Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is RTE Gold about to go FM?

• 20-03-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭

This is an interesting tweet from Rick O'Shea

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1240980798737649664?s=20

Seriously, thank you SO much to everyone listening to
    @RTEGold
    and telling us how much you need it as a place of even temporary refuge from constant #COVID19 news.

We're here for you. We will be here for you. There may even be a bit more coming.

Details when I have them.

XXX

I have to say, I've definitely found myself asking Alexa to play RTE Gold a good bit as I've been working from home, just to get away from the constant commentary on the virus.

The Countdown of the 100 Best Irish Songs was enjoyable on Patrick's Day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is an interesting tweet from Rick O'Shea

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1240980798737649664?s=20

I have to say, I've definitely found myself asking Alexa to play RTE Gold a good bit as I've been working from home, just to get away from the constant commentary on the virus.

The Countdown of the 100 Best Irish Songs was enjoyable on Patrick's Day.

RTÉ gold is easily RTEs best output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The bit more coming is a reference to RTE Gold not closing on Easter Monday but staying on air due to the ongoing situation imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

one of the best stations to come out of the RTE radio centre. here is hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Fantastic Station wonder if they are going to be broadcasting a bit longer than expected, does anyone know when all the staff where to be finished broadcasting on the station. ! Be a massive loss when it is wound down !

by the way how is it RTE Gold was the only RTE digital station to reduce their presenter output (weekends). 2XM and Pulse seem to not have cut any presenter slots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

by the way how is it RTE Gold was the only RTE digital station to reduce their presenter output (weekends). 2XM and Pulse seem to not have cut any presenter slots...
    They probably work for free.

JDxtra wrote: »
    They probably work for free.

RTE Gold weekend presenters were nearly doing it for free

RTE Gold won't go on FM. Especially in the current climate when other stations are struggling. Probably going to continue online only.

RTE Gold won't go on FM. Especially in the current climate when other stations are struggling. Probably going to continue online only.

Saorview also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

What is it with RTE announcing that they are going to withdraw a service only to backtrack ? We've had closing Lw 252, selling the RTE guide, closing lyrics limerick studios, closing Aertel. It's an absolutely terrible way to run an organization, you wouldn't see such carry on in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Long_Wave wrote: »
    What is it with RTE announcing that they are going to withdraw a service only to backtrack ? We've had closing Lw 252, selling the RTE guide, closing lyrics limerick studios, closing Aertel. It's an absolutely terrible way to run an organization, you wouldn't see such carry on in the private sector.

It's simply kite flying.

The private sector doesn't work the same way organisations such as RTE do. If RTE announce something and there's sufficient political backlash then they find a few quid down the back of the sofa to do a U turn.

Gold will be live from tomorrow..Will, Rick, but with additional shows Keith walsh, Michael Cahill.

Would have picked someone else (there are plenty to chose from in RTE) over K walsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't care who's on air there. The station just isn't the same without live presenters. Might as well be playing Spotify otherwise. It's nice to have Gold as something to listen to at the moment. It's a welcome respite from the depressing wall-to-wall Covid-19 coverage on Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

4 Live shows each weekday now

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1242022665562533888?s=20

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1242022669786193920?s=20
    So from today, and every weekday for the foreseeable future,
    @RTEGold
    is moving from 2 to 4 live shows every weekday.

7am -
    @willleahy

10am -
    @rickoshea

1pm -
    @KeithWalsh2fm

4pm -
    @michaelc_radio

We'll try to be your oasis of calm and music.

Why do they say it's for the 'foreseeable future' when Gold and all the other stations are scheduled to close in April?

As long as the current format of RTE GOLD is not ruined by playing the usual worn out Greatest Hits of 60s/70s/80s/90s

Why do they say it's for the 'foreseeable future' when Gold and all the other stations are scheduled to close in April?

Hopefully forever..not just Corona Virus times

They have been given a reprieve!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    They have been given a reprieve!

Is that confirmed? I haven't seen any official statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

I heard BIGGY SMALLS played this afternoon.
    The fact that this is now 'Gold' makes a lad few very old.

