Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme noise level - creche

Options
  • 14-05-2018 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hello everybody,

I am looking for advise after searching on citizens information, threshold.ie, and several other sources that talk about noise.

When I bought my apartment many years ago, it was in its building phase. They showed the plans and a mockup and everybody was happy with it.
    Some time after the apartments were finished... someone got permission to build a large creche in the middle of the courtyard of every single apartment in the area.

Every day between 08:30 and 09:00 they put every child in the creche out into the courtyard play zone and tell them to make as much noise as possible. They see who can shout the loudest, they chase them and make them run etc... it is absolutely crazy.

I work a lot of very late shifts and full night shifts. I just cannot sleep. Window vents completely shut, double layered ear plugs, nothing works. The noise level is too high.

I have to sleep on the couch and this has been going on for so long now that I have this ongoing pain in my back and right shoulder...

I do not know if there is anything I can do. Can anybody provide me with advise? Since I am in negative equity I am unable to move to another place. I am stuck.

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Could you swap your rooms around ? Bedroom where the sitting room is now ? If not could you buy a fold away bed to use when you need to sleep ?
    I did night duty all my working life and had to think of ways of helping myself as the world outside sure wasn't !

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Yes I have tried a foldaway bed but it broke - i should get one again.

Unable to swap everything due to connections and different size. Thanks though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Check the planning permission and see were there any conditions attached that they are breaking. Complain to the building management. Can you rent it and rent somewhere else?

What about noise canceling head phones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Noise pollution laws
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

However, it's happening at a reasonable time (0900) so I suspect your complaints will be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Check the planning permission and see were there any conditions attached that they are breaking. Complain to the building management. Can you rent it and rent somewhere else?

What about noise canceling head phones

Not possible to sleep in. I tried at one stage.. In need I use now wax ear plugs that work better than the foam ones..

OP, I feel for you, I really do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not possible to sleep in. I tried at one stage.. In need I use now wax ear plugs that work better than the foam ones..

OP, I feel for you, I really do

Wax ear plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Legally there is nothing that can be done. But any reasonable business getting a valid issue raised by a neighbour should try to negate the nuisance. OP call in to the crèche and explain your problem to see what they will do, I'd be surprised if they did nothing.

Thanks for all the great replies. I will try wax ear plugs instead of the foam ones i have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Go to the manager and calmly verbalize your predicament.
    Complain to the owner, if nothing happens.

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    Go to the manager and calmly verbalize your predicament.
    Complain to the owner, if nothing happens.

Its 8;30 till 9 am and allowing the preschool children out in the fresh air . What is there to complain about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What is there to complain about ?
    Erm, the noise? :confused:

GreeBo wrote: »
    Erm, the noise? :confused:

Erm its a creche . Its like complaining that the kids are loud in a school yard
    Its not the middle of the night for them . The OP has to help himself if he does night shifts in fairness
    I did nights all my life but never asked my neighbour not to cut his grass .
    I doubt very much there is a reason to complain in this instance actually

It is between 08:30 and 09:00 in the morning until between 17:00 and 18:00 when the children are outside in the middle of the courtyard. It is not just 30 minutes. It is the entire day, 5 days a week.

They also do not just go outside and play... several of the staff members open the doors and go: "CHILDREN LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SCREAM CHILDREN SCREAM!!! I AM CHASING YOU!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA"

She screams this on the top of her lungs every day ... possibly to make the children tired for the rest of the rest so it is easier to manage? I am unsure. The staff members are as loud as possible and make the children run around and scream their heads off :(
    Its 8;30 till 9 am and allowing the preschool children out in the fresh air . What is there to complain about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Erm its a creche . Its like complaining that the kids are loud in a school yard
    Its not the middle of the night for them . The OP has to help himself if he does night shifts in fairness
    I did nights all my life but never asked my neighbour not to cut his grass .
    I doubt very much there is a reason to complain in this instance actually

No, its like someone building a school yard outside your house unbeknownst to you. Based on what the OP is telling us, there seems like an awful lot to complain about actually. I know I would be complaining. Its an inappropriate use of public(?) space.

