Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    feel sorry for the lad, probably still be captain if he had stayed in france.

Also there was meant to be a lot of pissed off korean fans at his posponement of national service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,213 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »
    did anyone ever hear anything again about wilshere not going to be able to play again because of his bones?

somebody posted about it in here not too long ago

edit: is the new jersey out in the shops here yet?

I heard from a friend in London that there has been rumours circulating that Wilshere is unlikely to play next season due to injuries. I also read a post that suggested he might not play again. Obviously I hope both are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

City eyeing up a late bid for mvila
    Oh for fúck's sake! I knew they'd come snooping around at some point. I'm fine with them winning the league, it's this bullshít that pisses me off.
    I heard from a friend in London that there has been rumours circulating that Wilshere is unlikely to play next season due to injuries. I also read a post that suggested he might not play again. Obviously I hope both are incorrect.

I read that post too, which, to me, seems highly unlikely. How many player has this happened to in the past? Little to none from my memory.

He said himself he was training towards the end of last season before he picked up a niggle, which is normal in the recovery process.

While I'm not fully confident of him being 100% fit for the start of the season, I'd be fairly dismissive of people saying he'll not play next season at all, or for the rest of his life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's been made clear we aren't selling him either way.

Given his injury history I think the player would be taking the bigger risk going into his last season without any sort of insurance.If he gets another one of his 9 month injurys next season the offers on the table by then might not be anything like what he is being offered right now.

That's why I think he will sign.

I know you what did last summer.

not pay attention to quotes from the club/wenger about fabregas + nasri that's what

that statement, rumour or whatever about not selling him is worth less than a zimbabwean dollar tbh

I know you what did last summer.

not pay attention to quotes from the club/wenger about fabregas + nasri that's what

that statement, rumour or whatever about not selling him is worth less than a zimbabwean dollar tbh

Totally different situation!

As someone pointed out a while ago, RvP doesn't have the same advantage Fab and Nasri had. If RvP refuses to sign and then gets injured, he's gonna have trouble attracting bids and he'll have to come crawling back.

Plus he's no spring chicken like the other two.

Unique situations and you'd be foolish to compare them in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TBH nearly every major player arsenal have sold in the last year of their contracts that I can remember had a story saying they'd rather let them sit out the contract. I'll be very surprised if that happens.

Totally different situation!

As someone pointed out a while ago, RvP doesn't have the same advantage Fab and Nasri had. If RvP refuses to sign and then gets injured, he's gonna have trouble attracting bids and he'll have to come crawling back.

Plus he's no spring chicken like the other two.

Unique situations and you'd be foolish to compare them in that regard.

what are you talking about! there the exact same in the way i'm comparing them

club/wenger says were not selling cesc & nasri - yet they were sold

now saying were not selling RVP - would it surprise you if he was sold, wouldn't surprise me anyway

and how the hell are they "Unique situations and you'd be foolish to compare them in that regard"?

i've compared them above clear as day. The club say they won't sell but do.

if RVP doesn't sign, do you really think he'll be at arsenal? say for arguments sake he is + he gets injured as you say, then there's no obligation on arsenal to renew his contract you know

and what advantage had cesc + nasri over RVP now? That their younger? less injury prone?

Anyway whatever these 'advantages' are your bringing into have no bearing what so ever on them statements from the club, which as i said are worth fúck all when you look at the comments from last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Park omitted from South Korea's World Cup qualifier squad.
    Link here.

Isn't there some rule where a player can get out of his contract If he doesn't play in a certain % of games? Would have no problem with him if he did tried it. Really have to question the thinkin behind his signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

City eyeing up a late bid for mvila

F#CK CITY!
    F#CK THEIR POLICY ON BUYING UP ALL THE BEST PLAYERS WITH MONEY THEY DIDN'T EARN!
    F#CK THEM BUYING UP EVERYBODY ELSE'S TRANSFER TARGETS!
    F#CK THEM INFLATING TRANSFER FEES FOR EVERYBODY!
    F#CK THEM INFLATING WAGES FOR EVERYBODY!
    F#CK THEM (and their ilk) FOR F#CKING UP FOOTBALL!
    F#CK THEM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Ian Wright appointed part time First Team coach at MK Dons :)
    Hope all goes well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Galvasean wrote: »
    F#CK CITY!
    F#CK THEIR POLICY ON BUYING UP ALL THE BEST PLAYERS WITH MONEY THEY DIDN'T EARN!
    F#CK THEM!!!

It started with Chelsea and now that we've finally gained ground on them City are miles ahead.

FUCK THE MONEYBAGS!!!

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Ian Wright appointed part time First Team coach at MK Dons :)
    Hope all goes well for him.

Me too. I watched them the other night and though they lost they play a lovely brand of passing football. They are a couple of players short of being a very good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Really have no prob selling RVP for the right price
    Nothing gonna happen now till after the euros, so I'm gonna forget about till then

We have set up a meeting with kawaga hope we can sneak ahea of utd highly doubtfull though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Give him what he wants ....give him what he waaaaaaaaaaaaannnntsss !!! Robin Van Persie give him what he waaaaaaaaaaaaannntssss!!!!!!