• Advertisement

Howard100 wrote: »
    I heard BIGGY SMALLS played this afternoon.
    The fact that this is now 'Gold' makes a lad few very old.

Will already plays some chart and recent hits on his breakfast show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

salmocab wrote: »
    RTÉ gold is easily RTEs best output.

I used to think that. I find it's gone drastically downhill of late.

Is Aidan Leonard still out on leave? Will mentioned that he would be part of the st patricks day top 100...was he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Is it just me or is the stream absolutely crap? Keeps breaking up!

And jumping about - currently flipping between Prodigy and Joy Division.

Shakyfan wrote: »

Seems OK there, not peaking in terms of people listening online (about 1,300). Radio 1 has 17,000 (also not peaking). Busy, but they've had more.

Maybe your local internet connection or wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Shakyfan wrote: »

i have just had a check and it's working fine for me.
    that's not to say it wasn't having issues earlier i don't know.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Might have been my connection! Trying it through the Radio Player app and it seems OK there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭RINO87

Seems OK there, not peaking in terms of people listening online (about 1,300). Radio 1 has 17,000 (also not peaking). Busy, but they've had more.

Maybe your local internet connection or wifi?

How do you see these numbers, out of interest, or are you an admin... I've always wondered do these numbers take into account streams provided by a third party. I mostly listen on liveradio.ie because it works great on my android box.

Back on topic just heard an ad on Radio 1 saying Gold and Radio 1 will be simulcast on Sat/Sun afternoons in place of the sport, which is good, something about that Saturday Sounds chap just grinds my gears

I'm not an admin, just curious. :)

You can pull listener stats from some (not all) streaming servers directly. RTE have two streaming servers with stations on both. LiveRadio, TuneIn etc. don't have their own streams or relays - they are just a directory service, and listener traffic just gets directed back to the broadcasters server.

• Advertisement

RTE Gold on RTE Radio 1 right now. Playing Snap and Rhythm Is A Dancer. Strange times when R1 are playing this! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,128 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strange times when RTE Gold play ads and news! Took me a while to realise what was different...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Of course, if the audience numbers/commercial advertisers insist on RTÉ Gold being more widely available on FM across daytime beyond the current Sat/Sun afternoons on RTÉ Radio 1, it will bring further pressure on RTÉ to re-consider all their options. I would imagine the private independent commercial radio sector would not welcome RTÉ Gold on FM unless RTÉ was required to close another existing RTÉ national radio service. The existing RTÉ "Digital Only" stations cannot sustain themselves as channels like RTÉ Gold, RTÉ Pulse, RTÉ 2XM, RTÉ junior/RTÉ chill and RTÉ Radio 1 Extra cannot run commercial advertising. It was unusual to hear ads today while tuning into the music on GOLD but then I remembered I was listening to it via RTÉ Radio 1 FM feed which would still need to carry adverts as a national FM station. These unusual times could result in RTÉ GOLD being given a reprieve in some form.

Will RTÉ Gold eventually replace RTÉ 2fm or RTÉ Lyric fm or else share bandwidth with one of these national FM stations at certain hours of the day/night to gain a further foothold on FM as I think it will gain more FM airtime after the GOLD on Radio 1 experiments?
    Will Leahy is really plugging how to access the station today!

Will Leahy always promotes RTE Gold and he is a true radio man. I can tell he longs for the old days of 2FM..like many of us do.

His playlist was very safe today, as RTE Gold normally plays more obscure stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

What’s the big deal in RTE Gold all of a sudden, The only reason it was on RTE Radio 1 today is because there was no sport

What’s the big deal in RTE Gold all of a sudden, The only reason it was on RTE Radio 1 today is because there was no sport

Promoting RTE Gold to a larger mainstream audience. Also, they might as well simulcast the same music output from 2 to 6 while no sport is on, rather than having it on 2 different stations.

• Advertisement

I suppose it made little or no sense having a separate programme playing music & listener requests all through Sat/Sun afternoons for the weeks and possibly months ahead while live sports and many other events have had to cease during the Covid-19 global pandemic.

