Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International women's day Mass protest

• 11-02-2019 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

A call for mass walkout protest for international women's day, to end:

An end to gender-based violence and harassment;

Closure of the gender pay gap;

An end to precarious conditions in work and housing;

Solidarity with the struggle for abortion rights in the North.

https://www.thejournal.ie/international-womens-day-walkout-4487752-Feb2019/

The last one is probably the only realistic one. Will you be walking out for international women's day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

The last one is probably the only realistic one. Will you be walking out for international women's day?

There is no gender pay gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Am all in favour of a mass walkout in protest against International Women's Day. It is a nonsense. Women especially need to be seen to condemn that kind of sexism. Abolishing International womens day must be the aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

I'm all for walking out of mass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes abolish international womens day, it's all fixed, all sorted.

Am all in favour of a mass walkout in protest against International Women's Day. It is a nonsense. Women especially need to be seen to condemn that kind of sexism. Abolishing International womens day must be the aim.

are you starting the international men's day protest as well then or

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

I'm walking out against massive women's protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

bluewolf wrote: »
    are you starting the international men's day protest as well then or

Certainly not. That would be equally sexist. Gender protests of all varieties are a despicable thing, and protesting against them to be supported.

After hours is the best advertising for why it's still needed. You will all be on bleating about men's day, nasty feminists and how women have it sooo easy .
    It would give you a pain in your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Divide and conquer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Jesus...how can you debate with people who believe the Patriarchy is screwing women out of wages! Or that women aren't capable of toxic behaviour....it must be getting embarrassing for those male feminists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

they should go protest the countries where women can't have a mass protest

After hours is the best advertising for why it's still needed. You will all be on bleating about men's day, nasty feminists and how women have it sooo easy .

No one has it easy.

Women however, despite not being able to elect feminists in a democratic manner, have access to way more power and influence than they deserve...all because, the most privileged people on this planet, middle to upper class white women in the developed world... have been convinced that they have been oppressed by the magical, omni present "Patriarchy"...you couldn't make this up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

The male feminists and the feminazis are welcome to hit the streets.

The rest of us (women and men) might actually get some work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

they should go protest the countries where women can't have a mass protest

Or at least their embassies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

An end to gender-based violence and harassment

Well Valentines Day perpetuates the tradition of men harassing women with anonymous mail.

I've no problem with that being cancelled.

Although in fairness, the feminazis probably don't encounter that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I asked my bird if she is attending. She said, and I quote, 'not if that cúnt Ruth Coppinger has organised it'.

Feminazis....that didn’t take too long.

Can that be a new Godwin rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I genuinely thought this was a Waterford whispers type skit when I read it earlier..

What gender pay gap are they protesting about ?

And how is a protest going to stop “gender based harassment” whatever that is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Do the "precarious working conditions" in the OP refer to womens' deaths in construction or farming?

• Advertisement

Feminazis....that didn’t take too long.

WhY aRenT You a GarBagE mAn???!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Do the "precarious working conditions" in the OP refer to womens' deaths in construction or farming?

I think accidents in the home probably outnumber those.

The leaders of the wimmins marches in the US like some dodgy characters.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/womens-march/555122/

Then there was this one, went so far into self parody it's coming around for a second lap.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/women%E2%80%99s-march-cancelled-over-diversity-fears/ar-BBRAX2T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No one has it easy.

Women however, despite not being able to elect feminists in a democratic manner, have access to way more power and influence than they deserve...all because, the most privileged people on this planet, middle to upper class white women in the developed world... have been convinced that they have been oppressed by the magical, omni present "Patriarchy"...you couldn't make this up!

And yet making things up is what you appear to have just done?

Now, I’m not a feminist, and as soon as I saw the mention of Ruth Coppinger in the article in the opening post, I sighed and eye rolled. Thankfully, I do not imagine Ms. Coppinger represents, or speaks for the female demographic in Ireland, let alone Western society.

So that kinda begs the question for me regarding your comment that “women... have access to way more power and influence than they deserve”, how much power and influence do you imagine half the members of any given society should have exactly if we were to balance the distribution of power and influence solely upon sex?

I would say each should represent their own, so I don’t have any issue with women representing themselves, whatever their politics. I also object to the likes of an idiot with a plastic bag on his head portraying himself as the equivalent of Ruth Coppinger for men, but again I’m aware that there are men who identify with the idiot in the same way as there are women who identify with idiots. I don’t consider either of those representatives a credible threat to Irish society is all, so if they want to make exhibitions of themselves, let them off. They can be safely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jonny74ie

They lose credibility by shoehorning the gender pay gap in with serious issues like sexual violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Captain Marvel first lead Woman Marvel film is released that day obviously it being international we hate men day it's not surprising I'll be hiding out in the bandit cave as I wanna keep my balls intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A call for mass walkout protest for international women's day to end
    Ooh, controversial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Load of nonsense. Most, in fact all, sensible women want nothing to do with this bunch of man hating loons. I'm married to a wonderful man; some of my best friends are male; I like it when a man holds a door open for me or treats me like a lady. And quite frankly,it's sickening to see how all men are being demonized for the actions of a few.