On another note where is everyone hearing all the news about Kagawa and Mvilla ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Give him what he wants ....give him what he waaaaaaaaaaaaannnntsss !!! Robin Van Persie give him what he waaaaaaaaaaaaannntssss!!!!!!

On another note where is everyone hearing all the news about Kagawa and Mvilla ??

Should be plenty of rumours here to keep you going!

this is from nasri's twitter acc.
    Samir Nasri Official ‏@SamNasri19
    Wow just saw the article that the guardian made about my comment my apologies to the arsenal fans i never said something like this

edit: & piers morgan reckons he's investigating if nasri did give an interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

piers morgan reckons he's investigating if nasri did give an interview

Always good to have Morgan investigating things, he'll find the truth for us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Another day of absolute bollocks :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Viera should Bugger off. not funny what his doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

this is from nasri's twitter acc.

edit: & piers morgan reckons he's investigating if nasri did give an interview
    what article?

Ok after reading it the headline is sensational and he don't say that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think Vieira is pretty bitter at how he left; from what I remember from his book he was pretty much ****ed out the gap very quickly after being told otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

cson wrote: »
    I think Vieira is pretty bitter at how he left; from what I remember from his book he was pretty much ****ed out the gap very quickly after being told otherwise.

Wasn't he told it was his choice? Wenger wanted him to stay but wouldn't force him to?

RVP played 200 games in 7 years or so ! So instead of people saying we need to show ambition, how about people focus on loyalty.

That was a tweet from a season ticket holder I follow
    That's a terrible return for 7years picking up wages
    I'm with him a bit of loyailty in return would be nice

From what I read on Sky Sports, Vieira raises a very good point that no one has yet to bring up in regards to the RvP situation.
    We've all being talking about how were one or two or three players away from a title challenge, well, do you think everyone will want to stay after we sell Captain Vantastic and effectively surrender any possible title challenge?
    When Fabregas left we still had RvP and Nasri and Wilshere (playing), if he leaves this summer, we'll have no one world class. And we'll have more trouble bringing in players and keeping the ones we want to.

From what I read on Sky Sports, Vieira raises a very good point that no one has yet to bring up in regards to the RvP situation.
    We've all being talking about how were one or two or three players away from a title challenge, well, do you think everyone will want to stay after we sell Captain Vantastic and effectively surrender any possible title challenge?
    When Fabregas left we still had RvP and Nasri and Wilshere (playing), if he leaves this summer, we'll have no one world class. And we'll have more trouble bringing in players and keeping the ones we want to.

I really really don't care if we sell him. But we have too replace that's the big thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Knowing us we'll probably sell RVP for €25m & sign Owen to replace him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Perhaps...........RVP is holding out to see our ambition in the summer?

If Wenger has told him that we are going to deliver quality, then surely he will?

Its inconceviable that Wenger would tell RVP 'We're going to sign big players', then not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I didn't see it on Sky Sports but I suspect its pretty much what football 365 have printed & fairness to Vieira, I cant really argue.

http://www.football365.com/transfer-centre/7763067/VIEIRA-GUNNERS-MUST-KEEP-VAN-PERSIE

Galvasean wrote: »
    F#CK CITY!
    F#CK THEM!!!

Like Gerry Adams once said "They haven't gone away you know".
    If Arsenal were doing it, i'm sure you would bin that Pyjama jersey and go and start supporting Swansea eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

meriwether wrote: »
    Perhaps...........RVP is holding out to see our ambition in the summer?

If Wenger has told him that we are going to deliver quality, then surely he will?

Its inconceviable that Wenger would tell RVP 'We're going to sign big players', then not?

At the moment all he can say is he's gong to try and improve the quality of the squad. Just because Arsene wants to buy certain players, that's no guarantee that they will come.

greendom wrote: »
    At the moment all he can say is he's gong to try and improve the quality of the squad. Just because Arsene wants to buy certain players, that's no guarantee that they will come.

Agreed.
    I think RVP probably wants to leave, and i won't hate him for it, it's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I'd say RVP required greater assurance than 'want to buy'.

Podolski was sewn up early, I'm going to take a punt here and say that the M'Villa deal has been worked on for a while.

The level of twitter/media agreement that a deal was done last week (only to have Wenger pur cold water on it) suggests to me that something is up.

Wenger pouring cold water on it could be to minimise speculation, as well as the fact that the french season isn't over yet.

I think and hope two lessons have been learned:
    -Our squad isn't good enough
    -****ing about like we did last summer is utterly destructive.

If those lesseons haven't been learned, well we may as well roll up our tent, because its all pointless anyeay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

While I agree with what you're saying, I don't think that improving our league finishing position can be called destructive.

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    While I agree with what you're saying, I don't think that improving our league finishing position can be called destructive.

Good point

That is thanks to Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool.
    Don't forget they were ****e in the League.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RVP 11 wrote: »
    That is thanks to Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool.
    Don't forget they were ****e in the League.

