Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in New York

Options
  • 15-06-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Well heading off to New York with my friend on 28th Dec 08 - 5th Jan 09

Im planning on doing some serious shopping :D

I was in NY 2 years ago but only went to Jersey Gardens and was not impressed. Will defo be heading out to woodbury common this time.

Has anyone here been to NY that time of year and what do you think about Woodbury Common. And what would be the best time to head there etc

Can anyone recommend any other good shopping spots???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have a read of this short thread, some useful pointers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I was there for the last New Years, didn't bother with Woodbury, it doesn't appeal to me, just went to the normal shops around Manhattan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'll hopefully be going over to new york in november with a few friends, where are the best shopping area's apart from woodbury common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Stop making me jealous with your talk of New York... I want to go so badly.... maybe I'll see what monies might get for my birthday in September and try pop over before Christmas

I want to go... now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MazStar

I LOVE Macy's (34th St). Get your 10% discount card when you bring your passport to customer services.

Also loved Forever 21.

Wasnt that mad about Woodbury Commons to be honest. I think it depends on what your looking for. If you are all about getting designer gear and spending a bit on it (still at a discount price) it would be good but if your like me and just want as much new clothes as possible with brands not mattering too much then I didnt think it was worth the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

I was there a few weeks ago. Did not bother with Woodbury common this time. I prefer the shops around manhattan (would be into designer shoes / bags) spent most of my time in Bloomingdales (get your 11% discount card), Saks, Abercrombie...even though I came out with only two things. had to queue to get in there!!! American Eagle, Marc Jacobs, Lulu Guinness
    Also went to more unusual places like Penguin, Anthropologie.

Just check out any shops that interest you on-line. You can also subscribe to Woodbury Common mailing list. You get notifications of extra discounts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hi Hockeygirl, myself and my boyf went from 31 Dec 07 - 8 Jan 08.

I would advise not to go shopping anywhere near Times Square on NYE, you will have to queue to move around as it's being cordonned off for security.

I did NOT like Macy's. would never go back. It's got a bad selection, cheap clothes and unbelievably hot. The staff I found unhelpful too.

We liked American Eagle, Abercrombie, Ruehl and Hollister (not in Manhattan though), Guess, Bloomingdales, Sephora for make up, Saks for designer stuff and Express.

We did not go to Woodbury as I've been there before. It's a bit bargain bin-ish for me. I like the new styles and am prepared to pay a little more.

We decided to take a day trip to the Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ. It was approx 1 hour's bus journey from Port Authority and was something like $3 to get to. There they had everything you'd want, but it was basically empty and everything was in the one place. They also had Ruehl and Hollister which weren't in Manhattan. I would recommend it if you like your nice clothes.

In general the shops were open like normal over that time period, we didn't have any problems. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate... sorry for making anyone jealous :rolleyes:

I cant wait to go now Im literally counting down the days. I have to do the lotto this week and if I win Im buying an apartment in New Yorkand all thouse who gave me helpful hints are welcome to stay...... IF I win the lotto that is :D

Ive never been to woodbury common before. Not hugely into designer gear but if the price is right I wont say no. Hopefully its not like TK MAX madness... couldnt handle that at all!

Ive lost 2stone since xmas and should hit my ideal in the next 2mths so anythiung Im buying isnt top quality stuff .... Im saving myself for New York.

I would be a bit curvy through hips and ass. I hoping to get some AG jeans there... supposed to be good for curvy figures and I know they have a discount store there and Joe Jeans are opening there aswell and I have to get a pair of rock republic jeans ... sooooo nice

Will prob spend a shocking amount of money on benefit and mac, also defo buying a designer handbag
    Pythia wrote: »
    We decided to take a day trip to the Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ. It was approx 1 hour's bus journey from Port Authority and was something like $3 to get to. There they had everything you'd want, but it was basically empty and everything was in the one place. They also had Ruehl and Hollister which weren't in Manhattan. I would recommend it if you like your nice clothes.

Pythia where were you for the ball drop? Ive been told to avoiod Times square as its mental?!

hockeygirl wrote: »
    Pythia where were you for the ball drop? Ive been told to avoiod Times square as its mental?!

