Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

Horrible weather but I do like a cozy night in with a film. I chose Red Heat. I get about 10 minutes in before trying the subtitles as Netflix doesn't have any for the Russian portions of the film. They appear if I enable the subtitles but now I'm constantly switching them on and off whereas if this were broadcast on telly, there'd only be subtitles for the Russian. Eurgh.

you mean like every night since March 2020 then ......TA:rolleyes:

(had planned to meet someone yesterday. But what can you do in that weather? Coffee? all closed in my area by 5pm. Walk? impossible in yesterday's wind and rain ...........so another opportunity to boost my social life a dead end) Another "cosy night in with a film" it is........TA big time at this stage!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

you mean like every night since March 2020 then ......TA:rolleyes:

(had planned to meet someone yesterday. But what can you do in that weather? Coffee? all closed in my area by 5pm. Walk? impossible in yesterday's wind and rain ...........so another opportunity to boost my social life a dead end) Another "cosy night in with a film" it is........TA big time at this stage!

I'm really bad at actuallly picking films or shows to watch as there're too many. Another TA. The amount of times I've sat down at 9pm to choose something and only for the window to expire...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Calling spouses ‘hubby’ or ‘herself’, and worse still, calling kids ‘smallies’. The latter drives me up the wall

"Bae" has to be the worst expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The screw has fallen out of one side of the frame of my glasses, the bit that holds the lens in ...lovely..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The smallies left my tent bag outside last night and no sign of it this morning as the wind will have blown it away. Herself blames me of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    The screw has fallen out of one side of the frame of my glasses, the bit that holds the lens in ...lovely..

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOW4Gkz

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Same. My dad literally cuts/chops EVERYTHING with the breadknife. One that genuinely came from my grandparents house and they're dead 20 years. It's a good thing he rarely cooks cause he'd be short several fingertips by now otherwise.

Ha ha we must have the same da, cause the one my da uses must be at the least 20 years old too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Made a lovely warm chicken wrap for lunch, went to wrap it and discovered the cheeky ****er had green mould on the underside of it. Had to scrape out all the filling onto crappy bread instead. It had all gone cold too by the time I actually could eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redoctober

Antares35 wrote: »
    In regards to. When someone uses that in an email to me, I instantly lose all respect.

I've heard people use this for years thinking it makes them sound smarter: "irregardless" !!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

redoctober wrote: »
    I've heard people use this for years thinking it makes them sound smarter: "irregardless" !!:confused:

Perhaps you could be more PACIFIC. Please revert BACK when you can.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hearing about Maura Higgins love life and how she's after splitting from another one that was meant to be the ''Love of her 'life''.

Working from home TA: Email from office "please call Mr Customer on xxxx."

When I call Mr Customer his query is absolutely nothing to do with me or my team at all. Switchboard just didn't both asking what he was actually calling about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I just copped that crisps I've been buying are over twice the price I thought they were, or they originally were. I'm talking about the amazing Lorenz Crunchips Paprika. In the UK, for a 140g bag it's £1.43 (€1.66), and over here the 150g bag of the same crisps is €3.99!!!

I'm actually a bit more than trivially annoyed, I can't see any justification for over double the price for an extra* 10g. So I've emailed them to ask why. I don't usually do that, but that's a crazy difference in price for basically the same product. These used to be sub €2 at one point. They're only €2 on partyonline.ie. Tesco, every little helps line their greedy paws!

*allegedly, there's so much air one would have to actually weigh them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Different VAT rates, perhaps? That would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

New Home wrote: »
    Different VAT rates, perhaps? That would do it.

I thought Ireland had a lower VAT rate, but it doesn't explain the €2.35 difference!

I was about to buy 10 bags from that online place, they're on sale down from €3 to €2, but I'd need to order a lot more to get the free delivery, otherwise it's €9 so not making much of a saving in the end. Don't think I could justify to the rest of the household why 30 "share" bags of crisps are being delivered. And if they're on sale, they could be close to expiry, and as much as I love them, eating 30 bags of them in a short while is a small bit overkill.

Must start going back to Lidl to get the Chio version, they're definitely cheaper!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I rarely use facebook and don't have messanger installed on my phone but I'll see a message if facebook is open on my laptop.
    I joined a baby group and decided to install messanger as that's the done thing.
    Suddenly I'm more popular than Paris Hilton. My phone is hopping with messages from old work colleagues to randomers I've met on nights out over the years. I'm thinking wow, didn't realise so many people were waiting on the edge of their seats for me to join messanger ;p
    I just got a message from an old work friend and I replied saying great to hear from you stranger!
    I've just realised all the messages are from years ago. For some reason they're all trickling in now. That particular message is from 2016 so now I look like a weirdo who took 5 years to respond.
    I actually have no current messages:)
    Not so popular now am I!