We already had a number of weekends of "Saturday Sounds" & "Sunday Sounds" with various presenters while Saturday Sport & Sunday Sport was taken off air. RTÉ Gold could have been used to fill the gap over last few weekends although; today was the first time they chose to simulcast RTÉ Gold on RTÉ Radio 1 during the afternoon and they were inundated with requests from home & abroad so much so that they stopped reading out their Text number.

RTÉ still has the same funding crisis which could now become a lot worse as the economy shrinks with so many businesses out of action or curtailed. The whole uncertainty surrounding the length of time that things will remain shut makes it all the more fascinating.

BBC and ITV will also have to fill a number of gaps as filming on soap/drama serials like EastEnders, Casualty, Holby City, Doctors, Coronation Street, Emmerdale is either curtailed or ceased. On RTÉ tv Fair City and Winning Streak have also been effected while The Late Late Show has Miriam O'Callaghan as a stand-in presenter last night and no studio audience.

RTÉ to launch "Operation Covid Nation" in April fronted by Kathryn Thomas and they want to hear from households across the country. The team from "Operation Transformation" have a plan to help people stay healthy, in mind and body, as people are having to live apart from family and friends and the normal routine of everyday life.

I heard some reports that RTÉ Gold along with it's other Digital Only stations were originally set to close down during the month of April but this may now change in the case of RTÉ Gold although this has not been officially confirmed by RTÉ.

Is the high cost of RTE digtal radio the actual DAB platform?
    I doubt many people listen on DAB radios anyway at home or in new/UK imported cars.

Surely RTE should just take the 6 or so digital stations off DAB only (BAI already seeking interested parties for this licence?) and keep all of the stations on Saorview, Virgin, RTE and other streaming Apps, RTE Radio player...would not cost much?

Does anyone know how much it is costing RTE to keep Gold running. What is the biggest outlay? Is it the presenters and backroom staff? The DAB network? Today FM has online radio stations that play 80s, 90s and alternative music playlists. I assume they don't cost much to run or they wouldn't be there

Is the high cost of RTE digtal radio the actual DAB platform?
    I doubt many people listen on DAB radios anyway at home or in new/UK imported cars.

Surely RTE should just take the 6 or so digital stations off DAB only (BAI already seeking interested parties for this licence?) and keep all of the stations on Saorview, Virgin, RTE and other streaming Apps, RTE Radio player...would not cost much?

dab is the only actual transmission cost i would expect as saorview exists anyway and will continue to do so, and online would cost butttons, a pc in a rack room and whatever music licensing, they already have the hosting as they host all station streams on 2 servers anyway.
    any paid presenters would likely be redeployed within the organisation, pulse's presenters are non-paid i believe.
    radio 1 extra might be a cost if any unique programming is procured for it, i presume rtejr radio is just a relay of the audio from the television station.

I think they had more live presented shows on RTÉ Gold until late 2019 then it was scaled back to just Will Leahy on breakfast and Rick O'Shea in recent months.

Now all of that is about change again as RTÉ Gold is to expand from TWO to FOUR live shows as from Monday 30th March as follows:

07:00am - 10:00am Gold Breakfast with Will Leahy

10.00am - 1:00pm Rick O'Shea

1:00pm - 4:00pm Afternoon Gold with Keith Walsh

4:00pm - 7:00pm More Music Drive with Michael Cahill

RTÉ really needs to bite the bullet and sort out which of it's Radio/TV stations it considers essential or core to it's existence and concentrate on them instead of continuing to spread itself too thinly. RTÉ Gold deserves much better support if it is a station that has to keep Radio 1 going at inconvenient times. They had a competition prize worth just €50 to give away yesterday which was put up by both RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ Gold and I'm not sure if a sponsor was also involved! Less channels with quality output has to be the way to go especially if the expected recession does hit in the months ahead following the Coronavirus national and global pandemic. Government and the taxpayer will not be in the financial position to absorb an increase in the TV Licence Fee so; very worrying times ahead for RTÉ and many others.

