Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So a horse trots into a gym ....

Options
  • 24-01-2020 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

Yes, it sounds like the start of a joke but it actually happened in one Limerick town, as reported by a councillor recently.

From Breaking News this morning: Independent councillor PJ Carey called on gardaí to rein in children as young as six riding sulkies in Kilmallock which, he says, is turning into the “Wild West”. And the local park, aptly called the People’s Park, and memorial wild flower garden in the town is used for the illegal grazing of the horses. One local man said "why should he scoop the poop of his dog when the park is covered in horse ****?". Well, that is a very good question.

The town has a serious issue with anti-social behaviour, so here is my suggestion for the politicians canvassing the area: remove the horses, seize the sulkies that are used illegally, fine the parents of the children who are riding these sulkies, fine the people illegally cutting holes in fences of public spaces in order for their horses to graze.

In order words, apply the law to stop this issue. The politicians will find that when one aspect of anti-social behaviour is properly dealt with, then it has a knock-on effect on other anti-social behaviour, and life will improve for all the citizens in the community. The mind boggles on why ordinary, law-abiding people have to put up with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Der culture boss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Zero tolerance, put them down

The children obviously, not the horses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Or maybe ask your canvassing politicians what their stance is on animal abuse.

Making light of it,” oh, he rode his horse into a gym, ha, ha “ is just glorifying it..

The reality is these horses load a terribly sad life, beaten abused, sold for a tenner. Abandoned in the fields to starve to death.

Close down the Scumbag horse fairs would be a big start. How many’s families stolen beloved family dogs turn up there.?

If you’ve any spare cash, consider donating to My Lovely Horse Rescue on the frontlines facing this cruelty daily.

The other breaking news story today about horses is that a young horse was viciously stabbed to death in a Horse Rescue in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Met a horse in a pub few weeks ago. He'd been telling me will about the fantastic wins he had - gold cup, grand national, Aintree etc. I asked him if he's doing so well, how come the long face?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Don't worry - it is nothing that a dedicated senate seat won't fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

anewme wrote: »
    Or maybe ask your canvassing politicians what their stance is on animal abuse. Making light of it,” oh, he rode his horse into a gym, ha, ha “ is just glorifying it..
    The reality is these horses load a terribly sad life, beaten abused, sold for a tenner. Abandoned in the fields to starve to death.
    Close down the Scumbag horse fairs would be a big start. How many’s families stolen beloved family dogs turn up there.?If you’ve any spare cash, consider donating to My Lovely Horse Rescue on the frontlines facing this cruelty daily.The other breaking news story today about horses is that a young horse was viciously stabbed to death in a Horse Rescue in Longford.

From the OPs post - what was described is certainly an animal control issue - with those flouting existing laws needing to be dealt with by the relevant authorities. The linked newspaper article details some of the very real problems for the other residents of that town. The fact that a horse did enter into a gym is also reported. And again is an example of the type of antisocial behaviour being engaged in. I didnt read it as 'ha ha' or it being made light of

No one is saying a horse being stabbed is anything but abuse of an animal - but throwing your money at some animal rescue charity up the country is not going to solve the countryside problem of horses been allowed left to fly graze or being used for these types of activities by children etc.

And yes politicians should be interrogated why such behaviour is being allowed ie not actively dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Here the local politicians have condemned it. But they don't control law enforcement. Law enforcement in Ireland is a strange thing politically. For our national political class, having a law written down is 'job done' and hands are washed. They don't want to know after that and in discussion on the issue will simply point to the law they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The subculture permitted to do as they please yet again.

gozunda wrote: »
    From the OPs post - what was described is certainly an animal control issue - with those flouting existing laws needing to be dealt with by the relevant authorities. The linked newspaper article details some of the very real problems for the other residents of that town. The fact that a horse did enter into a gym is also reported. And again is an example of the type of antisocial behaviour being engaged in. I didnt read it as 'ha ha' or it being made light of

No one is saying a horse being stabbed is anything but abuse of an animal - but throwing your money at some animal rescue charity up the country is not going to solve the countryside problem of horses been left to fly graze or being used for these types of activities by children etc.

And yes politicians should be interrogated why such behaviour is being allowed ie not actively dealt with

With due respect, it’s not “some animal charity up the Country”, and it’s not throwing your money either.

They recently rescued little Mikey in Cork, a tiny Shetland Pony dying at the side of a road in Cork having been used as dog bait. That got countrywide coverage.

Animal abuse doesn’t just happen “up the Country”.

Not the OP, but there is a certain element of ha ha, a horse in a gym, a horse in a drive through, a horse in a lift. Not sure how anyone could miss it.

The anti social element is one side of it, but the animal welfare one is way overdue in this Country and politicians should be grilled about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes, it sounds like the start of a joke but it actually happened in one Limerick town, as reported by a councillor recently.