Yes, but we bought tickets for it. If you wanna go normally, it's pretty horrible. You'd wanna get there about 6pm, there's no toilets and it'll be freezing. We went to TGI Fridays and were let out for midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Century 21 and Macys FTW

• Advertisement

Oh my god I am getting seriously excited now!

And Ive months to go yet.

I was in Macys the last time I was in New York and I wasnt impressed. I preferred the Manhatten Mall to Macys and its pretty small but the have a Charlotte Russe there which is good for tops.

The only thing I liked about Macys was that I went to the MAC counter with my firneds and got the works... and then bought the products that were used on us. The girl was great craic. Think her name was tiffiany and she was like queen latifahs twin sister! I swear when I saw her I really thought it was her until I saw her helping a customer.

I think I might try that Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ as reommended by pythia.

See when I was in NY the last time I went with 2 girls who were a nightmare! we were there for 5nites and one of the girls had been a few times so she wouldnt do any sight seeing that u had to pay for and we wouldnt leave her by herself... more fool us... plus she only brought 400€ worth of dollars and spent most of it in the 1st day.

This time Im going with a girl from my old job that Im really good mates with ... shes never been so I'll get to do all the sightseeing I didnt do before. Woohoooo New york here I come.... (in 6months that is :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

my 2c's worth!

for discounted designer clothes that aren't 2 or 3 seasons ago.
    has to be loehmanns (IMO). during the summer their selection of sunglasses is unbelievable and during the winter their coats are amazing!
    just got a pair of marc jacobs sunglasses for $60
    they're on the Upper westside, 2101 Broadway
    get the 1 or 2 train from times sq, get off 72nd st. they also have a store downtown, chelsea area, buts its much smaller and not as good.

For shoes (and sometimes bags)
    DSW (designer shoe warehouse), they're on union square.
    thousands of shoes, rows and rows, great boots in winter and excellent for sandals in the summer.

In the same complex as DSW (I think)
    there is a store called Filenes basement
    Its similar to loehmanns, does discount designer stuff etc.
    Might need to spend time rooting around as it can be a bit of a mess, which can be off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I enjoyed Woodbury Commons and found some great bargains there on a recent trip. Diane von Furstenberg dress for $160, Adidas runners for $45, puma runners for $30, Hilfiger jeans for $45, Guess handbag for $70. Personally, I'm not pushed about current fashion, as long as something suits me, so I snaffled up some great bargains in Woodbury. Additionally, Woodbury is also located at the foot of the Catskill mountains, which should be lovely around Christmas time.

Century 21 is also worth a visit if you're a bargain hunter. Just be prepared for it to be busy.

All of New York is a shopping haven right now for us Irish. Enjoy.

Wow dudar sounds like you did very well.

I would be the same.... I wouldnt care how out of season it is... if it looks good I'll buy it.

My main aim is to buy a few pairs of designer jeans... am willing to pay the avg $200 per pair (as opposed to €300 in ireland!)

One thing Id love to know is how much the AG Jeans are in the adriano goldschmeid store.

So Im budgeting $1000 for designer jeans.... but if I can get them chaeper all the better ... means I can buy more pairs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

im just back from new york, was their before and went to woodbury commons the last time so went to jersey gardens this time and i must say i prefered jersey gardens..eventhough all of the shops aren't outlets they all still have really good sale sections..there's a guess outlet there and got two bags for $40 each, got loads of stuff in forever 21 and abercrombie and fitch. I wouldn't really be into tommy hilfiger but there was brilliantle priced stuff there..
    Manhattan mall is good as well i like that place.up by union square you have fileenes basement and tj maxx but its a bit crazy at those two places so i left fairly rapidly..

This is the dress I got, I just love it!

370_5023_001kv.jpg

dudara wrote: »

Oh wow me likey!!!! That dress is so unusual :) Id say its fab on.

Well done you. That was a snip at $160 :D

Hopefully I'll be just as lucky

Pythia wrote: »

I would advise not to go shopping anywhere near Times Square on NYE, you will have to queue to move around as it's being cordonned off for security.

I did NOT like Macy's. would never go back. It's got a bad selection, cheap clothes and unbelievably hot. The staff I found unhelpful too.

