Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It’s really shattered UEFA, FIFA and Rupert Murdoch. There has to be some merit? It’s not like these are bastions of principles?!!?!!

I’d really love to hear opinions from those not invested in this personally for an educated and unbiased opinion. As I said earlier, it smacks of greed, but if it does go ahead, I’d rather be on the inside looking out. The status quo as it stands is hardly fair and equitable either. I mean, who selects a desert for a venue for a World Cup without incentives to help them??

I just think there’s more to this than meets the eye, I won’t take my independent information off Sky or any other of Rupert’s media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soups123 wrote: »
    Out of the 6 clubs I think we are fcukd the most if/when it fails and does not proceed. Kroenke is going to be in a huge huff and the spend in our club will freeze. Selling us will take a long time if that’s the route he goes. We will end up in a bigger mess than now.

I hate the prospect of SL but with how far it’s gone I fear what happens to us if it doesn’t go ahead with our owners

Well, I believe we are pretty f*cked anyway while these guys are around.

All I know for sure is I don't want anything to do with this crowd of clubs who have appointed themselves (to quote Ken Early) everybody else in football's overlords.

Go f*ck yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

It may not, but if it does and FIFA or EUFA decides to punish the ringleaders with relegation etc then there’s less money for Kronke then he might sell. Hopefully grasping at straws here.

Don't think they could afford to relegate the 6 teams, sky,bt and the rest are hardly gonna pay the money for a league missing the main showcase matches.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I’m not so sure, I think this was part of his plan all along. I don’t think he’ll let us fall apart but he may well reduce costs and look to sell.

He's the American Mike Ashley. No mistake.

A couple of things I don't quite understand.

1) Why are they so sure they can magic up this absolute fortune in TV money, when that was already the main thing the Champion's League was good at? Is it a straightforward as these 12 think they should not have to share it with anyone else?

2) Why are Man City (& Chelsea) going along with anything that makes it's competitors wealthier? Doesn't that just mean they'll have to spend more to do what they're doing now, only now they are in competitions with some actual prestige attached to them?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    A couple of things I don't quite understand.

1) Why are they so sure they can magic up this absolute fortune in TV money, when that was already the main thing the Champion's League was good at?

2) Why are Man City (& Chelsea) going along with anything that makes it's competitors wealthier? Doesn't that just mean they'll have to spend more to do what they're doing now, only niw they are in competitions with some actually prestige attached to them?

1) Dunno, but a bank is happy to underwrite it so they must think they can get it.

2) People seem to misunderstand finances and competitiveness. If you've already spent billions but have no guarantee that you're going to stay at the top then that's a worry. With a closed shop it can be "competitive" but without spending money. The reasons for the Spanish clubs getting involved is that they've destroyed themselves with debt (as they often do). The English clubs can join and the owners will be able to just take profit year after year. For the sportswashing teams this is a chance to stop investing but still get the benefits they've been seeking.

1) Dunno, but a bank is happy to underwrite it so they must think they can get it.

2) People seem to misunderstand finances and competitiveness. If you've already spent billions but have no guarantee that you're going to stay at the top then that's a worry. With a closed shop it can be "competitive" but without spending money. The reasons for the Spanish clubs getting involved is that they've destroyed themselves with debt (as they often do). The English clubs can join and the owners will be able to just take profit year after year. For the sportswashing teams this is a chance to stop investing but still get the benefits they've been seeking.

Wait, hang on. For those of us who seem to misunderstand, how is rescuing the Spanish giants going to help the sportswashing goal of European football dominance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don’t know. I’m not buying it. I can’t imagine that that’s the intention of these clubs from the offset. What’s super about that???

Wait, hang on. For those of us who seem to misunderstand, how is rescuing the Spanish giants going to help the sportswashing goal of European football dominance?

They're different people with different reasons.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    I don’t know. I’m not buying it. I can’t imagine that that’s the intention of these clubs from the offset. What’s super about that???

