Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Maxed-irl

Got the keys Thursday great scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Is the HTB scheme going to be renewed into 2020?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

newboard wrote: »
    Is the HTB scheme going to be renewed into 2020?

Thanks

No one knows for sure except the government. If it’s to be extended it’ll probably be announced around budget time to drum up good PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

fungie wrote: »
    We just signed our contracts and gave the HTB details to our solicitor and bank.

Do we have to do something? Our solicitor said nothing.

As niamhzie said, when you get signed contracts back, upload that and loan offer letter to Revenue. Then pass on claim code to developer.

Our solicitor didn't tell us bout this part, I was wondering why it was still at claim stage. Got onto both the developer and our solicitor and had it sorted in few mins (we hadn't been given hard copy of signed contracts).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

For those of you who have completed the claim, when entering in the deposit amount did you just state the booking deposit or the total deposit you’re due to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Hi

We are approved for HTB (pin received) and are about to put reserve down on a new-build house in a new development of approx 30 houses. Selling Agent has mentioned HTB scheme is available, but none of the related companies are on the Revenues list that I've just checked.

Is this something to be concerned about or just overthinking things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Check with the Estate Agent. They may be registered under a different name with Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

tomister wrote: »
    For those of you who have completed the claim, when entering in the deposit amount did you just state the booking deposit or the total deposit you’re due to pay?

Put in the full deposit amount. A booking deposit is only like 5k. So it'll be 10% of the house value

Mushy wrote: »
    Put in the full deposit amount. A booking deposit is only like 5k. So it'll be 10% of the house value

Thank you! Clears that right up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I heard above that the HTB is taken when you sign the contracts.
    If I go into the estate agent with a deposit in hand, how long does it normally take for them till contracts get signed?

Is it immediate or what needs to happen/be completed first?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭cianlynchali

Hi. Does anyone know is it calculated on your tax before your tax credits or after?. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hi. Does anyone know is it calculated on your tax before your tax credits or after?. Thanks

After. i.e. the amount of tax you actually paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

After. i.e. the amount of tax you actually paid.

It's only a refund if what you've paid in income tax,so no tax credits, USC, PRSI

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ricped

Hi everyone,

I’m on the process to buy a new house and we have applied for the help to buy, the first time we made it it was canceled as I had tax due, that was payed and confirmed that was cleared and we were told to re apply again.
    We have done it and my parter couldn’t confirm be part of the group as there is no options shown, in the mean time we rang reveneu a couple of times and we were told that we should cancel our application and do a new one, we made it again and same issue.
    The problem at the moment is our bank is waiting for the code to get the mortgage approved as well as our solicitor and our time is running out, we can’t find anyone that knows what the hell is going on with our application and we are very close to lose the house .
    Anyone went trough something similar ? If yes how did you sorted it ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Hi all,

I'm just wondering can anyone help me with a bit of a strange query. I'm currently looking at building a house with my partner. Planning would be in her name to satisfy local housing need while mortgage would be in both our names.

We are currently looking at applying for the help to buy scheme. If we were to submit the help to buy application in both our names could this potentially affect my ability to get planning in my name in the future? The hope was that by keeping application in her name etc. that if the need arose to move I would be able to apply for planning elsewhere in my name and satisfy local housing need as I would not have a house. Would having applied for help to buy affect that.

Any help would be much appreciated and I hope I have explained myself clearly.
    Thanks,
    Leg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

Ricped wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I’m on the process to buy a new house and we have applied for the help to buy, the first time we made it it was canceled as I had tax due, that was payed and confirmed that was cleared and we were told to re apply again.
    We have done it and my parter couldn’t confirm be part of the group as there is no options shown, in the mean time we rang reveneu a couple of times and we were told that we should cancel our application and do a new one, we made it again and same issue.
    The problem at the moment is our bank is waiting for the code to get the mortgage approved as well as our solicitor and our time is running out, we can’t find anyone that knows what the hell is going on with our application and we are very close to lose the house .
    Anyone went trough something similar ? If yes how did you sorted it ?

Thanks in advance

I was having the same issue as you was told IT were experiencing a glitch in there system. Allowed me to add my partner to the group today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey folks, I've been looking at this recently and as a side note, I was wondering how people are finding new developments to chase down? At the moment, I'm only finding the odd ones that I stumble across in my trips to the shops, friends, work etc. Is there a website or similar that I could use to see upcoming developments?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hey folks, I've been looking at this recently and as a side note, I was wondering how people are finding new developments to chase down? At the moment, I'm only finding the odd ones that I stumble across in my trips to the shops, friends, work etc. Is there a website or similar that I could use to see upcoming developments?

Cheers!

Where abouts are you looking/considering Red?

Where abouts are you looking/considering Red?

Living in south Dublin and looking for options from south dublin down towards Wexford really. Maybe kildare to west dublin also?

Just interested to see what's out there :)

• Advertisement

Cheers!

You can set up alerts on Daft for whatever property search your interested in?

GingerLily wrote: »
    You can set up alerts on Daft for whatever property search your interested in?

Does Daft track new housing developments also?

Does Daft track new housing developments also?

Both Daft and MyHome do it. I just have it set as an alert for the areas I’m interested in

Daft results for South Co. Dublin - Filtered for New Developments:
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/property-for-sale/south-co-dublin/?ad_type=sale&advanced=1&s%5Badvanced%5D=1&s%5Bnew%5D=1&searchSource=sale

Daft results for Wicklow - Filtered for New Developments:
    https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/property-for-sale/?ad_type=sale&advanced=1&s%5Badvanced%5D=1&s%5Bnew%5D=1&searchSource=sale

Daft results for Wexford - Filtered for New Developments:
    https://www.daft.ie/wexford/property-for-sale/?ad_type=sale&advanced=1&s%5Badvanced%5D=1&s%5Bnew%5D=1&searchSource=sale

IrishTimes pieces from January on New Developments for 2019:
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/new-homes-schemes-in-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-rathdown-1.3774565
    South Co. Dublin: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/new-homes-schemes-in-south-dublin-1.3774551
    Commuter Towns (includes Wicklow): https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/new-homes-schemes-in-commuter-counties-1.3774536

Also worth looking at Estate Agents & Developers dedicated pages for New Developments. The Estate Agents pages will generally just replicate what's on Daft, Property.ie etc. The developers often have some (minor) details of developments not yet started.

Estate Agents:
    DNG: https://www.dng.ie/newhomesresidential
    Savills: https://search.savills.com/ie/en/list?SearchList=Id_4458+Category_RegionCountyCountry%27Id_6500+Category_RegionCountyCountry%27Id_46029+Category_RegionCountyCountry&SearchModeConstraintEnum=PropertyTypes&Tenure=GRS_T_B&Currency=EUR&Period=Week&PropertyTypes=GRS_PT_ND&ResidentialSizeUnit=SquareFeet&LandAreaUnit=Acre&SaleableAreaUnit=SquareFeet&AvailableSizeUnit=SquareFeet&Category=GRS_CAT_RES&LocationKey=ireland&Shapes=W10
    Kelly Walsh: https://kellywalsh.ie/residential/new-developments/
    Knight Frank: https://www.knightfrank.ie/new-homes

Developers:
    Cairn: https://www.cairnhomes.com/new-homes/
    Castlethorn: https://castlethorn.ie/projects
    Glenveagh: https://glenveagh.ie/homes/
    Gannon: http://www.gannonhomes.ie/new-home-developments/
    Coliemore: https://www.coliemorehomes.ie/developments
    Harcourt: https://harcourtdev.com/new-homes
    Liam Neville: http://www.liamneville.ie/current-developments/
    Victoria: http://www.victoriahomes.ie/our-developments/
    Durkan: http://www.durkanresidential.ie/developments/

But of course, Boards is also a great resource. Always threads popping up for new developments in here, and in region-specific forums too!

Best of luck in your search.

ridiculously helpful post

Dude that's amazing!!! Thanks a million!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Hi everyone, I run my p21s every year and they usually balance out. For this scheme it asked me to submit form 12 and for 2015 it now says I owe 1600 euro and this will be taken out of my tax credits over the next two years. How did this happen? My p21 at the time was fine. My employer I presume is responsible for making sure I pay tax and I’ve never earned more than 30k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can’t upload contract as file is too big, has anyone encountered this issue before?

edit - sorted, i just compressed to smaller file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Is it the Loan Offer letter that you need to upload to Revenue along with the signed contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

Is it the Loan Offer letter that you need to upload to Revenue along with the signed contracts?

When do you do this? We signed contracts about 6 weeks ago but nothing has happened to your help to buy. We haven't heard from our solicitor or the developer.

• Advertisement

When do you do this? We signed contracts about 6 weeks ago but nothing has happened to your help to buy. We haven't heard from our solicitor or the developer.

Once you get the counter-signed contract back, you need to upload them and proof of mortgage (loan offer?) to the revenue site. After that you give the resultant codes to the builder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Should contracts specifically mention HTB?

Builder not currently listed as Registered Qualifying Contractor. He assures me that the paperwork is very straightforward and that it will be completed.

The concern would be you sign contract and it later turns out that he is ineligible for whatever reason and I then find myself committed to a real purchase price 5% greater than originally anticipated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

KylieWyley wrote: »
    Should contracts specifically mention HTB?

Builder not currently listed as Registered Qualifying Contractor. He assures me that the paperwork is very straightforward and that it will be completed.

The concern would be you sign contract and it later turns out that he is ineligible for whatever reason and I then find myself committed to a real purchase price 5% greater than originally anticipated.

Yes your contract should have a clause re HTB. Also if the HTB money is needed to buy the house as part of funds, it’s an issue for the bank. They usually have a condition that they builder needs to eligible or require a letter from the builder that received the HTB funds. Talk to your solicitor but I’d be reluctant to sign contracts until the builder is sorted. Or unless your solicitor had a clause In there that the contract is signed strictly subject to HTB funds been drawdown. From what I understand, usually clearance isn’t given to a builder of they have outstanding tax issues with revenue.