We liked American Eagle, Abercrombie, Ruehl and Hollister (not in Manhattan though), Guess, Bloomingdales, Sephora for make up, Saks for designer stuff and Express.

We did not go to Woodbury as I've been there before. It's a bit bargain bin-ish for me. I like the new styles and am prepared to pay a little more.

In general the shops were open like normal over that time period, we didn't have any problems. Hope that helps!

Is Ruehl not in Greenwich village?Thought I seen it on a drunken misadventure after a nght in "off the wagon".

TBH.I can never shop in forever 21 or Macy's or tj maxx.I need everything in order.

Diesel on Union Square has to be one of the best shop layouts I have ever seen.If you are looking for fairly out there clothes.Shop around Greenwich village/SoHo.I bought loads of up and coming designer t-shirts and jeans in small shops in Greenwich.

If you stick to 5th ave between Central Park and 20th street and Lexington st around the bottom corner of central park.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

just to add if it jeans you are after
    again i would definitely recommend loehmanns

they do loads of brands, 7 for all mankind, true religion, lucky brand, citizens of humanity, miss sixty, diesel, rock and republic
    and more I can't think of at the moment

definitely worth a look imho

eefy wrote: »
    just to add if it jeans you are after
    again i would definitely recommend loehmanns

they do loads of brands, 7 for all mankind, true religion, lucky brand, citizens of humanity, miss sixty, diesel, rock and republic
    and more I can't think of at the moment

definitely worth a look imho

Thanks effy I'll definately go there! we're there for 7 nites so will definately fit that in.
    Jeebus I wish I was going tomorrow - 6 months is a long time to wait.

Edit:
    Ummm dont know if anyone will agree with this but might be a good idea to make this a sticky and rename it shopping in New York??? There has been some great suggestions here and it could help people out?

• Advertisement

Ummm dont know if anyone will agree with this but might be a good idea to make this a sticky and rename it shopping in New York??? There has been some great suggestions here and it could help people out?

I think that there might already be such a thread in the travel forum or bargain alerts forum. I know I saw such a sticky a few months ago. Maybe someone else can remember exactly where.

Is Ruehl not in Greenwich village?Thought I seen it on a drunken misadventure after a nght in "off the wagon".

Afaik, that Ruehl only sells accessories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dudara wrote: »

370_5023_001kv.jpg
    Oh that is magnificent. I love 60s style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

I loved the area around Manhatten Mall, for such a relatively small area it had great stuff. Love the knit tops in Aeropostale, the going out tops and shoes in Charlotte Russe, got two pairs of shoes for $30 and still perfect a year on. Incidentally does anyone know if Charlotte Russe deliver internationally if I order online? Strawberry can have the odd quaint little bargain.

If you don't like TJ Maxx steer well clear of Century 21. On the other hand if you do chance it, my advice is give yourself time for two visits. Day one to scope it out, and day two to try on and buy, since you're only allowed 7 items in a changing room which is actually fcek all. I can't quite remember but I think it was on the second floor, or maybe first, in an unlikely spot that I discovered some going out tops that I had tried on in Macy's 4th floor the day before, way cheaper!! BTW I got a great pair of Joes Jeans for about $50 and also saw Victoria Beckham white Rock and Republic jeans, $40 but white isn't a great colour practicality wise!

Macy's is good for real Guess, etc and the fourth floor has great party dresses.

You have to go to Abercrombie on 54th street (or near there) and 5th - just for the models alone, what an experience! Madness!

Xpress Two do great jeans, I think it was around 30th and 5th give or take a street that I was in, and I got the best jeans of all time! If you paid in cash you got 40% off at the time!

Tommy Hilfiger is the only brand I couldn't find much of in NYC itself, Woodbury defo better for that.

Sephora is good for makeup, try the Tarte Lip Stain, heaven on earth!

In summary - if I knew you I'd hate you, I'm unbelievably homesick for NY, :o, I lived beside Century 21 last summer, what a city it is. Enjoy the sightseeing!:D

Hi Thanks for the reply

I cant wait to go … just wish it was tomorrow instead of 6mths away!

Charlotte Russe only started their shipping service a year ago but haven’t included Europe yet… Unfortunatly

When I was there 2 yrs ago I bought a lot of nice going out tops their and a cool jacket so I’ll definitely pop in again

Its not the best quality but the stuff is lovely and different to what you get over here.