What do you think the intention is?

US sports are run so that every owner makes a profit no matter what. That's what happens in a closed shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What do you think the intention is?

US sports are run so that every owner makes a profit no matter what. That's what happens in a closed shop.

The reason this is happening is because the 12 clubs involved, feel that they are the main draw for TV companies when UEFA sells TV rights to the Champions League/Europa League. Everyone watches these 12 teams, and no one gives a shít about Krasnodar v Rennes for example.

So the Super 12 feel they should be getting paid the majority of TV revenue. Obviously UEFA differ. They want to keep the current system where Rennes and Krasnodar get a larger proportional share than they currently earn. The reason UEFA want to do this is because obviously the share the smaller clubs get, makes a massive difference to them. Throwing more cash onto the pile of cash already there and the Super 12 isn't what UEFA wants to do.

so the Super 12 have taken matter into their own hands. If they can sell TV rights to their S12 matches and keep 100% of them money for themselves, then that makes more money for the Super 12 clubs.

It's all about money and noting about sport

They're different people with different reasons.

Yes, but everything City have spent has been to accumulate silverware. Why would they sign up to play the big guns all the time when they can just hoover up the silverware by mostly beating other teams?

Yes, but everything City have spent has been to accumulate silverware. Why would they sign up to play the big guns all the time when they can just hoover up the silverware by mostly beating other teams?

City is about sportswashing. It's about building a brand. The brand is now built so they don't need to put more money in, it's about maintaining.

He's the American Mike Ashley. No mistake.

Mad as it sounds, you might even be harsh on Mike Ashley comparing him to this shyster. :D

City is about sportswashing. It's about building a brand. The brand is now built so they don't need to put more money in, it's about maintaining.

When the consortium initially bought City back in 2008, they were worth a combined total of 550 billion or thereabouts. I can imagine this has increased if anything. the few hundred million they'll get for this tournament is chicken feed, so I can only assume that their motivation is very different.

• Advertisement

When the consortium initially bought City back in 2008, they were worth a combined total of 550 billion or thereabouts. I can imagine this has increased if anything. the few hundred million they'll get for this tournament is chicken feed, so I can only assume that their motivation is very different.

Well I've put forward a reasonable (and reasoned w.r.t. the talk for years across different sports) reason. You're welcome to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Guardian reporting that too.

Wahey!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Guardian reporting that too.

Wahey!

All from same source seems odd they’d not just come out with a statement or put on a call, signing papers sounds a bit made up..... suggests they’ve contracts in place already

Hopefully there’ll be a race to sell first and we could win that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hopefully that's the end of this shíte now. You can say it's embarrassing and damaging for Arsenal's name to have been anywhere near it but what can you do really when you have someone like Stan Kroenke calling the shots. At the very least this debacle will highlight how much trouble football is already in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Not surprising Chelsea bailed first, they & City's owners are not in it for the money. Also their ability to vastly outspend the rest would have vanished almost overnight.

Stan will hold on til the bitter end, huge financial gain for zero input & complete indifference to the sporting aspect too much to give up lightly.

Again I hope that UEFA punish the clubs whatever happens.

Club/team power is a problem across just about all competitive sports. Lunatics running the asylum and all that. Governance needs to be separated from the participants where it can.

Not surprising Chelsea bailed first, they & City's owners are not in it for the money. Also their ability to vastly outspend the rest would have vanished almost overnight.

Stan will hold on til the bitter end, huge financial gain for zero input & complete indifference to the sporting aspect too much to give up lightly.

Hard to get a full read on Chelsea. Pretty sure Abramovich stopped putting money in a few years ago so the Super League would have suited him in that way.

The one thing that stands out in that statement is that they have requested to leave, does that mean there is some sort of contract signed and that requested can be denied?

Sort of stinks of trying to look like the good guys here, both them and city

FixitFelix wrote: »
    The one thing that stands out in that statement is that they have requested to leave, does that mean there is some sort of contract signed and that requested can be denied?