I need some brandy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,143 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are they protesting the treatment of Mary Robinson, Frances Fitzgerald and Noirin O'Sullivan?
    Do they know who Elizabeth Dunne, Iseult O'Malley & Mary Finlay Geoghegan are?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

And yet making things up is what you appear to have just done?

Now, I’m not a feminist, and as soon as I saw the mention of Ruth Coppinger in the article in the opening post, I sighed and eye rolled. Thankfully, I do not imagine Ms. Coppinger represents, or speaks for the female demographic in Ireland, let alone Western society.

So that kinda begs the question for me regarding your comment that “women... have access to way more power and influence than they deserve”, how much power and influence do you imagine half the members of any given society should have exactly if we were to balance the distribution of power and influence solely upon sex?

I would say each should represent their own, so I don’t have any issue with women representing themselves, whatever their politics. I also object to the likes of an idiot with a plastic bag on his head portraying himself as the equivalent of Ruth Coppinger for men, but again I’m aware that there are men who identify with the idiot in the same way as there are women who identify with idiots. I don’t consider either of those representatives a credible threat to Irish society is all, so if they want to make exhibitions of themselves, let them off. They can be safely ignored.

By access to power I am referring to the many many well funded (taxpayer funded) lobby groups that pile pressure on Government Ministers to fund their causes, which is one reason why an abused husband has no where to go and an abused wife has way more options.

A woman in this country has better access to education, health and justice than a man in this country....surely in an egalitarian state this would not happen!

Now, I don't believe is has gotten as bad here as it is in other countries like the US, but with weak willed ministers like Harris, and Mitchell O'Connor anything is possible.

Gender quotas, which are manifestly undemocratic have been implemented across this state and most other states in the developed world....I assure you, I am not making anything up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

By access to power I am referring to the many many well funded (taxpayer funded) lobby groups that pile pressure on Government Ministers to fund their causes, which is one reason why an abused husband has no where to go and an abused wife has way more options.

Has it escaped your attention that those same Government Ministers are predominantly male? I wouldn’t say they ultimately have the power to determine how or where public funds are distributed, but they have more of a say than women all the same. The lack of domestic violence shelters for men isn’t so much a lack of funding issue so much as it is simply a lack of demand issue. I dunno about you, but I think there’s enough public funds wasted on vanity projects already without wasting more money on domestic violence shelters for men when there appears to be no demand for them. They’re not an ideal place for women and their children either.

A woman in this country has better access to education, health and justice than a man in this country....surely in an egalitarian state this would not happen!

You’re going to have to be a hell of a lot more specific than that, because access to education isn’t determined by sex, nor is access to health, nor access to justice. Depending upon your perspective of course your point of view is going to be coloured one way or the other, but as far as policies are concerned, your claims just don’t stand up.

Now, I don't believe is has gotten as bad here as it is in other countries like the US, but with weak willed ministers like Harris, and Mitchell O'Connor anything is possible.

Other countries like the US are bad? Jesus Christ. Again you’re pointing to a country where you claim women have an unfair power and influence over men, yet it’s generally men in the positions of power and influence who come up with the policies under which both men and women tend to suffer.

Gender quotas, which are manifestly undemocratic have been implemented across this state and most other states in the developed world....I assure you, I am not making anything up!

I genuinely don’t mind gender quotas tbh. They’re based upon the presumption that a person’s political views are based upon their sex. It’s only a matter of time before they’ll have to go back to the drawing board when it isn’t panning out the way it’s implementors had hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

What's all this? Another unpaid day off ladies?

That's not going to do much to close the wage gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Imagine all the wheely bins which won't be collected that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Luka Acidic Gorilla

If it was cheaper to hire/pay a woman than a man, why aren’t companies mainly female or hiring only female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

If it was cheaper to hire/pay a woman than a man, why aren’t companies mainly female?

Because the gender pay gap is a lie that has been repeated so many times that people now seem to believe it's true. You never hear the same people complaining about the lack of men working in fields such as nursing, teaching or childcare.

• Advertisement

Has it escaped your attention that those same Government Ministers are predominantly male? I wouldn’t say they ultimately have the power to determine how or where public funds are distributed, but they have more of a say than women all the same. The lack of domestic violence shelters for men isn’t so much a lack of funding issue so much as it is simply a lack of demand issue. I dunno about you, but I think there’s enough public funds wasted on vanity projects already without wasting more money on domestic violence shelters for men when there appears to be no demand for them. They’re not an ideal place for women and their children either.

You’re going to have to be a hell of a lot more specific than that, because access to education isn’t determined by sex, nor is access to health, nor access to justice. Depending upon your perspective of course your point of view is going to be coloured one way or the other, but as far as policies are concerned, your claims just don’t stand up.

Other countries like the US are bad? Jesus Christ. Again you’re pointing to a country where you claim women have an unfair power and influence over men, yet it’s generally men in the positions of power and influence who come up with the policies under which both men and women tend to suffer.

I genuinely don’t mind gender quotas tbh. They’re based upon the presumption that a person’s political views are based upon their sex. It’s only a matter of time before they’ll have to go back to the drawing board when it isn’t panning out the way it’s implementors had hoped.

Jesus, you really have drank the cool aid...do you really believe that men are not physically, emotionally abused in large numbers, men are by some distance least likely to report abuse, (approx 5% of abused men will report abuse it is believed)for obvious reasons.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mens-domestic-abuse-ireland-3734811-Dec2017/

Access to third level education is gained through our points system, girls have been outperforming boys for decades allowing them greater options when it comes to education, except in STEM of course which is now subject to all kinds of equality programs....imagine if it was the other way round!

The state offers women healthcare that is not extended to men, certain cancer treatments for example, men die younger.

A woman in this country will receive a lower sentence than a man for a comparable crime (I am aware that men commit much more crimes), if a woman murders her husband she will not receive the same sentence as a man who murders his wife, she is more likely to avoid a conviction by some distance either, the same applies for all types of crimes that people commit.

Take a look at the kangaroo courts US Universities that have done huge damage to many young men. https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2015/07/06/campus-rape-lie/

Just because women are not succeeding in getting elected in the same numbers as men does not mean there is something inherently wrong with the system or the electorate...it is very very difficult to get elected and it should be....it is not perfect, but reform the entire system as opposed to shoe horning individuals based on a collective identity.

Political Quotas are undemocratic, full stop, we wouldn't tolerate a quota of catholics, or muslims or any other collective, nor should we...the people we elect represent all of us, man or woman...until the lobby groups get their teeth into them that is!

We need to rid ourselves of our belief that it is only one gender that is problematic, it is doing more harm than good.

A walkout led by Ruth Coppinger. What a surprise. Daft uainseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm female and so sick of this sh***.

I've never been denied access to anything specifically because I'm female.

Paid equally, no complaints. The only women I know personally who are in favour of gender quotas etc.are the ones who wouldn't advance without them.

Men and women can never be fully equal because guess what, we are different! Physically, mentally etc. It's like apples and oranges.

Most men treat me well, as do must women. Some people are just assholes but gender is irrelevant.

Men & women compliment each other and it's the differences that make it work.

Usually anything Ruth Coppinger supports, I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

A load of white, middle class, blue haired college sjw students and eternally " oppressed " women, it sounds like a fun protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Luka Acidic Gorilla

Paid equally, no complaints. The only women I know personally who are in favour of gender quotas etc.are the ones who wouldn't advance without them.

Men and women can never be fully equal because guess what, we are different! Physically, mentally etc. It's like apples and oranges.

Most men treat me well, as do must women. Some people are just assholes but gender is irrelevant.

is there an election coming up, Ruth seems desperate to get the feminist/woke/sjw vote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Absolutely agree a gazillion %.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

And you'll be bleating on the in same thread how every day is men's day.

Has any company been named yet, for paying men more than women for doing the exact same work/ hours ??? I wonder how many successful, career women will be attending this march, zero id say.

is there an election coming up, Ruth seems desperate to get the feminist/woke/sjw vote

Well stuff like this beats doing actual work to help her constituents.

Not really. That's also a complete cliché.

Not really. That's also a complete cliché.

Has any company been named yet, for paying men more than women for doing the exact same work/ hours ??? I wonder how many successful, career women will be attending this march, zero id say.

Don't know if it's for the same hours and work but Citigroup have been
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-01-16/citigroup-reveals-its-female-employees-earn-29-less-than-men-do

Again I'm not saying that they are paying less for the same hours and work just pointing out where a company has been named and the company has said that there is a gap as per your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What do we want?

All of the things!

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Don't know if it's for the same hours and work but Citigroup have been
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-01-16/citigroup-reveals-its-female-employees-earn-29-less-than-men-do

Again I'm not saying that they are paying less for the same hours and work just pointing out where a company has been named and the company has said that there is a gap as per your post.

Around the same time, and under pressure from Arjuna Capital, Citigroup and several other big U.S. banks reported a different measure for U.S. employees. Instead of comparing the median pay for men and women, the banks “adjusted’’ the pay gap to account for job title, seniority, education and other factors that affect compensation. All the banks, including Citigroup, reported that after adjustments, there was almost no pay gap between men and women.

Now i dont know if thats the bank trying to cover itself , but people can skew the data to get results thats suits them. That happens on both sides of the argument. But with the variables involved regarding hours, time spent with the company, production etc it'd be very easy to get the answers you want.

i'll give you an example. I worked in retail a few years ago , i got around 9 euro an hour starting off. A women i worked with got about 13 euro an hour because she'd been with the company for 10 years. We did the same work but cos she was there longer she got an extra 4 euro an hour. So theres your gender pay gap in reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When I read the thread title, I thought it was something about protesting at mass

• Advertisement
Advertisement