Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating timer stopped!!

Options
  • 26-06-2007 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me. As the title says, the timer for my central heating seems to have stopped.

I went to switch on my heating the other night (it has been off for ages because of the lovely weather) and noticed that the time on the clock was wrong, so I fixed the time and set it to come on for 30 mins. I didn't take any notice of the time being wrong as I thought it might have been due to a power cut or something like that. Anyway after an hour or so I noticed that the heat was still on, so went investigating and the clock hadn't moved at all. So I turned off the heating and reset the time again - and no move since. So I guess my question is - can it be fixed? Or is it dead? It's only there about 15 months as it's a new house.

I tried searching on the net, but couldn't find anything. I did find sites selling batteries for timers, but I always thought they worked off the mains.

Attached is a pic of mine as I know there are loads of different models out there. Apologies for the quality - it was taken with the phone, but you'll get the idea.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thats a manual clock chuckles ,it doesn't need batteries.
    You might just have got a dud clock . I hate those things though ,if it needs to be replaced get a digital one instead.

At the moment ,I install Danfoss clocks. Was installing horsmann ,but the danfoss ones are really easy to control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Mechanical Timers don't have a battery ...... when they pack up it's a trip to the re-cycle centre .... :)

Electronic(Digital) Timers do have a battery and it's function is simply to keep the Computer within the Timer powered up during 'Power Outs' ..... this maintains not only the time clock but also any programs you have input ..... I've never heard of a battery being replaced .....

in our part of the country you could expect up to 1/2 a dozen power outs a year and if you had to re-input, often quite complex programs(daily ..... weekends ....friday nights etc etc) it would be a real pain .....:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ahh the old APT suitable timer. A fairly decent unit for what it is expected to do. I have never seen one needing to be replaced, we have installed 100s of them in the past. Typically they are replaced with a battery backed up 24Hr Seven day unit. That unit you have is about €25 worth and a digital battery backed up unit will set you back about €45- €60. S0 rather then getting it fixed , I'd get it replaced (only thing is that sometimes space is an issue the APT timer has the same footprint as a single socket, while the digital ones have the footprint of a twin socket and sometimes these units are tucked away in a corner so watch that with your replacement)

as _Brian_ suggested Danfoss are decent

BTW the unit should not have just stopped working, I'd check the size of the MCB to make sure that there is no posibility of an over current melting the contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Thanks guys - I'll just have to get it replaced then.

Stoner - how would I go about checking the size of the MCB? Is it a diy thing or would the electrician be able to check it out when he comes to fit the new one? I presume I should get a pro to fit the new one.......or is it something that be could be done diy?

The best I ever got out of a mechanical Time switch (Immersion) was ten years ..... :rolleyes:

and then .... :confused:

the clock stoped !!!! ..... :(

So I fitted a super duper Electronic switch .... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi chuckles30, as you can see from Hobies remark they dont fail much. I spoke to our head quality guy here and he has never heard of them giving trouble either.

There should be a 20 Amp MCB feeding this time clock (or fuse if your wiring is old) so check your distributionboard/ fuse board and look for a 20AMp unit.

To tell you the truch these units are easy when you know how, but the first one or two you do can be tricky, IMO you'd need a sparks to hook it up, and it is a 15- 20 Min job max (unless something else is found)

*Edit* just noticed maybe Hobie is saying they are not good! anyway I think everyone agrees that the digital one with a battery back up is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'll probably go digital when I have to replace it at all & then I'll try and find an electrician who'll actually show up for a small job like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Macer123

Just being doing a search regarding this problem. I have 4 identical timers and two have stopped working i.e. the clock is not turning. There is power going to the timer because if you set the switch to "on" the boiler works and the light on the timer lights up.
    These timers are approx 8 months old.
    We had a power cut in the last few days, any chance this could be related?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Funny, I have the exact same APT timer in my house, new house, and it failed within 10 months.

Still haven't gotten a new one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I have the exact same Apt timer clock and it stopped working 2 weeks ago. Trying to think how long ago it was installed, max 12 months probably 10 mnths. All the sparks in the job say " Thats unusual , they normally last years " The old Clock workd for about 15 years or more. Bad batch or what ?

secman

• Advertisement

heh could be. Don't happen to be living in Kilmessan do you? My neighbours stopped too now that I think about it.

secman wrote:
    I have the exact same Apt timer clock and it stopped working 2 weeks ago. Trying to think how long ago it was installed, max 12 months probably 10 mnths. All the sparks in the job say " Thats unusual , they normally last years " The old Clock workd for about 15 years or more. Bad batch or what ?

secman

If there is a bad batch (and it seems there might be) I would contact the manufacturer and ask for an explanation and replacement .....

