Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Tuition

Options
  • 07-01-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi there,

anyone doing home tuition this year? The payment method has changed so where previously payment was made via the parent. now it is a direct payment into tutors account via the NTS payroll. I also work for an ETB (part time) so would need to split tax credits and am concerned that if deductions for pensions etc are made by DES and given I am a NQT on new hourly rates that 1.5 hours work just won't pay enough given preparation and travel times which must also be factored in..

I've contacted DES payroll and basically they are saying PAYE and PRSI is down to credits etc - I earn so little these will be insignificant however I am worried about other deductions making it financially unviable. I think the more NQT accept the dismal pay and woeful hours the less will be done about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

Just to answer my own question as DES NTS payroll got back to me.
    Might be useful to someone in the future.
    Pension contributions don't apply as home tutors are deemed to be self-employed however when travel costs and preparation times are factored in and considering it's only 1.5 hours of paid work I've decided it's not for me this year.
    The parent I was in contact with is having great difficulty sourcing teachers which is unfortunate for the child in question but probably a reflection of the reality that it takes much more than 1.5 hours of actual work per week to prepare a child for LC in june and this is just not reflected in the payment received.

Advertisement