I gather RTÉ Gold will continue to be simulcast on RTÉ Radio 1 from 2:00pm - 6:00pm every Saturday with Will Leahy and every Sunday afternoon with Rick O'Shea for the foreseeable future during the current emergency.

• Advertisement

We're in the middle of a pandemic so any talk of RTE's restructuring is gone out the window. Will keeping Gold on the air for a while longer really make much difference? Arguably it is providing a public service by giving people something else to listen to apart from Covid 19 misery on Radio 1. I don't have an issue with the station being used on Radio 1 either. Is it not a better use of resources than to bring in another presenter to do a different show on Saturdays? It's simply benefiting from being in the right place at the right time and it's nice to have for now. I've no doubt that Gold ill still be axed when all this is over. RTE's future hinges on a lot more than whether it keeps Gold on air though. Its budget is probably a fraction of 2FM's, for example.

I think they had more live presented shows on RTÉ Gold until late 2019 then it was scaled back to just Will Leahy on breakfast and Rick O'Shea in recent months.

Yes there were some live and recorded shows on RTE Gold for 2 or 3 years until end of 2019..Lorcan Murray, Micky Mac, Eric Moore, Al Dunne, Nails Mahoney, Marian Farrell, John Daly etc.

Hard to believe RTE Gold has been on the air since May 2007..started off by John Clarke if I'm not mistaken and was only a limited 24 hour music service with very common oldies playlisted.
    As of now, RTE Gold has lasted longer than Atlantic 252!!

Tork wrote: »
    We're in the middle of a pandemic so any talk of RTE's restructuring is gone out the window. Will keeping Gold on the air for a while longer really make much difference? Arguably it is providing a public service by giving people something else to listen to apart from Covid 19 misery on Radio 1. I don't have an issue with the station being used on Radio 1 either. Is it not a better use of resources than to bring in another presenter to do a different show on Saturdays? It's simply benefiting from being in the right place at the right time and it's nice to have for now. I've no doubt that Gold ill still be axed when all this is over. RTE's future hinges on a lot more than whether it keeps Gold on air though. Its budget is probably a fraction of 2FM's, for example.

I've no issue with RTÉ Gold being more widely available especially during the current emergency.

Just not sure RTÉ senior management has the luxury of mothballing it's entire restructuring plan even in the current climate as the sh1t will still hit the fan if it makes poor choices in the weeks/months ahead after all this is over unless; it is strictly used for essential public service broadcasting such as additional news/current affairs coverage to alert the public on the latest developments as they arise.

Loss of commercial advertising, less prospect of a TV Licence Fee increase do not bode well for RTÉ as the country will have to make very hard unpopular choices in the time ahead. One of the main political parties, Fianna Fáil who are in negotiations with the outgoing Fine Gael led administration have made it known that the country needs a government with a strong majority as they have said the next government formed will need to make some tough decisions and it cannot do this if it is looking over it's shoulder all the time. Sinn Féin has gone very quiet so perhaps they no longer feel the momentum is with them.

As for RTÉ Gold, I am now of the view that it will be given a reprieve even when the current Covid-19 emergency is over. I believe that the younger audience demographic that tunes into 2FM would be well able to access it via digital, online, smartphone methods if this cohort supports such a move whereas; RTÉ Gold would have a much older audience (closer to RTÉ Radio 1) and would probably gain a lot more listeners if it was made available full time on FM. None of the digital-only stations had much (if any) of a marketing budget as they cannot generate commercial advertising revenue.

dab is the only actual transmission cost i would expect as saorview exists anyway and will continue to do so, and online would cost butttons, a pc in a rack room and whatever music licensing, they already have the hosting as they host all station streams on 2 servers anyway.
    any paid presenters would likely be redeployed within the organisation, pulse's presenters are non-paid i believe.
    radio 1 extra might be a cost if any unique programming is procured for it, i presume rtejr radio is just a relay of the audio from the television station.

I went and checked the audio feed on "RTÉ junior radio" this morning versus the output on the RTÉjr tv channel at the same time and they had completely different programmes. I don't think RTÉjr tv channel and the RTÉ junior radio channel have any commercial advertising as a source of revenue.

