Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale in full resolution widesceen!

Options
  • 01-02-2008 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

This has just made my week! A mod to (somehow) patch the game to run in a selection of resolutions.

Grab it here.

Just tried it on Planescape Torment and it looks AMAZING.

Can't wait to give Baldur's gate a try.

Note: It needs a bit of tweaking to get right. I found I had turn down the hardware acceleration to get the fog of war working correctly.

screeny: (full res one attached)

sm3634.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Holy crap!

Now if only the game wasn't so bloody hard to get. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh man, just bought the Icewind Dale boxset. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Sweet. I've been meaning to do Icewind Dale 2 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Cool, ive had some unfinished tormet saves for a while, good excuse to get it out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

Oh wow. Cool.

Now time to dig through my boxes for the game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Want.

Damn you Mac!!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Best RPG engine ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

DingChavez wrote: »
    Best RPG engine ever.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Slightly OT: Is it possible to push the resolution to 1280x1024 with this mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait, what the hell is the point? Look at the freaking control panel in the bottom right, this is retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait, what the hell is the point? Look at the freaking control panel in the bottom right, this is retarded.

try it before you knock it. The mod edits the environment and enlarges the playing area. Inventory, menus and load screens are unchanged. These are minor quibbles as its amazing the game can be modified in this way in the first place. Its a 9 year old game and it looks so much fresher now with the improved with resolution.
    qwertz wrote:
    Slightly OT: Is it possible to push the resolution to 1280x1024 with this mod?

I would say that is very much ON topic :)

Yes you can run well past that resolution if you want. Check my screenshot, its running for me at 1680x1050. I've also read that you can give it ANY x/y size, 1000x800 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Thanks, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Made my day mate!

edit: Fallout 2 possibly....

for some reason I can't edit the original post.

here's a fallout 2 resolution patch I found also. Haven't test it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

Zillah wrote: »

I have to agree. Increasing the resolution beyond a certain point is a waste of time. It just makes everything too small. If you want better pixel density, play on a smaller screen.

If you want better pixel density, play on a smaller screen.

ha, sorry but that's crap

Have you tried it?
    1650x1050 is extreme but it works fine for me. The interface is very usable and I only spend 2% of the time looking at it anyway.

The interface is the only thing that isn't increased. Say what you like, I'm keeping it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Yep that's them. In my opinion they go in this order:

1. Planescape Torment (Light combat, heavy role-playing, lots of reading, best story)
    2. Baldur's Gate Series (Even mix of combat and roleplaying)
    3. Icewind Dale Series (Heavy combat)

Try pick up Planescape Torment if you can on ebay or somewhere, the best RPG I've ever played.

Also the Infinity engine is old, don't expect Oblivion-like graphics. The key aspect was the crafting that went into the environments and spell effects.

Enjoy!

So I finally got around to testing Baldur's Gate 2 on this and it looks brilliant. Even better than PST as it resizes the surrounding UI.

I've attached full res pics of the images below.

eu24iq.jpg

35lf32e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

holy f**king sh*t ball batman

this is exactly what I was waiting for, having had to the games from that Pack they brought out about 4 years ago, but never played them properly because they looked crap on my monitor.

Now if they could just do this for Fall Out I might get around to playing those games from that other pack they brought out again about 4 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

pretty impressive stuff

Advertisement