From Breaking News this morning: Independent councillor PJ Carey called on gardaí to rein in children as young as six riding sulkies in Kilmallock which, he says, is turning into the “Wild West”. And the local park, aptly called the People’s Park, and memorial wild flower garden in the town is used for the illegal grazing of the horses. One local man said "why should he scoop the poop of his dog when the park is covered in horse ****?". Well, that is a very good question.

The town has a serious issue with anti-social behaviour, so here is my suggestion for the politicians canvassing the area: remove the horses, seize the sulkies that are used illegally, fine the parents of the children who are riding these sulkies, fine the people illegally cutting holes in fences of public spaces in order for their horses to graze.

In order words, apply the law to stop this issue. The politicians will find that when one aspect of anti-social behaviour is properly dealt with, then it has a knock-on effect on other anti-social behaviour, and life will improve for all the citizens in the community. The mind boggles on why ordinary, law-abiding people have to put up with this.

OP don't you know it would be racist to interfere with the culture of certain ethnic groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

After the animal abuse, what infuriates me are the politicians/local "spokespeople" who will defend this behaviour by saying things like, "How else are they going to graze their horses if the council won't give them land".

Maybe don't have fncking horses if you don't have the land or stables to keep them. FFS.

Why this isn't dealt with, I don't know. 20 Gardai and a few horseboxes. Take them away, bring them to a rescue. If they want the horses back they have a week to come up with €1,000.

Also have to deal with the source of it. Microchips should have a full history on them so the last known owner can be tracked down and prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A horse walks into a bar and takes a seat.
    The barman asks...why the long face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I don't know why people keep saying Why does this keep happening? Why don't the guards put a stop to it ? We all know why, Ethnic minority status has solidified the long held unofficial perks given to "travellers". Before this they got away with it through intimidation and an element of "..aah leave them at it its not worth the hassle". I know guards who have said they wouldn't want to draw the travellers onto them as they would go out of their way to intimidate and make life difficult. Now as well as that they have government backing, if you think the law is applied evenly across both communities your deluding yourself.

In before "ooo another have a go at the travellers thread"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep saying Why does this keep happening? Why don't the guards put a stop to it ? We all know why, Ethnic minority status has solidified the long held unofficial perks given to "travellers". Before this they got away with it through intimidation and an element of "..aah leave them at it its not worth the hassle". I know guards who have said they wouldn't want to draw the travellers onto them as they would go out of their way to intimidate and make life difficult. Now as well as that they have government backing, if you think the law is applied evenly across both communities your deluding yourself.

In before "ooo another have a go at the travellers thread"
    It's nothing to do with "government backing" or protecting culture, that's all rubbish.

It is all to do with the fact that Gardai don't want to have to deal with the ****storm that such actions will cause - both physically from the people who will attack the Gardai, and politically from the level of whining it'll cause.

There are no protections; legal or otherwise that permit animals to be kept in substandard conditions. It's merely a lack of will.

Look at the greyhound scandal. Look at puppy farms. Animal abuse is rife across the country and nobody with the power to do anything, cares about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

seamus wrote: »
    After the animal abuse, what infuriates me are the politicians/local "spokespeople" who will defend this behaviour by saying things like, "How else are they going to graze their horses if the council won't give them land".

Maybe don't have fncking horses if you don't have the land or stables to keep them. FFS.

Why this isn't dealt with, I don't know. 20 Gardai and a few horseboxes. Take them away, bring them to a rescue. If they want the horses back they have a week to come up with €1,000.

Also have to deal with the source of it. Microchips should have a full history on them so the last known owner can be tracked down and prosecuted.

This is exactly what should happen.
    No ifs or buts. Just enforce the law, as it will improve the lives of both the law-abiding people and the horses.

It's nothing to do with "government backing" or protecting culture, that's all rubbish.
    It is all to do with the fact that Gardai don't want to have to deal with the ****storm that such actions will cause - both physically from the people who will attack the Gardai, and politically from the level of whining it'll cause.

Why would enforcing the law cause a ****storm and whining from politicians? not supporting the guards and not holding guards to account for not enforcing the law is the same as backing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was cycling through Ballybough, central Dublin, the other evening and a few little townie knackers were racing a sulky up and down the street at speeds the horse didn't look too comfortable with. It's not just travellers who do this, seems to be a culture of it with salt of the earthy types in Dublin too. How on earth this goes on in what's supposed to be a civilised country is beyond me, their parents should be locked up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There’s a main road in Galway that’s plagued with travellers horses wondering out on the road and causing accidents to innocent people going about their business.
    It’s unfenced bog and totally unsuitable for livestock. The horses are starved hence their need to wonder looking for grass. The brainless Fcukers who own them don’t understand this though and play the culture card.
    There’s a td in oranmore then that wants to use tax payers money to fence the area for the fcukers.
    Half starved and beaten horses.not a bit of shelter provided.
    If it was up to me the army would be sent out on a weekly basis and shoot any horses found out there.it would be more humane than leaving them there to suffer at the hands of them scum and safer for passing motorists.
    The country has turned into a fcukin jokeshop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Its definitely not just travellers. Its the wannabe travellers too. I saw a lad absolutely flying up the road on a horse last year, outside a school, as the kids were coming out. He was only a kid himself so presumably was supposed to be in the school instead of playing Lone Ranger.

No one wants to deal with people of this mentality, the gardai are afraid of half of them either due to threats/violence or the guff they will get from the pearl clutchers.

Its definitely not just travellers. Its the wannabe travellers too. I saw a lad absolutely flying up the road on a horse last year, outside a school, as the kids were coming out. He was only a kid himself so presumably was supposed to be in the school instead of playing Lone Ranger.

No one wants to deal with people of this mentality, the gardai are afraid of half of them either due to threats/violence or the guff they will get from the pearl clutchers.

I grew up in a town with many, the term traveller doesn't just apply to ones who actual travel in caravans, most have their lovely houses built and refurbished by the state but they still enjoy their profitable ethnic status privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

All this talk about horses in Limerick and no one posted this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

iamstop wrote: »
    All this talk about horses in Limerick and no one posted this yet?

Yes because it was funny about 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Yr wan in the vijoe is still a roide tho

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

anewme wrote: »
    With due respect, it’s not “some animal charity up the Country”, and it’s not throwing your money either. They recently rescued little Mikey in Cork, a tiny Shetland Pony dying at the side of a road in Cork having been used as dog bait. That got countrywide coverage.
    Animal abuse doesn’t just happen “up the Country”. Not the OP, but there is a certain element of ha ha, a horse in a gym, a horse in a drive through, a horse in a lift. Not sure how anyone could miss it. The anti social element is one side of it, but the animal welfare one is way overdue in this Country and politicians should be grilled about it.

That's clearly not what I was detailing. There is a very real problem of antisocial behaviour in that town as detailed by the OP. This cant be dealt with by any one charity.

I really didnt read any HaHa in the OPs comment. Tbh the issue should to be dealt with by the relevant authorities. I believe OP was referring to the old hoary joke re ' a horse walks into a bar' but saying it was not so ...

And certainly not the one you mentioned btw - but yes there's a very real problem with 'some' so called rescues being little more than money collection ventures imo. One I am aware of was taking in animals and selling same online. Like the whole horse fly-grazing / sulky thing it needs regulation and proper follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Horse is a common term to call someone in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

There's a gym in Kilmallock?

That's clearly not what I was detailing. There is a very real problem of antisocial behaviour in that town as detailed by the OP. This cant be dealt with by any one charity.

I really didnt read any HaHa in the OPs comment. Tbh the issue should to be dealt with by the relevant authorities. I believe OP was referring to the old hoary joke re ' a horse walks into a bar' but saying it was not so ...

And certainly not the one you mentioned btw - but yes there's a very real problem with 'some' so called rescues being little more than money collection ventures imo. One I am aware of was taking in animals and selling same online. Like the whole horse fly-grazing / sulky thing it needs regulation and proper follow through.

I’m not saying any one charity can deal with it. But in the absence of the Govt. tackling animal abuse seriously, genuine charities are essential.

What I am saying is ask your politicians where they stand.

And please do consider donating to MLHR, they do fantastic for horses in dangerous conditions.

And I’m not saying OP said ha ha, it’s the ha ha crap going back to the time of into the west with the horse in a lift. Animal welfare laws need a massive overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's a gym in Kilmallock?

A Jim. Parents weren’t champion spellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bang on the ball gozunda, I'd be very wary of any of these horse charities too. I keep one or two ponies myself and am particular about looking after them the same as I am with all our animals.

A person I know worked voluntarily in a horse rescue charity in Kerry and I'm ashamed to say I thought they might have been exaggerating about what the carry on was there until it was the subject of an investigation by RTE that resulted in it being closed down. It appears the owners were using charity money for personal gain and not keeping proper accounts as well as treating volunteer workers disgracefully.

One lady I know likes to give the impression she is only concerned about animal welfare, she has taken in abandoned horses and if they don't have potential for her chosen sport they are again "re-homed" but not before public appeals for funding towards their upkeep are successfully made. Most people would be very surprised how much money is donated to equine charities. It appears no expense is spared to "look after them properly in her stables". All donations gratefully accepted.

Another person I know runs a registered rescue sanctuary and does a dam good job at it too. I was told years ago that if they never again received another donation the sanctuary was financially secure enough to deal with all expenses for decades to come. It seems a lot of people who have no next of kin like to nominate animal charities in their will.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
Advertisement