I'm sure RTÉ 2 TV would often show material shown on RTÉjr TV channel alright although; it may not always be broadcast at the exact same time.

I wonder if RTÉ will be making any formal announcements in relation to the extension of RTÉ Gold in the coming days or over Easter?

It will also be interesting to see if if all of the other RTÉ Digital-Only Radio stations will close over Easter or continue indefinitely during the Covid-19 emergency?

Gold is the one worth saving, maybe Radio 1 Extra. They could keep these going online, on Saorview and Virgin Media.

I went and checked the audio feed on "RTÉ junior radio" this morning versus the output on the RTÉjr tv channel at the same time and they had completely different programmes. I don't think RTÉjr tv channel and the RTÉ junior radio channel have any commercial advertising as a source of revenue.

I'm sure RTÉ 2 TV would often show material shown on RTÉjr TV channel alright although; it may not always be broadcast at the exact same time.

thanks for that.
    I wonder if RTÉ will be making any formal announcements in relation to the extension of RTÉ Gold in the coming days or over Easter?

It will also be interesting to see if if all of the other RTÉ Digital-Only Radio stations will close over Easter or continue indefinitely during the Covid-19 emergency?

hard to know what will happen.
    it will certainly be interesting to see what they do alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id love the DAB offering to keep going, were getting to the point where there are enough cars with DAB coming on stream to get listeners in the all important drive time sector,

but if it must be FM , I would love to see pulse and gold remain, ad free , both excellent listening and the only RTE productions I've ever given a slight toss about.

RTE pulse is the progressive home of new Irish hip hop which is never a position I ever thought our national broadcaster would occupy.

I wonder how effective is RTÉ 2XM ?
    Was the station originally intended as an extension of 2FM in some way?

And what about "RTÉ chill" from 9:00pm until around 07:00am
    (RTÉ chill shares the same LCN slot number with RTÉ junior radio when the younger listeners have gone to bed)

"RTÉ Radio 1 Extra" seems to be a mix of RTÉ Radio 1 output (from both FM and LW 252) along with other international public service broadcasters like BBC World Service etc;

If they manage to get "RTÉ Gold" on FM on a full-time basis with the ability of running advertising it would perform a lot better in the audience ratings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gold would be fantastic on FM. Especially given that the future of Classic Hits/4FM is always up in the air given their inability to get off the ground.

It would be far better on FM than the rudderless mess that is 2FM. I'm slap bang in the middle of 2FM's target market, I often listen to similar stations (Spin/Beat/RedFM/BBC R1/Capital) but rarely listen to 2FM. There was a fantastic opportunity to reinvent 2FM in 2014 to perfectly fit its target market but that failed. Game On has no place on 2FM. Dave Fanning has no place on 2FM. Colm Hayes had no place on 2FM. The morning show with Jennifer is very questionable on 2FM. BBC Radio 1 has some excellent mainstream and niche dance music shows and really made the most of the resurgance of dance and house music over the last few years but 2FM failed here. BBC Radio 1 on Fridays at 6pm has Scott Mills playing dance anthems leading into Annie Mac. 2FM has a sports show. Big contrast right there.

These shows have their merits but on a market driven youth oriented radio station they have no place. 2FM has no real identity and at this stage it never really will.

A BBC Radio 2 type station with Will Leahy and other similar radio personalities playing music aimed at the older generation, that actually listen to radio en masse still would be a success imo. A sort of a blend between Heart and BBC Radio 2 if you will.

RTE Gold is probably seen as a 'back up' station now during the Corona Virus, within RTE.
    I think over the coming months, we'll see a lot of Radio and TV presenters given evening and weekend shows on Gold to give them something to do!!!....like what is happening with Des Cahill and John Kenny over on Radio 1.

The Radio 1 schedule is crowded now, with all types of programmes, with more music shows now more than ever on the schedule. So room there for idle presenters.

Radio 1 Extra has very little original programmes made for the station, unless they are syndicated or produced externally from news agencies or independent producers such as Dusty Rhodes' Tech programme etc.

RTE are very foolish to let their digital stations go. Not many people listen through actual DAB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement