya a 4D home experience ;)..Since Avatar,Every 3D have been a gimic, and the rare one with a decent bit of 3D has been a rubbish film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The only things I've found that 3D added to films are a headache and a slight feeling of nausea.

I'm sorry, OP, but there is little or no reason to buy a 3D TV. You'll only have some games, movies and sports. That's it.

Will what i get from this your all pissed that i have goting my self a 3D TV but i work a 50 weak and i am 19 so i think i can buy my self nice things

Well 3D hasint done anything to me ever because its all in your head thinking this is going to make me sick and give me a pain in the head

Also i will love if lord of the rings gets made in 3D because that will look something else after looking at one of them last night i was thinking to my self this would have looked great in 3D

Also i will love if lord of the rings gets made in 3D because that will look something else after looking at one of them last night i was thinking to my self this would have looked great in 3D

I hope this will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't mind 3D. Unlike a lot of people I know, it doesn't give me a headache or make me feel ill in any way (just need to rub my eyes after watching for a few hours)

I'm not mad into getting or playing 3D games or movies but I am curious to see what a home set up is like. The big problem I have though is the whole 3D TV stuff. Now, I have no idea how 3D technology works so I could be completely wrong about some things here but I think it's just another scam to make people buy expensive TVs. First of all, the old red and blue 3D works on the oldest TVs you can find (than are in colour). So the new 3d technology needs a new TV, right?

From what I can see, that's not true. I've seen a few 3D movies in cinemas and I know how they work. A projector shoots the light onto a big sheet of some material. It doesn't come off a screen, no special technology is needed. So why does a TV need to be specially made while elsewhere this 3D technology can work off bed sheets? I call bull****... but like I said I don't know the technical aspects of how it works so there could be a good reason why it doesn't but knowing the corrupt market and how much they milk gimmicks like this, I'm guessing it's just a spin.

To really enjoy 3D you have to not focus on the 3D bits. I bet this is way easier to do when playing a game since you're focussing on playing the game but for movies people can sometimes be focussing too much on the 3d. It's better to just watch as normal and let the 3d do its job in giving you a greater sense of depth.

I don't mind 3D. Unlike a lot of people I know, it doesn't give me a headache or make me feel ill in any way (just need to rub my eyes after watching for a few hours)

I'm not mad into getting or playing 3D games or movies but I am curious to see what a home set up is like. The big problem I have though is the whole 3D TV stuff. Now, I have no idea how 3D technology works so I could be completely wrong about some things here but I think it's just another scam to make people buy expensive TVs. First of all, the old red and blue 3D works on the oldest TVs you can find (than are in colour). So the new 3d technology needs a new TV, right?

From what I can see, that's not true. I've seen a few 3D movies in cinemas and I know how they work. A projector shoots the light onto a big sheet of some material. It doesn't come off a screen, no special technology is needed. So why does a TV need to be specially made while elsewhere this 3D technology can work off bed sheets? I call bull****... but like I said I don't know the technical aspects of how it works so there could be a good reason why it doesn't but knowing the corrupt market and how much they milk gimmicks like this, I'm guessing it's just a spin.

To really enjoy 3D you have to not focus on the 3D bits. I bet this is way easier to do when playing a game since you're focussing on playing the game but for movies people can sometimes be focussing too much on the 3d. It's better to just watch as normal and let the 3d do its job in giving you a greater sense of depth.

No the Big sheet of material is a spacial thing because there is 2 layers of it with the film going on both to give 3d

On tvs you need 200 hz to run 3D because 100 hz to each eye so you see it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

My dad picked up a 3D tv the other day. They didn't have the standard tv he wanted and the 3d one was cheaper and is a fantastic tv on it's own. He's waiting for the free 3d bluray player to arrive, so hasn't been able to see anything except what's on Sky 3d (which isn't much).

But it is fairly impressive, particularly with some sports. Was watching tennis and rugby on it and it was fantastic looking. Had a gander at Clash Of The Titans which is a sh*te movie, but looks grand in 3D.

I don't doubt it's a gimmick and I can't imagine it lasting too much longer, but it's still pretty cool to see. You'd never spend the whole day watching it though. You'd just watch the one thing you wanted (a movie, a sport or a game, etc) and then go back to standard tv. It's a gimmick, but it can be a fun gimmick.

• Advertisement

Will what i get from this your all pissed that i have goting my self a 3D TV but i work a 50 weak and i am 19 so i think i can buy my self nice things

And your quite right OP, if that's what you want to spend your money thats your choice but on the flip side you can't expect everyone else to want to rush out and buy one as well.

