Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The year ahead in Irish genealogy

Options
  • 30-12-2019 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

I remember doing a thread with the same title a few years ago and figured it was time for another. Anybody any idea what is definitely happening in 2020 and what might? Anything in particular on your wishlist?

I'd love all the cancelled books to go online. I'm growing increasingly impatient for the civil deaths to go back to their start point.

John Grenham mentioned a few records back in February in his blog - Estate records and Land Commission records among them.

My big wish, for personal reasons, is for the BNA (and therefore FMP) to scan more editions of the Newry papers past their current available dates.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, I know we'll be getting the early marriages on irishgenealogy.ie. I had it from the horse's mouth at BTOP. He used that lovely vague word "soon".

Afaik, there are no plans to put the cancelled books online.

I'd love to see some progress on at least beginning work on the 1926 census release. Hoping to do a bit of lobbying on that.

On a personal note, I'd love if one particular person would reply to a message on Ancestry and agree to take a DNA test (for which I am willing to pay) to help a pet theory of mine.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I still want to find my Granny, long dead now. It looks like she deserted her child. :( I'd like to hear her side of the story if I could only track down her second family.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm eager to hear a bit more detail regarding the resurrection of Public Records Office.
    They are promising a lot and I hope they can deliver.

Also, re the scanning and indexing of the memorials at the Registry of Deeds - fingers crossed they scan in colour.
    So much is missed when only done in black and white.

And regarding my own research I hope to finally go to print with two of my primary projects.
    The last few bits of the jigsaw seem to take for ever to nail down.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm eager to hear a bit more detail regarding the resurrection of Public Records Office.
    They are promising a lot and I hope they can deliver.

I have this dream. And I don't mean a sleeping dream, I mean an awake dream. I'm reading this book at the moment called The Battle of the Four Courts by Michael Fewer and I now realise this dream actually has merit, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. So many people came and went from the complex between its occupation and its destruction.

The dream is that someone had the foresight to 'rescue' one of the burned and destroyed censuses in it's entirety and it's sitting in a chest or some such just waiting to be found, intact. If I had to pick one it would be 1841, for I assume obvious reasons.

There's no harm in dreaming. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

One other thing personal to me which would be very welcome...

End the practice of denying people adopted in Ireland the right to know who their birth parents are.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement