Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    You know what I find an issue at the moment is does anybody actually know or best 11? I imagine if we all stuck up our best 11 everyone fit that they would be very different??

That's a fair point. I'm going to lose it if we play Xhaka at LB again. Just because he is left footed doesn't mean he is a LB. He doesn't have the same brain as a defender. He's played well in midfield which has been great and surprising to me I would definitely of been on the he's crap train before. We also have to play a forward up front. I know Nketiah isn't exactly prolific but there was no one up front playing in the forward role against Villarreal which was criminal, can't win a game if there's no outlet there.

I'd rather Artea give the kids a run in the league at this stage, we aren't going to qualify for anything int he league, I'd rather them get some experience, does it make a difference if we finish 9th or 12/13th? Both are dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

OmegaGene wrote: »
    they trained in spain yesterday i think

mainly on the plain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    mainly on the plain?

Get your coat...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I read an article quoting Martin Keown saying that Arteta doesn’t like Martinelli.
    If that’s true it might explain why we started without a CF on Thursday. I really hope it’s not true but I just don’t understand the selection for that game. I actually thought Pepe was selected up front as part of some new tactics but he spent the night out on the wing. A bit baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

I read an article quoting Martin Keown saying that Arteta doesn’t like Martinelli.
    If that’s true it might explain why we started without a CF on Thursday. I really hope it’s not true but I just don’t understand the selection for that game. I actually thought Pepe was selected up front as part of some new tactics but he spent the night out on the wing. A bit baffling.

He’s not fond of a lot of players, Saliba & Martinelli are two of the most promising players in the club and they have been seriously mishandled.

Then you look at his whole find the mole saga

Then how he treated Auba publicly re the Spurs game

Then you think about his first week in the job talking about rebuilding the family feel, positive energies yada yada

His word never match his action

Tbh I lost a bit of respect too last week with his words about the Kroenkes, telling the fans if they got to know them they would think better of them. Silent Stan has shown zero interest and his son on the fan chat last week was arrogant and dismissive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soups123 wrote: »
    He’s not fond of a lot of players, Saliba & Martinelli are two of the most promising players in the club and they have been seriously mishandled.

Then you think about his first week in the job talking about rebuilding the family feel, positive energies yada yada

Tbh I lost a bit of respect too last week with his words about the Kroenkes, telling the fans if they got to know them they would think better of them. Silent Stan has shown zero interest and his son on the fan chat last week was arrogant and dismissive.

I know it dragged on and annoyed, well, everybody.

But the Ozil debacle was crazy. He played ten league games before March last year. Then Covid hit, and he never set foot on the pitch in a league game for us again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Arteta taking matters on his own hands and decided to be player manager. 😂

https://twitter.com/ZRAFC/status/1388476249044103169?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Yves Bissouma is a puzzle to me. I've bigged him up on here and elsewhere for 2 years or more and we could have got him for 20mil ish last summer. Now there's talk of a bidding war between Arsenal, Liverpool and United which I seriously doubt we will win.

I know they sacked the scouts but it didn't take Peter Taylor to figure that one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Soups123 wrote: »

I agree with you.
    Another
    Not playing Martinelli on Thursday was a serious snub to the young lad. Our two big CF’s were out and rather than play Martinelli there he decided to play without one. He couldn’t very well play Balogun instead of him as he’s a complete novice, so he played neither.

• Advertisement

Wele channeled his inner Bergkamp today. What a goal!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

5star02707 wrote: »
    Arteta taking matters on his own hands and decided to be player manager. ��

https://twitter.com/ZRAFC/status/1388476249044103169?s=19

Probably still a better midfielder than most of the lot we have

Not sure I'm fond of managers joining in on the training. There is a hint of arrogance about it. Would it be a thing for me if we were winning all around us lately? probably not tbh. However, there is a trend between managers joining into training and having short management careers. Ruud Gullit for example used drive his players absolutely mad doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So, basically anything and everything then

https://twitter.com/ZRAFC/status/1388613066322026497?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The quotes above are giving me Moyes at United vibes

The quotes above are giving me Moyes at United vibes

Pure deflection tactics. Any other regime, id say he was finished. He has a fighting chance with the Kroenkes. If they do sacrifice the lamb, id say they'll probably offer Gunnersaurus the management job such is their knowledge and lack of interest.