I have something like ten (10) timers controlling various devices and if I was getting failures at anything much less than 10 years I would be very dissapointed .... :cool:

A trick I always follow whenever putting in an electrical/mechanical device is to mark the date of purchase on the device with a permanent marker (on the back/underneath of course :rolleyes:) .... heaters ...radios .... time clocks .... even CFL bulbs etc etc ..... you will be surprised the feedback it gives you ..... :)

I've had no luck on the web trying to find the manufacturer, anyone do better than me ???

Macer123 wrote:
    I've had no luck on the web trying to find the manufacturer, anyone do better than me ???

Electro-Replacement Ltd
    1 Moor Park Industrial Centre
    Tolpits Lane
    Watford
    Hertfordshire
    WD18 9EU
    Tel: +44 (0)1923 255344
    Fax: +44 (0)1923 255829

Alternative contacts:

Technical Helpline +44 (0)1923 220277

APT is a trade name of the above company ....

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/7/16097/external/cov.htm?ac=

Thanks Hobie

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you might be lucky I think I have a working one of them lying around at home..
    will take a look tonight and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

This would be a perfect replacement for your clock. It is mounted with the mounting box to the right which gives you room. A lot of digital clocks require room to the right of the plate.

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/datasheet_select207xl.html

This clock will also give you boost and advance features.

Price between €50 and €60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I am having the exact same problem. How much did an electrician charge to replace the timer?

thanks,
    Kaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i replace lots of apts.They are the most popular 'mechanical timer' in fairness . The clock stops and they have to be operated manually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Kazbah wrote: »
    I am having the exact same problem. How much did an electrician charge to replace the timer?

thanks,
    Kaz
    They are pretty easy to replace. Just make 110% sure you have switched the electricity off ( :D ) - then unscrew current timer. Then unscrew the three wires - BUT make sure you note which wire went into which slot ....maybe mark each wire with a dab of paint or something.
    Then slot them in to the replacement timer (i think i paid €40-50 for a new one). Screw back in and switch power back on and thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Eurorunner wrote: »
    They are pretty easy to replace. Just make 110% sure you have switched the electricity off ( :D ) - then unscrew current timer. Then unscrew the three wires - BUT make sure you note which wire went into which slot ....maybe mark each wire with a dab of paint or something.
    Then slot them in to the replacement timer (i think i paid €40-50 for a new one). Screw back in and switch power back on and thats it.

Thanks, I wouldn't feel confident to do it myself. How much do you think an electrican should charge to come out and do it?

My replacement APT timer has broken again , ffs. I think it happened when the power went out. Such a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Slaanesh wrote: »
    My replacement APT timer has broken again , ffs. I think it happened when the power went out. Such a pain.

Had some problems with power outages before, digital time clock and broadband router. Might be handy to have some kind of surge protector fitted, good ones detect both surges along with outages, most are plug board type, not sure but must be some kind of surge protector avail for elec boards.

ya.there's a modular type for fuseboards.
    local protection is recommended as well for sensitive equipment.

just need to be careful when replacing an apt with a 'digital' model that boiler can still be isolated safely via a local double socket or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

davelerave wrote: »
    ya.there's a modular type for fuseboards.
    local protection is recommended as well for sensitive equipment.

Sound, knew their must be something, for future whats it called, modular rcd rcb something like that?

prob a 'modular' SPD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭zuzu

my good auld reliable apt timer has blown. think it was when there was a power cut because of the nice weather we're having. can anyone recommend a good digital replacement? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Hey guys.. went to turn on the heating there and the display on my digital heating control is totally blank. Now theres been no power cut and it normally works as it has a battery back up.. Its a staeffer rbw100. Tried to find a manual online or troubleshooting faq but theres nothing helpful. Anyone know if this happens often? i think it happened once before and just started back working itself..

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I have the same problem with my apt timer - use it to control lighting an gate pillars outside. Have one also attached to bolier and this one has never gone, while the unit for lights has gone 3 times in approx. 7 years, always after a power outage:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Anyone anyway technically minded can replace a timer unit. Just make sure you isolate the power before messing around with it!

I was going to replace my mechanical timer, then I relaised it was 20 years old and working perfect as if it was new.

They don't make them like they used to so I'm hanging on to it!

Advertisement