When you spend 50 percent of your working day chasing people for stuff. When did I become everyone's PA? Why do grown adults need to be treated like babies and given cascade notifications for items due? I hate cc'ing mgrs on my requests but I'm damn well going to start if it means I might actually get stuff I ask for on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Just turned the radio..

Beauty tips on The Claire Byrne show...hair and nails, and two women cackling
    Like schoolgirls. FFS!

Had poached eggs for lunch, turned out a disaster. Went the steaming method but the damn pot overboiled, so the white's wouldn't set properly, and the yolk broke on one getting it out of the water. There's nothing worse than an underdone egg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I skipped my shower this morning as I was going to go for a run at lunchtime. Too rainy now to run but now I need to shower anyway which I should have just done this morning.

Can anyone explain why the f*ck noises appear to be amplified when I'm wearing headphones?? Alternatively if there is an alternative to having a full time WFH gig with a napping baby and noisy parents next door, I will also take it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Do you know when a few bills pile up around the same time, and it's perfectly reasonable to delay less important payments by a week or so until you're paid? Why the eff does my mother make such a big deal about fecking birthday gifts then?

I have my car insurance to pay in a few days, along with a phone-bill that exceeded the usual amount due to having to use data when I was without wifi for a week or two, while the GF's birthday is this weekend too.

I was told today that the whole family chipped in for a gift voucher for the youngest's birthday which was last week (always the last to be told anything), which is fair enough, only I said I'll have the money when I am paid next week. Everyone else was on board, only this wasn't good enough for mam of course (she isn't even the person who I have to revolut), who got right up in my face, started poking my shoulder and asking me was I having money problems and whether I was saving for a house at all?

Christ almighty, it wasn't even a milestone birthday, and yet she makes me feel like **** for rightly controlling my finances.

Do you know when a few bills pile up around the same time, and it's perfectly reasonable to delay less important payments by a week or so until you're paid? Why the eff does my mother make such a big deal about fecking birthday gifts then?

I have my car insurance to pay in a few days, along with a phone-bill that exceeded the usual amount due to having to use data when I was without wifi for a week or two, while the GF's birthday is this weekend too.

I was told today that the whole family chipped in for a gift voucher for the youngest's birthday which was last week (always the last to be told anything), which is fair enough, only I said I'll have the money when I am paid next week. Everyone else was on board, only this wasn't good enough for mam of course (she isn't even the person who I have to revolut), who got right up in my face, started poking my shoulder and asking me was I having money problems and whether I was saving for a house at all?

Christ almighty, it wasn't even a milestone birthday, and yet she makes me feel like **** for rightly controlling my finances.

God, buying a present and then demanding a contribution after. Inertia selling at its finest :D (and very TA)

Edit TA this is actually not inertia selling at all and I've just made myself look like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

TA people not sticking to the theme of the thread. I've been guilty of veering off topic myself but I mean completely missing the point. The ruining a wedding thread is being ruined by people not talking about ruining a wedding. It's like they don't know what ruining or wedding means. People posting about football and funerals. Stop ruining it 😡
    Did i say ruining enough?

*may have woken up extra cranky 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Tell her you will buy your own presents for people from now on.

After being off work for nearly a week, having to communicate with other humans besides my immediate family and listen to boring work sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We’ve have a oven/microwave.
    I was cooking some bread rolls in it and checked them to see were they cooked.
    I forgot to set it to oven again and it automatically went onto microwave.
    Let’s just say they were burnt on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

We’ve have a oven/microwave.
    I was cooking some bread rolls in it and checked them to see were they cooked.
    I forgot to set it to oven again and it automatically went onto microwave.
    Let’s just say they were burnt on the inside.

did they have a soggy bottom?

• Advertisement

I feel like everyone around me just talks about work all the time. I've two friends who literally never talk about anything else. One constantly complaining about being treated badly and how much of an àsshole her boss is, but she's still there years later.

The other is the kind who lives vicariously through his work, feels the need to constantly remind us how many days leave he still has to take because he was so needed that he hasn't taken any AL in two years etc. Any time you ask how he is, "I'm wrecked, I did 4000 hours overtime last week". He genuinely thinks the company will go under without him.

Now OH has started, going on and on about being under pressure, staff resourcing issues means everyone is snowed etc.

I would never bore someone by talking about my work endlessly. I love my job, I studied and worked hard to get my position. I work hard. If I f*ck up there are consequences too. But, I also know there's far more to life. Losing all other aspects of your identity and tearing yourself in two does not make you a great employee.

Advertisement