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Yes your contract should have a clause re HTB. Also if the HTB money is needed to buy the house as part of funds, it’s an issue for the bank. They usually have a condition that they builder needs to eligible or require a letter from the builder that received the HTB funds. Talk to your solicitor but I’d be reluctant to sign contracts until the builder is sorted. Or unless your solicitor had a clause In there that the contract is signed strictly subject to HTB funds been drawdown. From what I understand, usually clearance isn’t given to a builder of they have outstanding tax issues with revenue.

I had assumed this should be the case. Unfortunately, my solicitor hadn't picked up on this omission (along with other important details) which gave me cause for concern that he didn't have his eye on the ball.

Thanks for your response. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly cautious!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

i have a query regarding the help to buy ,HTB has been done and we have the pin
    We paid the €5k deposit to the developer and we then received our loan offer from the bank
    Then we met with our solicitor and signed the contracts and gave the developer our pin for the HTB
    I rang revenue a few days ago as i came across the thread where some said "Once you get the counter-signed contract back, you need to upload them and proof of mortgage (loan offer?) to the revenue site. After that you give the resultant codes to the builder"and they said that the developer uploads these so i am now very confused

Do we have to upload the contracts signed by us and the developer to revenue and the loan offer signed so that they can claim the money or does the developer upload them and claim
    Thanks in advance

You yourself have to do it. The developer isn't going to have your loan offer letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Just paid down a deposit of a house thinking this would help. Never earned more than 30k the last 4 years thanks to zero hour contract work and wife only working since last year.

Presuming I will get a pretty crap figure. Was hoping for about 12k.

scabo33 wrote: »
    Just paid down a deposit of a house thinking this would help. Never earned more than 30k the last 4 years thanks to zero hour contract work and wife only working since last year.

Presuming I will get a pretty crap figure. Was hoping for about 12k.

If you look back at your P60s for previous years or log into your Revenue myAccount, you'll get a good idea of how much tax you've paid over the past years and how much you might be entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

You yourself have to do it. The developer isn't going to have your loan offer letter.

I was thinking the same ,good to see the staff at the revenue are well clued in
    Solicitor got the signed contract for us today so going to upload tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,278 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Is it common/normal/correct that we have to pay the 10% ourselves, and then the developer will refund our 5% (via HTB) upon handing over of keys?

I thought they would take 5% from us, and 5% from HTB, but our contract is stating they want the 10%. Frustrating as it will mean we have zero cash to start paying for things until after we are moved in and the refund issued.

Also means we need the full deposit in order to buy the house.... which is not what I thought the HTB would be about.

If (as above) we pay the 10% get counter signed contract back, upload to revenue, get code, give code to Developer; should they be refunding the 5% as soon as they get it or can they hold on to it the sale is closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

No that's not normal, you should be paying 5% and the other 5% coming from the help to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

No that's not normal, you should be paying 5% and the other 5% coming from the help to buy

Agreed. This is standard. You can have awkward builders that insist on 10% but release the 5% once they receive the help to buy funds. But that is even uncommon since it’s more work for the builder taking money and giving it back. Talk to your solicitor and ask them to go back on this term in the contract if contacts haven’t been signed.

We paid 10% and claimed 5% back at drawdown, it suited us. AFAIK some developers are being awkward about allowing HTB as part of contracts signing.

It is against the spirit of the grant but I believe its allowed!

Is your developer on the list of qualifying developers? If not, then you'd be in a spot of bother as they wouldn't get the 5% until they're approved, and thus wouldn't be refunding you anything.

Thank you all, confirms what i thought, them being annoying but maybe little we can do about it. No signed yet so will see if the solicitor can do something for us.

When our developer tried to claim the grant they get an error saying code invalid but it's correct. Has anyone had this experience? Our solicitor has been no use.

When our developer tried to claim the grant they get an error saying code invalid but it's correct. Has anyone had this experience? Our solicitor has been no use.

Best bet would be to get on to the Revenue about it.

I assume its the code after uploading your counter-signed contract to the revenue you are having the issue with. I've not got that far in the process myself yet - we should get our counter signed contract back next week so I'll (my wife...) will be on to that step then.

Best bet would be to get on to the Revenue about it.

I assume its the code after uploading your counter-signed contract to the revenue you are having the issue with. I've not got that far in the process myself yet - we should get our counter signed contract back next week so I'll (my wife...) will be on to that step then.

We haven't uploaded anything to revenue. Our solicitor hasn't mentioned anything about doing it. They just asked for the codes.

We haven't uploaded anything to revenue. Our solicitor hasn't mentioned anything about doing it. They just asked for the codes.

There are two codes. First code us your access code which is your approval for HTB.

You sign your contract.
    That is sent to the vendor solicitor.
    They send back a counter signed contract.
    You upload that counter signed contract to the revenue.
    You then get a new code which is the code for claiming the grant.
    You give that new code to the vendor, that's the code they are looking for.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your developer can't claim the grant until you upload signed contracts to revenue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement