Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Meath to city centre

Options
  • 30-01-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

We are looking at moving out from Dublin to somewhere like Ratoath or Dunboyne to buy. Need to get into the Docklands and Grafton St. area respectively. Currently renting in Donabate, the commute by train is alright (about 40 mins) but driving in and out is an absolute nightmare and there's some unbridled housing development going on with no amenities, so we're hoping to move away and South Meath seems like a good fit.

Could people give their honest opinion (the good, the bad, the ugly!) on whether commuting from Ratoath or Dunboyne would be feasible, enjoyable, affordable, all or none of the above.

We have a young child so don't want to spend our entire lives commuting, and happy to drive part of the way.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I get the feeling you are not aware of the Docklands train. Or the new luas link from broombridge to Stephens Green?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Parkway_railway_station

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Greermua

I'm aware of them, had a look on Google Maps etc. but I'm looking for people's actual experiences of using them. Is it a pleasant experience, is the public transport reliable and fairly punctual or is it a total disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Join the club of your cohorts!

Some kind of public transport is essential. Who wants to drive for hours. Where do you park up anyway, and is it free?

Commuting is a pain, but has to be done. I would not consider anywhere that did not have a train connection. Tough as that may be. Ratoath is out, but has Dunboyne got a train, I think it has. Nice spot too.

Never rely on your car. It won't work that often, but I accept that people have to drop children off to creche or school too.

Best of luck to you. Keep a train connection in mind. It might not be your first choice, but it is generally reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Post in the meath section and you should get a few people doing your commute

Greermua wrote: »
    I'm aware of them, had a look on Google Maps etc. but I'm looking for people's actual experiences of using them. Is it a pleasant experience, is the public transport reliable and fairly punctual or is it a total disaster?

Docklands train is great. Fast. Its just over crowded as are all trains these days. But at least its fast. The Luas I don't know. Not tried it. Sounds like its also badly overcrowded.

Driving is as bad as everywhere else it. Only do it, off peak if you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Docklands is a good service. Overcrowded at peak times

Leaving in the evenings the 5:25 and 5:55 are packed solid but before and after this are pretty quiet

It’s fast and comfortable. Dunboyne should be a good option

Jump off at broombridge for the Luas. First stop so should be no issues at all. Coming back I don’t know,

The 6.25pm is packed at times now. 18 months maybe even 12 months ago that train was mainly empty. Big change in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Greermua

Cheers everyone. Lots to ponder over!

Advertisement