Ooo I never heard of Express Two... I'll have to check that out. Do they do designer jeans or is it like charlotte russe where they have their own brand?

I'll be staying in the Radisson on Lexington so shopping central!

If anyone else knows of good Fashion stores in NY please post here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Hi Hockeygirl, reading this thread makes we want to go back to New York :(

I've been to New York 3 times and each time I went to Woodbury Common, but in January I went to Jersey Gardens for the first time. I loved it for casual wear - polo shirts, hoodies etc, and it was nice and quiet. The bus only costs $9, compared to around $40 to go to Woodbury Common. BUT I do like Woodbury Common too, I got a pair of jeans and a leather bag in Juicy Couture for around $130 each and a pair of UGGs for around $180. If you only have time for one I'd recommend going on to the Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common websites and looking at the store listings to see which appeals to you.

EDIT: Sorry the boss came in in the middle of that!

For designer jeans I'd recommend Saks, they sell all the top brands and the staff are really helpful without being too pushy. You might pick up a few pairs in the outlet stores, but I hate having to root, and even paying full price you're still making savings compared to prices here. Like you, I love Rock and Republic Jeans too, but they just don't suit me :( they're only around $200 a pair, compared to around €400 here :eek: I found 7 For All Mankind a better fit and I got a pair in Saks for around $180.

The New York Magazine website is really good for finding out where shops are located (linky)

I don't know how much you're prepared to spend on a designer bag, but Guess bags are only about half the price they are here. There's two shops - one in South Street Seaport and a larger one in SoHo, there's also outlets in Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common, but the stuff in the outlets tends to be old-fashioned. There's a lot of other good shops down in SoHo (just search by neighbourhood on that NY Mag link), but the layout of the streets makes it a bit harder to find them.

Enjoy your trip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Charlotte Russe only started their shipping service a year ago but haven’t included Europe yet… Unfortunatly

When I was there 2 yrs ago I bought a lot of nice going out tops their and a cool jacket so I’ll definitely pop in again

Its not the best quality but the stuff is lovely and different to what you get over here.

Darn, I know what you mean about the quality but its just so hard to find nice pretty tops and stuff here, and that place is like a paradise for them! Roll on the day they start shipping here!

Ooo I never heard of Express Two... I'll have to check that out. Do they do designer jeans or is it like charlotte russe where they have their own brand?

Damn I can't find the website or anything on Google at the mo, but leave it with me, I'll check the jeans I have at home for the right spelling of Xpress 2 and try again!! They do their own brand of jeans, usually labelled X2. They're better quality and a higher price than C Russe stock would be, but not designer prices. They're just a really great fit and there are so many different styles on sale. The shop also does tops and stuff but the jeans were the big success for me!

I'll get back to you if I get the address or whatever of X2. :)

dee8839 wrote: »
    I'll get back to you if I get the address or whatever of X2. :)

Thanks Deee

I found the charlotte russe jeans just didnt go near me! So tiny.... but then I am now 2st lighter than I was the last time I went so maybe better look this time round.

The manhatten mall area is fairly good I have to say .... there is an Old Navy there aswell which is great for tees etc.

Oh and there is a huge Urban Outfitters on Broadway ... just 5 min walk from Union Square. Its amazing. Cant recommend it enough. the difference in price between ireland and the US.... I was walking around with my mouth open the whole time. I bought a cool top there for $30 and when I came home it was out here 2mths later for 38euro!!!

Pigletlover I was in Jersy Gardens before but didnt enjoy it and bought sweet F.A but that mughtve been the time of year. Its look of the draw with outlets in generall

Pythia recommended the Garden State Plaza here is the website with the store listing definately looks good: http://www.westfield.com/gardenstateplaza/ourstores/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

• Advertisement

This thread has been made a sticky folks thanks to Dudara and Simu :D

So if anyone has any shopping tips for New York like a great little unknown boutique or more info about the shopping outlets please post here

Happy Shopping!!!!

This thread is only for shopping in New York if you need any other info about general travel in New York please follow the link to the New York Megathread in Travel:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055092585

Advertisement