Sort of stinks of trying to look like the good guys here, both them and city

Real Madrid president Perez claimed last night everything was signed and was binding.

He also sounded unhinged and came across a bit like a Bond villain so you couldn't know for certain what's going on.

Barca out now too, it's done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

Real Madrid president Perez claimed last night everything was signed and was binding.

He also sounded unhinged and came across a bit like a Bond villain so you couldn't know for certain what's going on.

Can’t be binding if they’re jumping ship 24 hours after announcing it. It highlights how bad the club owners are at running a business!

Yeah seems to be done lads, wonder was it some sort of a power play to gain more money I.e TV rights ? Supposed meeting to be held tonight to disband the whole thing

Yeah seems to be done lads, wonder was it some sort of a power play to gain more money I.e TV rights ? Supposed meeting to be held tonight to disband the whole thing

Yeah all that's left is to hear Uefa's revised terms i guess

Yeah all that's left is to hear Uefa's revised terms i guess

Be surprised if there isn't some revised investment and money to these clubs announced

• Advertisement

Be surprised if there isn't some revised investment and money to these clubs announced

Wouldn't be surprised if they added a few more CL wildcards based on 10 year coefficient

We’ll be the last English team to pull out won’t we...

omega man wrote: »
    We’ll be the last English team to pull out won’t we...

100%

Are Chelsea and City "leaving" the SL until after the CL final? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Spurs will, and they’ll celebrate the victory of the inaugural ESL. DVD incoming!!!

Stories emerging that we have also pulled out. It’s now a house of cards!

Yer man Woodward is gone from United.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

100%

We could win this 💪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Nailed our colours to the mast when Vinai stepped down from the ECA about a month after being elected.

If it wasn't clear before, it is clear as day now that the owners of this club fundamentally do not understand or know anything about the sport.

Vinai, our CEO, should know better. He looks a mug now, our club look like mugs now. Resignations needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mossie

Nailed our colours to the mast when Vinai stepped down from the ECA about a month after being elected.

If it wasn't clear before, it is clear as day now that the owners of this club fundamentally do not understand or know anything about the sport.

Vinai, our CEO, should know better. He looks a mug now, our club look like mugs now. Resignations needed.

Resignations would only paper over the two problems. Hopefully silent Stan will p*ss off back to America but can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

mossie wrote: »
    Resignations would only paper over the two problems. Hopefully silent Stan will p*ss off back to America but can't see it happening.

Would love to see it happen and the optimist in me hopes that this whole farce has disheartened him enough to the point where he wants to sell the club, hopefully to someone who gives a sh*t.

I doubt it though, I think today is just delaying the inevitable by a few years.

Rumours are Woodward is gone from Utd & Agnelli gone from Juve.

Can't see Gazidis falling on his sword, it was he who brought in JP Morgan apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hopefully in light of this he considers off loading the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,245 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Big big cracks appearing in the billionaires plans.
    Great to see.
    Stand clear lads she’s coming down.
    Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yep apparently its all done

now if we could just get rid of that prick kroenke

salmocab wrote: »
    Hopefully in light of this he considers off loading the club.

That's the hope

• Advertisement

Yep apparently its all done

now if we could just get rid of that prick kroenke

Stan Collymore tweeting that one of the 6 clubs could be up for sale in the coming days.

We can hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mossie

That's the hope

It would be great if all this led to new ownership.

Stan Collymore tweeting that one of the 6 clubs could be up for sale in the coming days.

We can hope.

We’d be the likely club if there’s truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Great news
    We’d have been a bottom 10 team in a super league ran for profit and not sport

I hate Stan and to see him succeed with this would have really made me consider where to go from here. But fans win and hopefully we can collectively squeeze him out now proper organised boycotting

omega man wrote: »
    We’d be the likely club if there’s truth to it.

Anyone know anything about the Nigerian lad who is always talking about buying. Is he a football man or just another investor?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement