Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Copa America

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Brazil were fully deserved winners in the end, and only a ridiculous penalty decision stopped them going the whole tournament without conceding. They are still a work in progress in regards to the world stage but the Copa win at home will mean a lot to them. The dangerous goalscorer is still an area that they need to find. Firmino is alright but he isn't what is required up there goal scoring wise, same for Jesus, who did have a good tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Corholio wrote: »
    Brazil were fully deserved winners in the end, and only a ridiculous penalty decision stopped them going the whole tournament without conceding. They are still a work in progress in regards to the world stage but the Copa win at home will mean a lot to them. The dangerous goalscorer is still an area that they need to find. Firmino is alright but he isn't what is required up there goal scoring wise, same for Jesus, who did have a good tournament.

I think the officiating at the tournament in general was a catastrophe and the misuse of VAR which can be a great tool when used correctly was ridiculous, it was almost as if they were deliberately trying to sabotage VAR so as it might be dispensed with.

That penalty decision last night though to be fair to the ref is the law now. They changed the law on handball I think which has ruled out accidental handball as not being a penalty. I have no idea why they did that, but the ref given the rule change was correct to give that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They still produce loads of good players but it seems like they don't produce the amount of special talents they used to.20 years ago Brazil could probably picked 3 or 4 teams that would be up their with the best European teams. Giovane Elber for example only played 15 games for Brazil and he was one of the best strikers in Europe in the late 90's early 00's.

I think there has been a noticeable relative decline in the level of South American football this century.. Only 1 of the last 8 world cup finalists being from South America.Up until the early 200's they were the equal of the UEFA nations but I genuinely can't see a South American team winning a world cup for a good while.

Brazil are still competitive at the World Cup. Since 2000 their record is Finalist, Quarter Final Quarter Final Semi final Quarter Final. They're not far off.

The Copa is a poorly run competition with random scheduling of it. From now on they are going to regularise it and run it the same summers as the Euros, that might improve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So what do people think of Ricardo Gareca as a coach now?
    I've been banging this drum for years at this stage. I truly believe he is a gifted coach. I think he should be coaching Argentina. His name came up last year but still no sign of him being taken seriously.
    Peru have no business being in the knockout stages of the Cops America never mind the final. They made the semi-final last time around and qualified for the World Cup for the first time since 1982 under him. Just look at the squad and you'll see how amazing these feats are. Before that at Velez Sarsfield he won multiple league titles over his time there and contended for the Copa Libertadores with a SF, QF and round of 16 exit in three consecutive years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I understand the new handball rules but sure common sense is needed there. Silva's hand is away from his body but how else he supposed to fall? Plank onto the ground? Ridiculous decision I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

rob316 wrote: »
    I understand the new handball rules but sure common sense is needed there. Silva's hand is away from his body but how else he supposed to fall? Plank onto the ground? Ridiculous decision I thought.

Unfortunately thats the rule now, as absolutely ridiculous as it is, and even though its ruining the game. Look at United v PSG or Liverpool in the CL Final for just two examples, there have been worse in this years Copa America and Womens WC, and there will be worse next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Unfortunately thats the rule now, as absolutely ridiculous as it is, and even though its ruining the game. Look at United v PSG or Liverpool in the CL Final for just two examples, there have been worse in this years Copa America and Womens WC, and there will be worse next season

I can understand those calls, they are making their body bigger but what could Silva do, it his hand supporting him.

My big fear with this rule is are players going to start just kicking the ball at defenders arms if they seem them away from their body. The amount of calls then will be ridiculous.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I can understand those calls, they are making their body bigger but what could Silva do, it his hand supporting him.

My big fear with this rule is are players going to start just kicking the ball at defenders arms if they seem them away from their body. The amount of calls then will be ridiculous.
    The cynic in me thinks thats exactly what happened in the CL final.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

A couple of days late to the party but I just saw what Messi was sent off for... How on earth was that a red card? He literally did nothing and I'm no Messi fanboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not necessarily. EPL referees' view of it and I'd imagine UEFA/FIFA view would be similar enough given the rash of penalties in the women's WC.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48903289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

lassykk wrote: »
    A couple of days late to the party but I just saw what Messi was sent off for... How on earth was that a red card? He literally did nothing and I'm no Messi fanboy

It was a bizarre incident, and to be honest, I thought both players could have been given a yellow, but Messi in particular. Does not excuse the subsequent tantrum and cries of corruption though. Its very childish

Advertisement