So, basically anything and everything then

https://twitter.com/ZRAFC/status/1388613066322026497?s=19

Funny, I was just thinking how big a problem it is that we're not really really good at anything. I mean we're okay at a lot of things, but there are no areas of the game at all that you can say we're really strong and can always be relied on. Such as, for example, defending. Or attacking. Or dominating possesion. Or making saves. Or making substitutions. Or set pieces. Or (my least favourite) intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'm not going to get into a row with anyone here, or at least I hope not to.

But I am very frustrated at the immediate response by the supporters here to Mikel's term so far. So to that length, I'd like to remind you all of the previous few years.

Long time head manager leaves after 20+ years in charge. He saw the sinking ship coming, jumped off it.

The disjointed appointees made in those final few years have an internal squabble, meanwhile an owner appointed head of recruitment and a super agent have a row, and one leaves. The wrong one stays. About this time Mikel arrives. The **** show is only getting going.

He has to off load the idiots that the other idiots hired. The dressing room is in disarray. Mikel takes over with a team in the sh1ts. Then Covid hits. Then the game stops because Mikel gets the virus. A GLOBAL PANDEMIC! It re-starts. He wins the FA cup and the shield.

Moving on, he moves on... The wage stealers etc. He is only now starting to build his squad. He is a smart, footballer intellectual and he is only now finding out the full frailties of his team. He tried a unique concept last Thursday, and it failed, but I guess he learned a lot more from that, than we did here on boards.

I. For one. And my family (for 5). Are willing to give him until at least 2 more windows to get this team set. If we are not challenging after that, then??? Maybe yes.

Thing to remember is, this was always going to be long term. We just happen to believe Mikel is the person to lead the change, and it's OK if you don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If we don't win the EL Arteta has to go in my opinion.

He's been here close to 18 months and we've gone backwards, both in terms of results and style of play.

Very good post.

I'm just struggling with the state of the club, very frustrated.

For whatever it's worth, I'm not at all calling for his head. At all.

But I do question some of what's going on on the pitch. I dearly want him to succeed, but some things (the Willian craic and the Ozil business, for example) certainly don't add up from a football point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think the squad we have no is as good as anything we've had in the last 15 years. On paper we should be winning most games yet we are losing to teams that we shouldn't. The only real reason for that is work rate. It's no good being a talented player and not bothering your arse to work at it - you'll just be overtaken by harder working mediocre players.

I realise that the team tactics have a lot to do with it but there are teams we should be beating regardless of the tactics and we are labouring against them. Most of the time we go behind due to lack of concentration or laziness more than anything else.

I thank Arteta has a fear of losing about him. I would love him just to pick a side that has energy and work about them - I think we'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

If we don't win the EL Arteta has to go in my opinion.

He's been here close to 18 months and we've gone backwards, both in terms of results and style of play.

He has been dealing with more than footballing problems in that time. He took over a complete sh1t show. I can't understand how some of you guys don't see that. He has been working under the most extreme of difficult conditions. The club was (and is still to a lesser extent) in complete crap mode. He needs time. There's much more to this than manager issues. If you don't see that? Then we can't discuss this together!!! Oiche mhaith!! :rolleyes:

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think the squad we have no is as good as anything we've had in the last 15 years.

It's not the full squad but I made this post a few months back: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115631124&postcount=1339

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It's not the full squad but I made this post a few months back: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115631124&postcount=1339

I get what you are trying to say and to a degree I would agree but Wenger came in at a point where everything was changing and was ahead of the game in terms of signing overseas players. For example, pre-Wenger how many of our players were international players and regular starters (outside of England)?

If none of the other clubs are looking to sign from abroad, it then becomes very easy to poach the best players.

Without investment, which Kronke won't front, we can't compete with other big clubs in terms of wages or successes, so why would players come here to finish 10th on a "****" wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

The absolute blind faith in Arteta is staggering. He literally never managed any team whatsoever before us.
    Anyway we’ve talked that to death and I’m willing to put that aside for now.
    If he wins the EL he'll certainly deserve an opportunity to build his own team over the next year or more. However if he doesn’t then serious reflection is needed before the club invests any money into his plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

It's very simple for Arteta, he has to start winning more football matches to keep his job long term.

Anything to do with not liking players etc is a guessing game. We don't see training and training is everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

omega man wrote: »
    The absolute blind faith in Arteta is staggering. He literally never managed any team whatsoever before us.
    Anyway we’ve talked that to death and I’m willing to put that aside for now.
    If he wins the EL he'll certainly deserve an opportunity to build his own team over the next year or more. However if he doesn’t then serious reflection is needed before the club invests any money into his plans.

That's it for me too. The blind faith without any history whatsoever to support it. As you say, it's talked to death but it's the vigorous support of his "process" when it's clearly not working that astounds me.

6 months ago, when big doubts were really starting to be obvious, people said he should be judged at the end of the season. Well, we are almost there and we are in 11th place.....are people now moving goalposts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,065 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Breaking news: Buttons doesn't think Arsenal players a lre any good. :eek:

Hardly a shocker. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Good team and a good bench. Ceballos and Odegaard together should be interesting. Great to see Ryan in goals, hope it stays that way too. COYG

No Balogun in the squad

Disappointing that he cant make the squad but Willian starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

DenMan wrote: »
    Good team and a good bench. Ceballos and Odegaard together should be interesting. Great to see Ryan in goals, hope it stays that way too. COYG

Good team?

Xhaka at LB again
    ceballos and elneney in MF
    Willian
    Willian
    Willian
    No Balogun

?????!

Deffo gonna loose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

How could this be considered a good line up? Ceballos and Odegaard played together on Thursday, the only interesting thing about it was how ****e they both were

They've a chance to rectify things today now. I think it looks like a good team on paper with the potential to win well. We'll find out soon enough, Ryan is a calm old school style goalkeeper and Auba back starting. COYG

We've also been crying out for Martinelli to start more games and low and behold he starts. Let's have some positivity in here for a change. It's becoming a rarity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Why on earth Nketiah is in the squad ahead of Balogun makes no sense to me. We all know Nketiah is limited. At least put Balogun on the bench and maybe give him bit of a run depending on how the game is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Our saving grace today is that Newcastle’s best player is ineligible :p

We have to be mindful of Shelvey if he's starting. A very dangerous player on a good day but too inconsistent over the course of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Happy enough with that lineup. Good to see Saka and ESR getting a rest, he was always gonna pick Willian today wasn't he?

Our league season is a bust so not too pushed about today. Minutes for Auba is good, I'm hoping Gabriel stays in the team instead of Mari from this point too.

"the final five premier league games are very important for Arsenal".

No they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Get in.

The Egyptian Messi

That ball from David Luiz to Bellerin, lovely.

haha thats a decent strike.

Good man Mo!

Whilst not his biggest fan, Luiz is probably our best centre back. Definitely should start himself and Gabriel on Thursday.

Just saw a stat there, Arsenal have made 9 changes today since their last league game. It's the first time from the club since May 1993. 28 years ago!

Newcastle are a team who spend far too much time on the ground IMO. If they spent more time playing instead of looking for hand outs from the officials they wouldn't be in the situation they are in.

Utd fans are on the pitch at Old Trafford protesting en-masse against their American owners, the Glazers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Utd fans are on the pitch at Old Trafford protesting en-masse against their American owners, the Glazers.

How did they get on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

70 mins for Xhaka to survive not being sent off now... I don't fancy his chances.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement