Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens when we die?

• 01-11-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know there is a thread on the Atheists forum when the poll shows unsurprisingly a large number in favour of 'that's it' no after life or consciousness existing after death. It didn't show a I am undecided or similar option Where are you on this?

What do you believe happens when we die 135 votes

We go to an afterlife (heaven or hell)
    68% 93 votes
    That's it, there is no more
    2% 3 votes
    I am undecided but feel that's the end of it for me
    19% 26 votes
    I am undecided but feel there is some form of continued existance for me
    5% 7 votes
    I don't care or mind
    4% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

saabsaab wrote: »
    I know there is a thread on the Atheists forum when the poll shows unsurprisingly a large number in favour of 'that's it' no after life or consciousness existing after death. It didn't show a I am undecided or similar option Where are you on this?

I believe that’s it , nothing , I’m happy if that is the case to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Go to heaven for the weather but hell for the company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Just like there is nothing before you are born, the same is for when you die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I don't really like to discuss these things on forums because it brings out the worst in people, and it's just circular arguments with people who are over religious or just boring aul strident types twisting arguments and discussions .

I don't know what happens only we shut down, although when I do go I'd like it to be painless, peaceful and just basically dream that I'm going to sleep and that's it.

But discussing these topics with believer's or non believers is the same aul sht...

Enjoy your life OP live in the moment and forget about death :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

We all float, we all float down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

We lose access to our... personal consciousness, and rejoin the more... general-type consciousness from which we came.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

FourFourFM wrote: »
    We go to Cavan.

I thought Limbo was abolished.

C5EGStf.jpeg
    r2Romer.jpeg
    AFaINvJ.jpeg
    TZ56CHm.jpeg
    29yBCs8.jpeg
    4MnHmEG.jpeg
    UEARw5v.jpeg
    ByvCONh.jpeg

• Advertisement

LJSsrPx.jpeg
    4lIDXzl.jpeg
    EACeHKy.jpeg
    pLuj6Wr.jpeg
    6jvVQSY.jpeg
    CGvyNFh.jpeg
    7tIocyI.jpeg
    1WHvOys.jpeg
    ZibyQwE.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's a very individualistic, self-centered type of approach to assume that if there is nothing after you die that everything else evaporates. Life will go on - whatever you did on earth will continue to make a difference at least for a while. Whether positive, negative or neutral is still up for grabs at least for people posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

A bit of peace from this horrible world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'm not sure but I'm in no hurry to find out: Clint Eastwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lots of stuff happens when you die. It's just that none of it involves you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Blondini wrote: »
    A bit of peace from this horrible world.

The world isn't that bad, its the safest time in history to be alive and we only get one life might as well enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Dognapper wrote: »
    I believe that’s it , nothing , I’m happy if that is the case to be honest

I actually hope that is the case. Floating around, for ever, on a cloud and being nice to everyone sounds shoite - unless, of course, someone can guarantee that there is sex and pubs in heaven, then I might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Worse case we get sent back here
    Best case , blackness void

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Same as before birth. Blackness. Nothing. Life continues for everyone but you. Also your lottery numbers will come up the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Nobody knows. We'll all find out soon enough

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Soylent Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Purgative wrote: »
    I actually hope that is the case. Floating around, for ever, on a cloud and being nice to everyone sounds shoite - unless, of course, someone can guarantee that there is sex and pubs in heaven, then I might give it a go.

Would you not get tired of all that sex and drink after a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Sadly Nothing. You're gone.

Nobody interested in 'Hell'? Maybe a selling point is that the truly evil would get their just deserts? Might make it more popular but I guess we all have done stuff that could deserve a spell there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Highway to Hell, Stairway to Heaven. Someone knew which would be the busiest route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Would you not get tired of all that sex and drink after a while?
    I'd give it a fair old bash. I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Potentially, I think our consciousness spills out and is unleashed from the physical body. I don't know if we get any explanation or meaning, probably not. We just continue to exist but in a completely different way. We exist outside of time and space. I have no idea if life or not is good, but I think we just eventually get used to a passive existence watching on as our future ancestors live their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

An infinite, never ending bliss of light as the Brain releases the God hormone.

• Advertisement

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    An infinite, never ending bliss of light as the Brain releases the God hormone.

Sounds great. Where can you get this stuff?

Sounds great. Where can you get this stuff?

You can't. It only releases when our time is up 🀪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't think we can write off all the stories of supernatural goings on down through the centuries and say with certainty that there is nothing after we die.