Well 3D hasint done anything to me ever because its all in your head thinking this is going to make me sick and give me a pain in the head

It's not all in someones head I'm afraid as we don't all have 20/20 vision. 3D is set up to work for the majority of peoples vision range but there are alot of people that it doesn't work for. Because I wear glasses I find I can't move my head very much or the 3D effect just goes. I know several people who can't see anything at all and the whole screen just look dim to them and I know a number who can't sit through it without feeling sick or getting a headache. It's one of the issues that I have with the current 3D set up and why I've zero interest in spending my hard earned cash on 3D products at this time.

If by made do you mean the whole film series remade using 3D cameras or take the current films and just turn them into 3D films - well actually both options are stupid so it doesn't matter. If they want to make films in 3D thats fine but taking older films and applying the 3D effect to them is really really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Any word on whether David Lynch will ever make a 3D movie? Mark Kermode has said that he will eat his own shoe if this ever happens.

Any word on whether David Lynch will ever make a 3D movie? Mark Kermode has said that he will eat his own shoe if this ever happens.

A little bit of originality would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can't see myself shelling out on a 3D TV until they make one that doesn't require glasses (besides, I've only made the jump to HD recently). I don't mind putting them on the odd time in the cinema, but having to use them at home seems like a niggling distraction to me.
    3D gaming sounds class. I'd say it's particularly nice for first person shooters. Haven't played the 3DS yet. Would be interesting to see how it works without the glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

side note on this,

i've seen 2 3d movies in the cinema. both times there were short periods when it looked like the picture to my right eye went dark for a bit. Anyone else have this? I wear glasses normally, maybe somehting to do with that as 1 poster chap touched on

paulieeye wrote: »
    side note on this,

i've seen 2 3d movies in the cinema. both times there were short periods when it looked like the picture to my right eye went dark for a bit. Anyone else have this? I wear glasses normally, maybe somehting to do with that as 1 poster chap touched on

Do you wear your glasses under the 3D glasses when watching the films? It could be that one eye is slightly weaker then the other and as you need both eyes to get the 3D effect as your viewing two projected images.

Having a look round to see if anyone has done any studies on short and long sighted vision and 3D effects but most appear to be on limited to no vision in only one eye. There are alot of anecdotal comments about headaches and the effect not working right but I can't see a proper study on the issues anywhere. We have had a few workshops at my job [television production] on 3D and I asked about it but the person giving the talk was def more into the sales pitch side trying to get all the producers to pay for 3D to be added on to exisitng productions and brushed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

To all that have a 3DTV I recommend you get:

IMAX Space Station 3D
    IMAX Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk 3D
    Despicable Me 3D

I have IMAX Space Station 3D and the 3D is brilliant, especially the parts inside the space station. I've seen trailers for the other two I mentioned and they look just as good, can't wait to get Tron Legacy :D

hellboy99 wrote: »
    can't wait to get Tron Legacy :D

Have seen several people saying this and have to say after seeing it in 3D in the cinema [and none 3D] it wouldn't be top of my list if I got a 3d tv....the 3D effect is only present in the digital world not the real world so you've got the first 15/20 mins of nothing and then frankly really limited 3D effects through. Tron Legacy is the only film after Avatar that I bother to go see both versions to see the difference and even as someone whose not overly impressed by 3D I was amazed at how crap the 3D effort was to the point were I don't know why they bothered.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    Have seen several people saying this and have to say after seeing it in 3D in the cinema [and none 3D] it wouldn't be top of my list if I got a 3d tv....the 3D effect is only present in the digital world not the real world so you've got the first 15/20 mins of nothing and then frankly really limited 3D effects through. Tron Legacy is the only film after Avatar that I bother to go see both versions to see the difference and even as someone whose not overly impressed by 3D I was amazed at how crap the 3D effort was to the point were I don't know why they bothered.

I was really disappointed by the 3D in Tron legacy, I was taken to see it on my birthday and after years of wanting to see a sequel to Tron my anticipation was at fever pitch and while I enjoyed the film the 3D was entirely meh. Avatar which I'd seen on my previous birthday looked absolutely stunning and is one of the few films I would like to see again in 3D but Tron Legacy is one which I think will work much better in good old-fashioned 2D. The one good thing about many 3D films is that the Blu Ray releases arent forcing you to double dip again in future, looking at Saw 3D I was pleasantly surprised to find that there wasnt a number of different versions but rather one which offered both 3D and normal for under 20 euro.

Advertisement