OP, is the play area in the courtyard or is there a separate area within the creche?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Erm its a creche . Its like complaining that the kids are loud in a school yard Its not the middle of the night for them . The OP has to help himself if he does night shifts in fairness I did nights all my life but never asked my neighbour not to cut his grass . I doubt very much there is a reason to complain in this instance actually

They are being told to shout as loud as they can, there is definitely no need for that. A block of apartments probably has loads of people inside at that hour of the day. I would definitely be complaining about it. And your neighbour hardly cut the grass five days a week.

Yurple wrote: »
    It is between 08:30 and 09:00 in the morning until between 17:00 and 18:00 when the children are outside in the middle of the courtyard. It is not just 30 minutes. It is the entire day, 5 days a week.

They also do not just go outside and play... several of the staff members open the doors and go: "CHILDREN LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SCREAM CHILDREN SCREAM!!! I AM CHASING YOU!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA"

She screams this on the top of her lungs every day ... possibly to make the children tired for the rest of the rest so it is easier to manage? I am unsure. The staff members are as loud as possible and make the children run around and scream their heads off :(

Your OP read like they were out from 8:30 till 9amSorry i thought you meant they were just out in the morning . Surely they are not out all day long ?
    In fairness I would ask the creche nicely so to try not encourage the kids to scream .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

if they are actively encouraging the kids to make noise and scream then go over to the creche and say, I just over heard you saying "repeat what was said" please stop doing that.

Noise is reasonable, encouraging excessive noise isnt. Just call them out on it directly even if you have to record it and play it back to them as proof.

No, its like someone building a school yard outside your house unbeknownst to you. Based on what the OP is telling us, there seems like an awful lot to complain about actually. I know I would be complaining. Its an inappropriate use of public(?) space.

OP, is the play area in the courtyard or is there a separate area within the creche?

Yes I am actually surprised it got planning permission in a courtyard ?

Yes I misunderstood the OPs time they were out . It read like it was only for hslf an hour . I am at a loss as to why any child carer would encourage screaming though !! Its not like toddlers need encouragement for that !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I suspect I know the creche. It's in a busy city hub, and it opened in 2001. I'm not sure when the apartments were occupied but I presume around the same time. If it is the same one, then all children don't get out to play at the same time. The different ages have different times slots for going outdoors. I've been in it and children being children do make some noise. The space is not public, it is owned/rented by the creche and the apartments have about 90% of the courtyard to use as the owners see fit. Sure the owners could be outside screaming while the kids are in having naps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

In fairness I would ask the creche nicely so to try not encourage the kids to scream .

Exactly what I said earlier.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Perhaps you could use your phone to record the staff screaming orders to the kids (audio only, don't film) you could use this as proof that they are being encouraged to be overly noisy in a residential area!

Perhaps download a decibel measurement app too, see if they are within the permitted levels of noise? Decibel X is a good app...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

frag420 wrote: »
    Perhaps you could use your phone to record the staff screaming orders to the kids (audio only, don't film) you could use this as proof that they are being encouraged to be overly noisy in a residential area!

Perhaps download a decibel measurement app too, see if they are within the permitted levels of noise? Decibel X is a good app...

What is the permitted decibel levels for children playing?

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    Exactly what I said earlier.....

I am baffled as to why any staff encourage children to scream anyway !!

What is the permitted decibel levels for children playing?

No idea. I doubt it is specific to children playing, more so what is allowed in a residential area!

No idea. I doubt it is specific to children playing, more so what is allowed in a residential area!

Many junior schools are in residential areas so I presume they are not overly regulated ?

Many junior schools are in residential areas so I presume they are not overly regulated ?

I would imagine they are. However I doubt many are in a courtyard surrounded by residential apts that can echo the noise making it a lot worse for the residents!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Yurple wrote: »

It's a long time since I've had a child in playschool, but is this not a bit weird?!

Gravelly wrote: »
    It's a long time since I've had a child in playschool, but is this not a bit weird?!

Perhaps the OP should try it, they won’t be long keeping the kids indoors then!!

• Advertisement

I would imagine they are. However I doubt many are in a courtyard surrounded by residential apts that can echo the noise making it a lot worse for the residents!?

Yes thats true . Really surprised it got permission .

We have a junior school here in the estate and gardens backing on to the yard . The noise can be incredible for a few hours a day . I very much the noise level is measured and regulated to be honest

Advertisement