There was an interesting thread on Reddit about this asking people who had been declared technically 'dead' for a brief period of time (drug overdoses, resuscitated during surgery etc). Experiences were varied, but consistencies among many. They included:

- Nothing. Just blackness. Like you woke up from being asleep. No memory of anything whilst 'dead'. Common response.
    - Moving towards a light or sense of 'good'/peaceful energy. Often accompanied by a voice saying "not your time yet". Common response.
    - A sense of existing purely as energy, becoming one with the 'universe'. A few said these experiences confirmed to them that we are all effectively 'one' with the universe.
    - Others said right before they 'came back', they were given the choice whether they wanted to or not.

We know how amazing and powerful the human mind is. This is clear through how vivid our dreams can be; creating worlds and scenarios that seem completely real. Therefor, some of the answers relating to anything but 'blackness' could just be the mind or consciousness technically still being active, temporarily, even though the heart has stopped. This may perhaps result in an experience similar to a dream.

A few other posters mentioned being near a river, or on a forest path. Creepiest response was a guy who's Father 'died' when younger. He apparently had been living a life of drugs, criminality etc. His Dad said he found himself in a dark basement type area being chased around by deformed characters. He went to hide in a corner, and as the screaming characters closed in, he found himself revived on the operating table. Turned his life around moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I don’t know what happens when we die and I’m usually 100% practical about it. However I’ve had 3 separate things that have happened in my life that makes me think in some way we do go on. I don’t ever talk about what happened because people would think I’m a bit funny but it does make the topic a little bit less black and white for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I only want an afterlife if my dog(s) will be there also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

touts wrote: »
    Sadly Nothing. You're gone.

thats not sad

peasant wrote: »
    I only want an afterlife if my dog(s) will be there also.

Could give one pause for thought then again is GOD backwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well when you die, your Will or lack thereof will keep everyone talking about you!

To me death is like a great sleep that I don't wake up from. Who here has woken from a dead (sorry) slumber and worried about it? You just don't wake up anymore.

As long as the journey is pain free and distress free it is ok.

For the record I have seen my youngest sister die, and my mother and father and granny and grandad. All just, well died. It is part of life really, but can be very hard on those left behind, and I include myself in that.

I don’t know what happens when we die and I’m usually 100% practical about it. However I’ve had 3 separate things that have happened in my life that makes me think in some way we do go on. I don’t ever talk about what happened because people would think I’m a bit funny but it does make the topic a little bit less black and white for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really I Just want a peaceful death.

Been with a few who have passed away, most, probably with meds were peaceful transitions.

But not all, I don’t want to go struggling and fighting every last breath, it’s not nice for the deceased and not nice for those trying to comfort them through their transition.

I’d like to go well tanked up on something that leaves me peaceful and am probably leaning towards assisted suicide in specific instances.

I don’t think about anything afterwards. If there’s not I won’t know as my consciousness will have ended. If there is - bonus.

Funny story about the possibility of an afterlife.

Uncle of my wife was a funny wee man, full of stories and lies and took a dram often of not too often. Once, near the end he said to my wife he was curious about if there was anything after. He promised that if there was and if there was any way possible he would come back and let us know.
    I’m time he passed away and was buried as normal. However, within a week he was back, briefly. Due to a mix up he was buried in the wrong grave and at 5am with one family member a guard, undertaker, gravediggers and council rep he was lifted, identified and then buried again. Maybe that counts as him “coming back” as a sign there is an afterlife. Coincidence is rarely coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A family member was asked to identify a decaying corpse in a coffin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

Ah will you stop it for heaven's sake
    lol

A family member was asked to identify a decaying corpse in a coffin?

Less than a week for someone who was embalmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

_Brian wrote: »
    Less than a week for someone who was embalmed.

I just didn't think they'd do that, that's nuts

I just didn't think they'd do that, that's nuts

Well it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The theory of your brain releasing its final flood of comforting hormones as life ends is credible and certainly would explain the common experiences of tunnels of light, feelings of peace and a sensation of floating above your body. Like a natural pain killer to ease the cessation of life.

But...it doesnt explain other aspects that thousands of people experience such as meeting people that they never met before, being able to see certain objects and recollect specific conversations between people when technically brain dead. Taking away conditioned religious upbringing theres enough variety there to convince me there may be something else beyond this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Username checks out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Like the famous Frédéric François Chopin, you decompose.

degsie wrote: »
    Like the famous Frédéric François Chopin, you decompose.

Unless you can come Bach

• Advertisement
Advertisement