Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowed Oak Plank

Options
  • 28-03-2021 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

HI All,

I never worked with hardwood before and I'm quite new to woodwork. I ordered a 2.2m long, 450mm deep and 25mm think piece of oak. I planned to sand it and treat it and use as top of a built in entertainment unit.

The piece came in early January and I put it in my shed standing longways on the floor, not flat but upright laying longways against a wall.

I didn't do anything with it for 2 months until March and when I went back to it the plank had warped very badly.

Did I store it wrong, should it have been laid flat on the ground? Or should I have just sanded and treated it straight away?

Any advice appreciated....I know it is completely my fault and a rookie error.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Dats_rite wrote: »
    HI All,

I never worked with hardwood before and I'm quite new to woodwork. I ordered a 2.2m long, 450mm deep and 25mm think piece of oak. I planned to sand it and treat it and use as top of a built in entertainment unit.

The piece came in early January and I put it in my shed standing longways on the floor, not flat but upright laying longways against a wall.

I didn't do anything with it for 2 months until March and when I went back to it the plank had warped very badly.

Did I store it wrong, should it have been laid flat on the ground? Or should I have just sanded and treated it straight away?

Any advice appreciated....I know it is completely my fault and a rookie error.

Pic of the bowed wood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

At 2.2 metres long it was never going to stay straight. Uptake of moisture probably contributed to the bowing. There is simply no way you can 'straighten' the board now unless you are willing to plane and thickness it. I'd redesign the unit so that you can cut the board to make it more manageable.From an aesthetic point of view, just sanding the board will still leave a rough surface and not show the full beauty of the grain - of course it you plane it it will reduce the thickness to something like 22mm.

Advertisement