Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB only 30W speakers - 20 GBP

Options
  • 08-02-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundScience-QSB-Desktop-Speakers-Technology/dp/B004W269X4/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
    Update June 2011: Rated 5/5 by the experts at What HiFi?: Compact clever and with a big detailed sound all without batteries or a mains adaptor SoundScience QSB - 30W USB Desktop Speakers with NXT DyadUSB Technology SoundScience worked hard at finding you the right technology and components to make the perfect compact laptop powered audio system. The results are revolutionary! That's the only way to describe these dinky speakers. They will redefine your desktop audio experience. Look across the market and you will see several options for listening to your music from your laptop but it has to be said that none do it quite like your SoundScience QSB speakers. With the problem for most portable speaker systems being lack of power SoundScience have cleverly adopted the DyadUSB package from NXT (HiWave). What is NXT DyadUSB Technology? The DyadUSB is revolutionary piece of kit that enables a 15W per channel audio burst all from only 2.5W of electrical power! This unique technology has been made by the best for the best. SoundScience has cleverly integrated this into an everyday speaker system that will provide up to 30W of sound output power! Magnificent! The speakers are super small and compact (8.5 x 8.5 x 8.5 cm). They feature a stunning design - metal grills and a smooth metallic exterior with rubber guides to hold their place when delivering you some first class audio. Everything in the package gives that premium feeling down to the sleek rubberised travel case and audiophile-grade magnet cable with RCA connectors for a richer audio experience. So they look the part do they sound the part? They get a great big AMP3 thumbs up! They won't fill huge rooms but are more than capable of producing an sound far greater than what you expect from such small desktop speakers. They certainly managed to create quite the impact in the AMP3 office. When you pick up the QSB USB Speakers and plug them in you can expect rich bass crisp and detailed highs and astonishingly good stereo.

NB Only works with PC via USB - no 3.5mm audio jack.

Disadvantages
    PC only
    Seems to need to be plugged in again after PC hibernates

Pros
    Small form factor
    Big sound

Has good reviews - fair belt out of them !
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/gadget-review-soundscience-qsb-30w-usb-desktop-speakers-1-1648815

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8579447/-/Product.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

gone down to 15.99 GBP

good deal id say

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Looks alright, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Should say, they don't have a volume control on them.
    You have to control the sound from the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

does anyone know if you need to have a soundcard installed on the pc.

there is no soundcard on the pc i use and these seem to be about the same price as having a sound card installed.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just grabbed these as I watch Netflix in the missus' house and the sound is atrocious! Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

does anyone know if you need to have a soundcard installed on the pc.

there is no soundcard on the pc i use and these seem to be about the same price as having a sound card installed.

thanks

No soundcard needed AFAIK. No headphone jack though. Dealbreaker for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Buy them direct from amp3.co.uk and you can use code take10 for 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

These work fine with Linux out of the box (Xubuntu anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

After watching this promo video, I'm having second thoughts about buying them! You'd think she'd give them a blast at least!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnyvL8XwNY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How does 2.5W give 30W? Power is power? Do they have a magical power source buried deep inside them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

ED E wrote: »
    How does 2.5W give 30W? Power is power? Do they have a magical power source buried deep inside them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

Peak power or 'burst power' as the company that produces the drivers and chips calls it. It contains some pretty clever circuitry that can boost the voltage to over 30V for the peaks in the music. But realistically it 2w continuous. Basically its the reference design from http://www.tectonicelements.com/ and almost identical to the 5 times the price ufi ucubes.

Amazing sound for a tiny usb powered plastic box yes, amazing sound no. Great for carting around in a laptop bag.

"audiophile-grade magnet cable" it says audiphile and magnet it must be good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Knockieranlady

Arrived today, have to say I'm very disappointed with sound from them from my new mac book pro, not much better than mac speakers, if you haven't bought them already, D'ONT BUY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Arrived today, have to say I'm very disappointed with sound from them from my new mac book pro, not much better than mac speakers, if you haven't bought them already, D'ONT BUY!

I got the speakers today I think the sound out of them is great, for the price can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

got the speakers, very easy to setup.

also works without a sound card so i am very happy with it. nicer ,cheaper & daster than having a sound card installed

Advertisement