Or you could say Arsenal were the third best team in the league, level of success is only relative to the level of your opponents failure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Or you could say Arsenal were the third best team in the league, level of success is only relative to the level of your opponents failure :D

This is true, but will we get off so lightly next year ?

This is true, but will we get off so lightly next year ?

Without RVP, definately not.
    We all know we can't compete with the likes of the big boys with spending power, we still need to compete with those around us who not only are spending, but spending wisely, like Newcastle for eg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Without RVP, definately not.
    We all know we can't compete with the likes of the big boys with spending power, we still need to compete with those around us who not only are spending, but spending wisely, like Newcastle for eg.

I think we've always spent wisely but the problem is we've never been adding to the squad, just replacing holes left by departures.

This is kind of what Vieira is getting at and he's 100% correct.

If we sell RVP and replace him, our summer is basically going to be the exact same as last year in that we need to find a new fulcrum for the team and bed in some new players that have to go into the starting 11 straight away.

If we keep RVP, and sign someone good like M'Vila to go along with Pod, then we're moving forward. We could play the exact same starting 11 as we did this year and possibly hope to achieve about the same result, but we've also got the impact of a couple of new top level players to look forward to.

You just can't hope to compete or be a big club if you keep selling your best players, regardless of what else you do in the transfer market.

Progress is not Ramsey and Arteta taking over from Fab and Nasri, progress is adding M'Vila to a midfield that already contains Wilshire, Arteta and Song.

what article?

read these link, should keep you busy for a while

Well if you were to look at things from the Boards point of view -

1. We sold our two best players and still managed third place and C.L. qualification.
    2. We made loads of money.
    3. We have a great manager who will get us into Europe even if we sell RVP.
    4. We can continue as we are.

That's what has been happening for years and it could continue until we don't make the Top 4 or C.L. Those twats seem to be happy not winning anything as long as they are making money and keeping the fans onside with loads of rubbish about strengthening and winning things.

Very true. It sickens me that although we have the richest owners (I may be wrong), they are more interested in becoming even richer whereas with the likes of Chelsea and City's owners are happy to pump hundreds of millions into the team.

I think this year could be different. We're always linked with some player at the start of the window but to be honest, I can't remember getting excited about any of them. Last year it was Gervihno, the year before it was Koscielny and the year before it was Vermaelen (although the latter 2 are reason to be happy now). This year though, wrapping up Podolski and the prospect of M'Vila coming too is huge reason to be excited. These are players rated highly and who would suit any big team in Europe. I think it's the case that the board surely realise now that if they let their last big star leave, it's only a matter of time before they stop seeing healthy profit due to both qualification for CL and fans buying tickets and merchandise. If that isn't how they see it, they need to cop on and wake up to the fact that Arsenal fans are growing tired of our perceived "lie down and let the big teams rape us" attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Y U NO BUY US ??????

Usmanov Russia's richest man recognized the value of Facebook Inc three years ago when he invested in the social networking company and now stands to enjoy a payday of around $1 billion, propelling him further ahead of Russia's oligarchs, who have largely stuck with oil and steel.

Alisher Usmanov, who topped Forbes magazine's annual list of Russia's richest investors in April, began his career making plastic bags and built his fortune in metals and mining. He is now worth $18.1 billion, up from $2.6 billion six years ago, according to Forbes.

It is Usmanov's technology-related bets that have set him apart from his country's rivals, and 2012 looks set to be a particularly lucrative year. Along with the Facebook stake that values the firm at 10 times what it was worth when he invested three years ago, Usmanov plans to float MegaFon, the $20 billion Russian telecoms firm he took control of last month.

"He has his fingers everywhere," said one Moscow-based financial source who said he knows Usmanov.

"With MegaFon and Facebook, it looks as though he'll be having a massive liquidity event. It's quite incredible. It could be that he creates a huge holding company ... or he could make a run at a big international company," the source said.

Usmanov, 58, born in the Soviet republic of Uzbekistan, also controls iron ore miner Metalloinvest, Russian daily Kommersant, television assets and has a stake in London soccer club Arsenal.

He's offered top put up money for transfers before but the board were having none of it, if I'm not mistaken? This was before Kroenke's take over.

He's offered top put up money for transfers before but the board were having none of it, if I'm not mistaken? This was before Kroenke's take over.

I don't understand? Why wouldn't they take money from an investor :confused:

I don't understand? Why wouldn't they take money from an investor :confused:

No idea! http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/13/alisher-usmanov-arsenal-invest

gosplan wrote: »
    I think we've always spent wisely but the problem is we've never been adding to the squad, just replacing holes left by departures.

paying massive wages for dead wood though cancels out the spending wisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Firstly, we're not sure exactly what he wanted for his cash.

Scondly, the board's focus has always been on running a sustainable football club. Like it or not, they've stuck to it. The ethos of the club is attacking football and sustainable economics.

Obviously, being sustainable counts for very little bar the slight moral victory as long as other clubs can just pinch our transfer targets because they're bankrolled so well.

Personally, I'd hope the FFP does something but won't be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement